Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I couldn't find an appropriate sub forum, so hope this is okay here...

What do some of you solo adventurers use for an emergency communication protocol?

I went out a couple of days ago and ended up lost in a pretty remote area where the heat was 115 degrees and I was feeling pretty stupid for not having a plan, or way to get to a safe area if I ended up stranded for any reason. I had water and sneakers, but was thinking a 10-20 mile walk through the desert if I had some car failure or something could possibly be the end of me.

So, what's your emergency protocol for you solo adventurers?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

What do some of you solo adventurers use for an emergency communication protocol?

I went out a couple of days ago and ended up lost in a pretty remote area where the heat was 115 degrees and I was feeling pretty stupid for not having a plan, or way to get to a safe area if I ended up stranded for any reason. I had water and sneakers, but was thinking a 10-20 mile walk through the desert if I had some car failure or something could possibly be the end of me.

I run with both GMRS (15 watt Midland MXT275), CB, and hand held GMRS. I also use a Garmin (Delorme SE) Inreach satellite communicator. It can summon emergency services just about anywhere in the world and the cost is not cheap, but reasonable. They also offer insurance to cover the cost of the rescue at a very reasonable price. Plus, friends and family can track your location on a password secured web site. It really works well and it interfaces with a Garmin Overlander navigation unit.

And then, of course, there is the cell phone. Lol!

Last edited:

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
In a more general sense, always make sure someone knows where you are going and when you expect to be back, and check in with them after the trip is completed. If you don't check in, they can start making inquires.

OP
OP
xylodan

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I run with both GMRS (15 watt Midland MXT275), CB, and hand held GMRS. I also use a Garmin Inreach satellite communicator. It can summon emergency services just about anywhere in the world and the cost is not cheap, but reasonable. They also offer insurance to cover the cost of the rescue at a very reasonable price. Plus, friends and family can track your location on a password secured web site. It really works well and it interfaces with a Garmin Overlander navigation unit.

And then, of course, there is the cell phone. Lol!
Thanks, that Garmin Inreach satellite looks appropriate and was on my list.
Cell phone reception is not something I want to 100% depend on.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited

As noted already, have a plan and share the plan. As a backcountry hiker sometimes you are solo but tools such as inReach or similar items are good to go. Also phone, radio(s) and awareness of conditions of your route either foot or vehicle.

The one other bit I can offer is have the plan, and share the plan as noted. Wear you are going, when and where you will stop, check in times (a simple "I'm ok" via personal location devices) for others to get as well as follow you. If plans change (vehicle break down, change of trail conditions) assess before, do I stay or go, if I stay how long, if you don't hear from me, I am heading here, leave a note on the change of plan. Have the proper gear for changes , know conditions -rain, cold, walk, closest camp/waystation etc.). Always be prepared with first aid needs and basic items (tools, knowledge) as well as points that are a go/no go.

Most of all, if you don't feel ready don't go, and if you do go, go with others.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, that Garmin Inreach satellite looks appropriate and was on my list.
Cell phone reception is not something I want to 100% depend on.
There are a couple others and I think they all work pretty well. I'm well into the Garmin Eco-system, so that's why I went with them. Plus their hardware tends to be top notch, too, as is their customer support. But I've heard good things about SPOT, too. I don't even remember the brand name of the other, but I saw a pretty good YouTube review of it.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Garmin InReach is well worth the money... You have the option of activating the service only when you are going solo... on a per month basis ... also.. when you text somebody the system will add a map with your exact location at the time you sent the message.. Brilliant !

Last edited:

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Prior to either touring on my bagger, hiking, Jeeping, I send my Garmin map share link, routes, and lodging locations to my 2 kids. I have been using an inReach Explorer since 2015. Aside from the monthly GPS fee, I also subscribe to an annual rescue/recovery plan.
The noted is addition to a CB and Ham radio when Jeeping. Gaia GPS Premium is my go to set-up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Your Emergency Communication Protocol When Solo'ing 2B5E8A9D-ABE3-4F07-8DAF-918D816A4173

Last edited:
OP
OP
xylodan

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks all. I too am already embedded in the Garmin ecosystem so that seems like my smartest route. The annual recovery/help plan sounds wise as my situation has me in a new area where I know nobody so do need to lean on paid services to bail me out if needed.

I don't think I'll go in any crazy remote areas in 110 degree heat again though. As I was out there I had a fearful amount of time realizing that if my Jeep broke down I'd probably end up dead so I'm glad I got to have a learning moment without getting into real trouble.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I run 3 types of radios in my Jeep. CB, GMRS, and ham. The ham radio has access to repeaters that have a surprising amount of coverage (at least in Colorado and Utah). And the radio in my Jeep can push 50w so I can punch through a lot better than the other radios. I tend to avoid spending a lot of time around "ham enthusiasts" for a couple of reasons. But it's nice to have an extra way to get in touch with people in an emergency.

Beyond that, it's pretty much been covered. Have a plan. Let others know when you leave and come back. Take extra supplies (food/water) just in case. Use a good standalone GPS that lets you retrace breadcrumb trails. And have some kind of emergency communications system that will always get through.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I run 3 types of radios in my Jeep. CB, GMRS, and ham. The ham radio has access to repeaters that have a surprising amount of coverage (at least in Colorado and Utah). And the radio in my Jeep can push 50w so I can punch through a lot better than the other radios. I tend to avoid spending a lot of time around "ham enthusiasts" for a couple of reasons. But it's nice to have an extra way to get in touch with people in an emergency.

Beyond that, it's pretty much been covered. Have a plan. Let others know when you leave and come back. Take extra supplies (food/water) just in case. Use a good standalone GPS that lets you retrace breadcrumb trails. And have some kind of emergency communications system that will always get through.
One of these days I'm going to go after that HAM license. But I'm with you on the HAM crowd, and good chance it is for the same reasons. But the benefits of HAM can't be denied, and it is really fascinating on top of that.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
One of these days I'm going to go after that HAM license. But I'm with you on the HAM crowd, and good chance it is for the same reasons. But the benefits of HAM can't be denied, and it is really fascinating on top of that.
Ham radio is really fascinating to some people. Personally, I know enough to run APRS, chat with people out on the trails on 2m/70cm, and hook up to the repeater networks that I may need in an emergency. And that's about it.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I carry a SPOT with me. Similar to the inreach garmin folks are talking about. I can share my location with family, and I can call for rescuing services if necessary. I bought it over 10 years ago and still going strong.

My SPOT is my last resource though, I hope I never have to use it. You should never, ever, go out exploring somewhere remote with a chance of getting lost. Bring a compass and a map at the minimum. Nowadays the best thing to bring is a GPS. You can even use your own phone with a GPS app that lets you download maps. You should never get lost at this day and age.

Your Jeep having a mechanical failure is another story. That can happen to anyone. I always carry a backpacking tent + sleeping bag + sleeping pad + some food and water. In the case my Jeep fails in the middle of nowhere, I'll use my satellite emergency device and set up camp to spend the night. This guarantees survival until I get rescued.

You don't need to carry that much crap with you. Just a simple plan, and simple gear to spend the night.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I carry a SPOT with me. Similar to the inreach garmin folks are talking about. I can share my location with family, and I can call for rescuing services if necessary. I bought it over 10 years ago and still going strong.

My SPOT is my last resource though, I hope I never have to use it. You should never, ever, go out exploring somewhere remote with a chance of getting lost. Bring a compass and a map at the minimum. Nowadays the best thing to bring is a GPS. You can even use your own phone with a GPS app that lets you download maps. You should never get lost at this day and age.

Your Jeep having a mechanical failure is another story. That can happen to anyone. I always carry a backpacking tent + sleeping bag + sleeping pad + some food and water. In the case my Jeep fails in the middle of nowhere, I'll use my satellite emergency device and set up camp to spend the night. This guarantees survival until I get rescued.

You don't need to carry that much crap with you. Just a simple plan, and simple gear to spend the night.
The SPOT is an excellent unit! I used one for a couple of years until I switched over to the DeLorme inReach Explorer, which is now Garmin. I will use this current legacy unit until it is no longer supported.
Sponsored