Sponsored

Worried about getting too heavy

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I took my off 35" Duratrac and 17" Moto Metal rim last week and couldn't believe the difference in power from ditching the extra weight.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I took my off 35" Duratrac and 17" Moto Metal rim last week and couldn't believe the difference in power from ditching the extra weight.
That's the equivalent of, what...a 12 year old in your passenger seat? I'm all for keeping weight down but I don't think my butt dyno would detect that.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's the equivalent of, what...a 12 year old in your passenger seat? I'm all for keeping weight down but I don't think my butt dyno would detect that.
Rotating mass affects acceleration and braking differently than payload

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You do realize D60's talking about the spare tire, right?

Not sure 847s comment was about the spare or changing all 4 wheels/tires....when I read it, I took it as the spare as well. Considering he didn't say what he replaced them with, I think it's safe to assume he meant the spare.

I'll let him clarify if he wants.......
Lol, if he's talking about the spare than I'll stand down :CWL:

t0mills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
It's real easy to add weight to these things. This is what mine weighs with just me in the driver seat. Add in a passenger and you'd be right at the GVWR (5,350lbs).
This is a '20 model with manual transmission and cloth interior.

20200417_114645.jpg
20200417_114705.jpg

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
not a bad price for what youre getting IF theyre made by a reputable brake manufacturer. im sure Teraflex is outsourcing production of those. could be a cheap Chinese brand; seems like it at that price, especially considering teraflex than slaps their profit/mark up on it. and they use proprietary brake pads which id never want. you can only source them from Teraflex. what happens if they stop making them or the company goes out of business? and you cant just go to pep boys and grab some pads. thats a reason im not a fan of wilwoods. i have brembos on my mustang. i can get pads from numerous suppliers made by numerous manufacturers.
I recall reading somewhere that the Teraflex kit uses Ram pads, front and rear. But now I can't find it. It might be worth a call to Teraflex to find out. I agree with your sentiments that Teraflex is good at outsourcing and / or rebranding.
The pads that are used in that kit are Toyota pads that can purchased from just about anywhere.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Lol, if he's talking about the spare than I'll stand down :CWL:
Obviously without his clarification, we are commenting on what we think he is referring to. I read it to mean his spare as well, since the tire and wheel he spoke of was written in a singular nonplural form.

Croomrider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKR
What color is that? I really like it!

PS: Found out it is Silver in the build thread. I thought so, but the lighting in this picture gives it a tannish tint, which really looks nice. Love your build!

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It's real easy to add weight to these things. This is what mine weighs with just me in the driver seat. Add in a passenger and you'd be right at the GVWR (5,350lbs).
This is a '20 model with manual transmission and cloth interior.

20200417_114645.jpg
20200417_114705.jpg
So you're, say, 4900ish?

Curious how you got there? Based upon gravel yard scales that's almost exactly where my JLUR is with 38's, MC GC lift and stock alloy wheels and plastic bumpers.

All I can figure is your wheels, bumpers and maybe skidplates underneath? Not bashing you, just surprised to see a 2 door weigh what my 4 door does (my weight was including tools and stuff I usually carry EXCEPT my ARB cooler 'cause I don't really consider that a permanent fixture)

t0mills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
So you're, say, 4900ish?

Curious how you got there? Based upon gravel yard scales that's almost exactly where my JLUR is with 38's, MC GC lift and stock alloy wheels and plastic bumpers.

All I can figure is your wheels, bumpers and maybe skidplates underneath? Not bashing you, just surprised to see a 2 door weigh what my 4 door does (my weight was including tools and stuff I usually carry EXCEPT my ARB cooler 'cause I don't really consider that a permanent fixture)

There's a full mod-list in my build thread, but when that weight/pic was taken it only had bumpers/winch/wheels/tires/lift/shocks/snorkel. The only interior accessory at that time was an ARB dual compressor mounted under the passenger seat and an ARB recovery strap in the back floor storage compartment.

Since then i've added PSC hydro assist, RCVs, 1350 driveshafts and finished out the audio stuff. I'm sure it's a little heavier now.
Sponsored