Sponsored

Worried about getting too heavy

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
As I'm planning my build, I'm starting to get concerned about weight. I took my Jeep to the scales today to get an idea on baseline. For reference, this is a 2019 JLR, soft top, plastic bumper, no tow, full fuel with ~50 pounds of tools/misc. on board. My only weight changing mod thus far is wheels, which add MAYBE 35 pounds. It weighed in at 4450 without me in it. I already purchased a Motobilt Crusher stubby front bumper (+75 pounds), Smittybuilt X20 Synthetic line winch (+75), and ROAM sliders (+50). My plans include 37" tires (+100 for KO2s, +150 for Ridge Grapplers), tire carrier rear bumper (+100 minimum), lift/upgraded suspension bits (+~50), and assorted skids (+~150). By my math, with just me in the Jeep (I shop in the "husky" section of Sears), I'm at or over GVWR. As I look around at the many awesome builds on here, it seems like many folks must be busting GVWR. Is this a concern? Am I over-analyzing? I'm not terribly concerned about 0-60 times or fuel economy, but I am concerned about safety. Looking forward to anyone's perspective.
Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Insurance companies love to find reasons to deny claims. I believe the probability of that being a problem are low, but if it is a problem, it could potentially be a life-changing one.

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Weight, IMO, should always be a concern. However, you're not going to get a JLUR or JLR really ready to tackle the trails and not sustain considerable damage without the armor you're putting on.
Should you be concerned about going over GVWR? Not IMO...but you should probably be cognizant of the amount of weight you're adding and plan accordingly.
Well, that's what's throwing me for a loop. Nothing in my build plan seems out of the mainstream. I'm probably choosing the lightest 37" tire there is, I'm not adding ANY Overlanding gear, and I'm not adding any other significant weight. Yet it still seems like I'll easily exceed GVWR. I guess when wheeling, I generally remove the doors and the rear seat, so that helps. But when DD'ing, with ANY passengers, I'll be over by hundreds of pounds.

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Insurance companies love to find reasons to deny claims. I believe the probability of that being a problem are low, but if it is a problem, it could potentially be a life-changing one.
ATTENTION INSURANCE ROBOT OVERLORDS, MY JEEP IS NOT NOW, NOR EVER WILL BE, OVER GVWR.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
When you upgrade the suspension it will be able to handle more weight. Depending on what is in the back of the rig, you can upgrade to an extra inch in the back to compensate. Generally though, expect to not see exactly 3.5" from a 3.5" lift sitting still. You can get shocks that are adjustable (Falcon 3.3) for a stiffer ride on the streets and a softer ride off the street.

I can't speak for the insurance stuff.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
When you upgrade the suspension it will be able to handle more weight.
But, will your upgraded suspension help you maintain the original emergency stopping distance of your overweight vehicle? The four year old boy that just wandered into the street without looking both ways does not care what suspension your Jeep has.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
But, will your upgraded suspension help you maintain the original emergency stopping distance of your overweight vehicle? The four year old boy that just wandered into the street without looking both ways does not care what suspension your Jeep has.
You can also upgrade your brakes. If you went beefier axles or just bigger brakes then you can't even really rely on that factory GVWR any more.

One of the factors that go into braking distance is how much the vehicle loads the front wheels. If you upgrade your suspension it can help negate that effect, so it isn't just a simple "car heavy = bad braking distance" kind of thing.

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tire compound or road surface condition would have equal or greater affect on stopping distance than weight.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
These are rated to tow 3,500lbs, (on a trailer with no brakes because they didn't give us a trailer brake controller option), so I wouldn't worry about the bare vehicle being a little over GVWR.

I pulled a 2,000lb trailer around this summer, it handled it really well in terms of braking, handling, etc. Only issue was the V6 with no torque...haha

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
In the world we live in, the lawyers can work around a lot. You can add 1-ton running gear and in the eyes of the world, it’s still goes by the sticker on the door jamb. I’m not sure if any way to legally change that reasonably easy. That said, the tires and wheels are where the rubber meets the road and what I would be concerned about building off from

Brett

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
It's OK guys they have a new remote control coming out that will allow you, your friends and family to stay home when off roading your beloved Jeeps. This will give you some weight loss factor! Don't forget to turn on your GoPros before your Jeep leaves so you can enjoy your Off Road adventure!

Go Jeep!!!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
These are rated to tow 3,500lbs, (on a trailer with no brakes because they didn't give us a trailer brake controller option), so I wouldn't worry about the bare vehicle being a little over GVWR.

I pulled a 2,000lb trailer around this summer, it handled it really well in terms of braking, handling, etc. Only issue was the V6 with no torque...haha
Towing weight effects GCWR not GVWR

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
does wheel size and tire really add to weight the same way stuff you mount to the frame???? how does that make any sense?
Wheel and tire weight has a larger effect, since it has rotational inertia in addition to translational.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Tire compound or road surface condition would have equal or greater affect on stopping distance than weight.
What are you saying? It’s ok to be overweight if you only travel on surfaces with a high traction?
Sponsored