Sponsored

Wool Wax for Undercarriage?

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Anyone here use Wool Wax on the underside of their Jeep to protect from rust?

I live in the NE and after just a couple years, rust starts forming on new under carriages....

I have heard great things about WoolWax and Fluid Film....

But I am wondering --- they say WoolWax never really dries so it "self heals" when scraped etc.....and they say that a little dirt embedded in it is actually good...

But for Jeeps that will see MUD and WATER etc...how well does this stuff work?

Does it make everything underneath a gooey mess?
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Anyone here use Wool Wax on the underside of their Jeep to protect from rust?

I live in the NE and after just a couple years, rust starts forming on new under carriages....

I have heard great things about WoolWax and Fluid Film....

But I am wondering --- they say WoolWax never really dries so it "self heals" when scraped etc.....and they say that a little dirt embedded in it is actually good...

But for Jeeps that will see MUD and WATER etc...how well does this stuff work?

Does it make everything underneath a gooey mess?
works very well! i've had one application of fluid film on the underside of my 2019 ram rebel until it was traded in March for my rubicon. it was still on there, after two PA winters. Its bugging me that i havent applied it yet on my wrangler... thats on my very soon to-do list!

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
works very well! i've had one application of fluid film on the underside of my 2019 ram rebel until it was traded in March for my rubicon. it was still on there, after two PA winters. Its bugging me that i havent applied it yet on my wrangler... thats on my very soon to-do list!
How much off-raod goo did the Ram see?

I am wishing NOW that I had done my 2012 Ram (98% onroad) back when it was new...I was leasing and didnt figure I would buy it out...well, I did....and I meant to get to some sort of rustproofing....never did. Now I am paying (inner rockers).

We are leasing the Wrangler but "may" buy it out after the 4 years is up. $100 or so is cheap insurance if it works.

But if the WW makes it a holy mess underneath not sure that would be good either....

I have used Fluid film on some parts here and there on some cars and it stays pretty wet for a while......

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
How much off-raod goo did the Ram see?

I am wishing NOW that I had done my 2012 Ram (98% onroad) back when it was new...I was leasing and didnt figure I would buy it out...well, I did....and I meant to get to some sort of rustproofing....never did. Now I am paying (inner rockers).

We are leasing the Wrangler but "may" buy it out after the 4 years is up. $100 or so is cheap insurance if it works.

But if the WW makes it a holy mess underneath not sure that would be good either....

I have used Fluid film on some parts here and there on some cars and it stays pretty wet for a while......
Honesty it was on road most of the time, only had about 11,000 miles before I traded it. The underside looked spotless, didn’t look dirty or messy or anything like that. I did use often on gravel roads, mainly to go kayaking. Never in any mud or that kind of thing.
I plan on taking my wrangler on the beach (hopefully this weekend if my NJ park pass comes) and ive read that fluid film is great protection for it. Any sand, or anything that sticks on, will of course look messy but can easily be rinsed off. And fluid film is so good that it actually bonds deep into the pores of whatever it’s applied on. The recommendation would be to reapply once a year, which I plan on doing! Goodluck with your wrangler

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

The frame is what needs the protection and that rusts from the inside out. You want a liquid that is thin enough to spray inside the frame through any unfilled holes and flow throughout. The Brit's had a product called Waxoil that was paraffin and beeswax with a petroleum based solvent that they used on the thin steel box frames of the Series Landrovers. It would flow into all the nooks and crannies leaving behind the wax when the solvent evaporated. Spraying thick gunk on the outside just makes for surface to hold the water against the frame as its contact with the steel breaks down.

Had a Porsche Speedster that looked perfect but when you scraped off the thick under coating there was no metal left underneath it. Sold it to an airframe mechanic who totally rebuilt the frame. Wish I'd kept it stored in a garage, could probably retire to the Riviera on what those cars are worth today.

Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
Fluid Film is great, just buy a few spray cans(I think I used 5 or 6). I sprayed mine within the first month. I did the same to my prior Jeeps and typically reapplied some every 2-3 years. I drive on the beach and between that and the road salt in the winter, I used to get rust within the first couple years. Since using fluid film, it doesn't happen. The JKU I traded for my JLU was 3 years old and undercarriage had no rust at all. I also use it on my 15 year old tractor(used all year for landscaping, snow removal, etc...) and it also prevents rust on that.
I spray the full undercarriage, under the hood, as much as I can inside the frame rails and I spray inside the doors(using the drain holes on the bottom).
The stuff leaves a film and dirt and dust do stick to it, but it really isn't that bad. My hands do get a bit dirty if I work on anything, but I just use gloves.

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
another +1 for Fluid Film. you can buy a bucket of the stuff too if you want to be more economical, and pour it into a sprayer of some kind. don't spray it on too thick for the first coat or it'll just drip off. do 2 lighter coats, let it dry and you're good to go.

just keep an eye on it, and reapply more - it's not super expensive.

if you're feeling really hands on, then I know some people who have great experience with POR-15 for their frames.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
CRC 6026 - I have used wool wax, fluid film, hydraulic oil, etc. never had a product work as well as the CRC. Just traded in my Wrangler and did an underbody wash. Crawled under it after it dried and no rust anywhere. Applied it over a year ago and the CRC was still 100% intact. It dries very uniform, doesn’t drip at all, and you could not really tell that I applied it.

There are some YouTube videos comparing all sorts of underbody protection and this one was a clear winner.
Sponsored