Winterizing your Wrangler

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Great idea on spraying the underneath metal components. I’ll be using 303 on my fenders and bumper. And a very solid coat of wax.

Not so much worried about the snow in the Chicago area, more so the chemicals they use to keep it off the streets.
It's called salt! :)
Sponsored

EMJeep

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It's called salt! :)
Yes, salt is predominately used. But where I live, the “salt” that they use is blue. Don’t know why.. but I do know that in some instances, with much colder temperatures, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are sometimes used for quicker results. It is however more expensive than just salt.

Anyways, I definitely don’t want any of that stuff causing havoc to the bottom of the Jeep.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Yes, salt is predominately used. But where I live, the “salt” that they use is blue. Don’t know why.. but I do know that in some instances, with much colder temperatures, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are sometimes used for quicker results. It is however more expensive than just salt.

Anyways, I definitely don’t want any of that stuff causing havoc to the bottom of the Jeep.
Oh, sorry, thought you were in Chicago. I can assure you the City uses salt and only salt. IDOT uses mostly salt but also may deploy calcium chloride when the temps are below 20F (magnesium chloride is not permitted in Illinois) and since they service the expressways it's possible that portions of 90/94/55/57 and 290 in the City could sometimes have something other than salt.

In any case either of those chlorides are potentially damaging to a vehicle. Having a coating probably helps but the most effective thing that can be done is to rinse it off at the first opportunity.

OP
OP
eugene

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Oh, sorry, thought you were in Chicago. I can assure you the City uses salt and only salt. IDOT uses mostly salt but also may deploy calcium chloride when the temps are below 20F (magnesium chloride is not permitted in Illinois) and since they service the expressways it's possible that portions of 90/94/55/57 and 290 in the City could sometimes have something other than salt.

In any case either of those chlorides are potentially damaging to a vehicle. Having a coating probably helps but the most effective thing that can be done is to rinse it off at the first opportunity.
its tough because at my house we turn off the hose in the winter and there is no way in hell I am bringing my new jeep into a automatic car wash that does the underbody. I have to find a friend or someone near by that has a running hose and buy some sort of attachment to rinse the underbody though. Maybe once every few weeks is enough? I am not sure.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Is the Amsoil somtbing I might want to consider getting done professionally when I get my vehicle? I’m planning on keeping it forever so I want to do everything I can to keep her mint.

Is getting a wax done as soon as I get it a bad idea? I wanna say I’ve read tour supposed to wait on getting a wax. Not sure tho
Amsoil sells the product in aerosol cans. I know there are companies that will do Fluid Film on the undercarriage of your vehicle. Look into Fluid Film as well.

Sponsored

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
I envy you guys that have warm winters. Every winter I say to myself this is the last winter I'll be up here in MN, yet here I still am. One day... I don't do anything else special for winter other than making sure my snow brush and emergency shovel are within reach. The Rubicon gets me out of any snow pile every time. And actually this year I'm going to try to avoid the highways as much as possible as we have the salt/chemical deal up here too.

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I would make sure your windshield washer fluid it topped off with fluid rated for cold weather. Check your wiper blades the stock front wiper blades look like they would not clog up with snow and ice, You may want swap the stock wiper blades with some blades made for winter weather.

In addition to winterizing the Jeep I throw in some gear. I like to carry the following gear: Shovel, ice scraper, snow brush, kitty litter (traction aid), tire chains, tow strap, extra cold weather gloves and gear.

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
I typically also get my cars ceramic coated so the snow brushes don't harm the paint as much as well as the plastics and the windows. But I'll definitely get the undercarriage coated with something since it tends to get rusted. This is my first winter with a Wrangler though so i hope I can pick a few things up from this thread.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Even though I have a couple of snow shovels---I don't shovel my ANGLED DRIVEWAY--

In my three car garage, I have two 4wd's and a TOYOTA MATRIX--sometimes the city will plow the street

I DON'T CARE !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
Is getting a wax done as soon as I get it a bad idea? I wanna say I’ve read tour supposed to wait on getting a wax. Not sure tho
I would wait 90 days from after it left the assembly line to ensure the paint has finished curing/degassing.

All I do for winter is wax in the late fall before the first road salting, lower tire pressure just a couple psi,, add full time recovery gear, a jump start battery, and cold weather cloathing.

I heard rust does not have the heat needed for the chemical reaction until above 40, so I do a really good underbody wash every spring but not so much mid winter. Have had good results over the years.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Amric

With today's automotive paint, there is no need at all to wait for "curing/degassing".

If anything it is best to clay bar and wax a newly arrived vehicle right away. The clay bar part is especially true if the vehicle was transported by rail car/train. Read up in regard to iron/steel fragments embedded into the vehicle's paint and how clay bar use can remove same.

Again, no need to wait to wax like we did years ago..

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
@Amric

With today's automotive paint, there is no need at all to wait for "curing/degassing".

If anything it is best to clay bar and wax a newly arrived vehicle right away. The clay bar part is especially true if the vehicle was transported by rail car/train. Read up in regard to iron/steel fragments embedded into the vehicle's paint and how clay bar use can remove same.

Again, no need to wait to wax like we did years ago..[/

Hey, where are you snowbirds to turn off your water during the winter time and can’t rinse off your vehicle this is what i did. I put a warm water Spicket in my garage and I hosed off my vehicle every time they put that crap down on the ground brought it home and sprayed it off it’s that easy .

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
I just park mine in my GARAGE--

There's nothing else my RUBY needs FOR WEATHER, any time of the year !

W.E.

JIMBO
but but but but... I can't park my Jeep in my Garage at my house, when I drive it to work!

When your Jeep is your ONLY mode of transportation

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
Get a hard top for winter...lol.
I would if I could... Apparently they are so back logged that I can pay $3-4k and wait 10-15 months for my top to come in. Stuipd Me for not spending that kind of money and getting the dual top. Guess I'll be able to be the California Girl I was raised to be and have my heater going and my seats warming when driving with the top down! OH yeah I did it right and bought a Convertible 4X4. Just what I wanted.
Sponsored