Sponsored

Winter Tires | What to get?

ABK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Planning ahead ... do you get winter tires for your Wrangler? If so any recommendations?
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Planning ahead ... do you get winter tires for your Wrangler? If so any recommendations?
The KO2 that come with the Rubicon are winter rated. ( got the little mountain with the snow flake) I’ll give them a try this winter. I do get winter tires for all my cars. The only pain is the storage space but it is must from my point of view.
I can already see the argument boiling in this thread lol

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
We live in Northern Nevada and get quite a bit of winter snow. We have always ran KO2s on our vehicles for the winter snow, daily driving and mud/dirt off-road. I just don’t have room for a separate set of tires so a good all-weather tire is a must. I’m running the 37” KO2s on my JLUR.

OP
OP

ABK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Where do you live and what tires are you running now?
I am running Pirelli Scorpion ATR, they are also M&S rated but thought it would be best to run winter tires instead of all season tires in winter.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
If you want winter tires, just about any of them will out-perform all terrains in snow. Just a fact that a tire dedicated to the terrain will do better. Try a snow tire in deep mud, and you'll understand.

That said, if you're not driving in the snow for performance (e.g. racing), but just to safely get out in bad conditions, then keep the all terrains on there and drive at a reasonable speed. All terrains do fine in the snow, provided you're not doing something empirically stupid with them.

See here for a write up on what I'm talking about. Snow tires are #1 and #2 in this comparison, with the K02's (stock Rubi tires) coming in 3rd:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/03/winter-tire-test-some-treads-are-better-than-others.html

Also worth noting for you "mud terrain tires look cool, so I'm going with those!" folks out there, it's fine, do what you want. But don't claim Jeeps are crap in snow. And don't come anywhere near me when it's snowing.

turk

First Name
Turk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR BW
Occupation
Industrial HVAC Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
i think worth noting is the not just the amount of snow you will be driving in bit also what kind of icing conditions you have and temperature extremes. if you live in an area with prolonged winter conditions below -15F. the point at which road salt can no longer have any effect and road sanding or worse, shaving down the ice pack to create a level surface then you are going to want a really good winter tire and ice studs.

I swear by Goodyear wrangler duratracs with 3/16 carbides. I live in a remote part of northern ontario and am forced to travel fairly often in all weather conditions. can't go wrong with that tire set up

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
This will be my first winter with the Goodyear Duratracs so we'll see how they perform! They are snow rated and can be pinned so I have to imagine they will handle the snow well.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Nokian makes an all-weather AT tire; should perform about halfway between a dedicated snow tire and a severe-service AT tire like the KO2s in snow/ice. The severe-service emblem usually indicates it's slightly better-performing than your typical M+S tire, but nowhere near a true winter tire in terms of snow/ice traction.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at-plus/

Sponsored

CapitanBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
I live in Canada, B.C. and plan to do some winter off-roading too. In winters we have lots of snow in mountains around here .. What will be the best winter tires specifically made for off-road use? I'm also using my Rubicon in the city too, but that's not an issue I guess. :)

Last edited:

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
TireRack lists no available dedicated snow tires for my JLUL Rubicon. Any ideas?