Will these wheels work?

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hey, so I just purchased a 2018 JLU Sport S last month. I just picked it up from having Smittybilt xrc bumpers installed. Because of how open the front end is the small tires are really noticeable.

I read that 35s work on stock wheels with stock suspension, but will rub a bit when off road. Will these wheels I linked work better then stock wheels? I would like to run 35s with my stock suspension. I will eventually get a lift, but it will be a while. I will probably get some flat fenders soon too, looking at DV8 slim fenders, or maybe Bushwacker, but open to suggestions.

I dont really do any off roading, the most would be some trails in the woods, nothing crazy at all.

So will these wheels work well with some all terrain 35s with the stock suspension? Is there another similar wheel I should look at? Would I be better off with 33s? Will the flat fenders help?

TACTIK 92615 3020 T-743 Wheel in Matte Black for 07-19 Jeep Wrangler JK & JL | Quadratec
https://www.quadratec.com/p/tactik/...ck-17-x-9-5-back-space-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk

Thanks

James
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
33s are about the tallest you should run on a stock Sport. I run 295/70/17s (33.3" tall) on my stock Sport S and they clear everything except a very slight rubbing at full lock on that plastic inner front bumper piece, not enough to ever be a concern IMO. 35s will work on a stock Rubicon, but a Sport I think you'll be ordering that lift ASAP. Wheels are a good choice for keeping tires closer to the fender edges.
Here's stock and w/ wheel tire update (my wheels are 17x8.5 +10 which will have a similar fit to the 17x9 +0 that you're wanting)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/new-owner-advice-please.30871/

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
33s are about the tallest you should run on a stock Sport. I run 295/70/17s (33.3" tall) on my stock Sport S and they clear everything except a very slight rubbing at full lock on that plastic inner front bumper piece, not enough to ever be a concern IMO. 35s will work on a stock Rubicon, but a Sport I think you'll be ordering that lift ASAP. Wheels are a good choice for keeping tires closer to the fender edges.
Here's stock and w/ wheel tire update (my wheels are 17x8.5 +10 which will have a similar fit to the 17x9 +0 that you're wanting)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/new-owner-advice-please.30871/
Thanks for the info. I dont have that plastic bumper piece anymore as it went away with the stock bumper, so that part should not be a problem.

Do you think the wheels I linked will stick out more then the stock wheels?

Thanks

James

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
James,
Stock wheels are 7.5 +45, so your new wheels will be out +45mm for offset and 13mm out for the 1.5" wider wheel, for a total of 58mm out from stock or a bit over 2", and going w/ a 12.5" tire width would extend the actual rubber out another 1.5" roughly, so your actual tires would be about 3.5" outside your fender edge (assuming your stockers are at the fender edge, as I forget exactly where mine were prior to new tires/wheels added).

There are wheels (AEV are one example) that have high positive offsets like +25, these would get you closer to stock fitment, but running wider tires you may have inner clearance issues when suspension gets articulated.

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
James,
Stock wheels are 7.5 +45, so your new wheels will be out +45mm for offset and 13mm out for the 1.5" wider wheel, for a total of 58mm out from stock or a bit over 2", and going w/ a 12.5" tire width would extend the actual rubber out another 1.5" roughly, so your actual tires would be about 3.5" outside your fender edge (assuming your stockers are at the fender edge, as I forget exactly where mine were prior to new tires/wheels added).

There are wheels (AEV are one example) that have high positive offsets like +25, these would get you closer to stock fitment, but running wider tires you may have inner clearance issues when suspension gets articulated.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I believe the stock wheels sit with in the fenders a bit, I will look at them when I get home. Maybe those wheels with some 33s would be a better choice until I get a lift.

Thanks again

James

Sponsored

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Not sure how long that Dana 30 would last with 35's even if you could fit them under the Sport.

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I would have thought there would be some problems, but there seems to be a lot of threads and you tube videos saying 35s on a stock sport with stock wheels would work as long as no off roading. I thought maybe some after market wheels that sat a little farther out would help with clearance along with some flat fenders. But if 35s are that bad for a stock sport even with aftermarket wheels and fenders I will just look for 33s until I get around to getting a lift.

Thanks for all of the info so far.

James

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Well I would have thought there would be some problems, but there seems to be a lot of threads and you tube videos saying 35s on a stock sport with stock wheels would work as long as no off roading. I thought maybe some after market wheels that sat a little farther out would help with clearance along with some flat fenders. But if 35s are that bad for a stock sport even with aftermarket wheels and fenders I will just look for 33s until I get around to getting a lift.

James
You'd probably be okay with no offroading.

spies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep

James
The sport will handle 35s just fine even with aggressive off roading. You will only run into problems if you put in a locker AND low gears. If you stick with stock gears or 4.10s and don't put in a locker, it will last forever.

And then as far as getting them to fit, you can get the mopar high fenders or your choice of aftermarket high clearance fenders.

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sport will handle 35s just fine even with aggressive off roading. You will only run into problems if you put in a locker AND low gears. If you stick with stock gears or 4.10s and don't put in a locker, it will last forever.

And then as far as getting them to fit, you can get the mopar high fenders or your choice of aftermarket high clearance fenders.

Hey, thanks for the info!

James
Sponsored