Sponsored

Will these cause clunking? Any reason not to use them?

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Hi all,

I have very little need to disconnect the front sway bar. I've done it the old fashioned way once but would like to make it just a bit easier.

My question is this. Have any of you used these pins? And if yes, have you heard/felt clunking on the road? (caused by the pin being smaller than the original bolt?)

ebay: SwayBarPins

I understand that I will need to tie the sway bar up if I use these, but again for the 1-2 times per year I actually disconnect the sway bar, I'm ok with that.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I don't know if I would use the pins or not. I guess they would be fine but I just ordered a set of Skyjacker disconnect sway bar links because I wasn't sure if the pins would fit right.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 4xe JLU
Just got a set of exactally those, installing Sunday, to make it easier to do at Jeep Jam Uhwarrie in 2 wks. Will update

OP
OP

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Just got a set of exactally those, installing Sunday, to make it easier to do at Jeep Jam Uhwarrie in 2 wks. Will update
Thanks. I appreciate it.

I'm usually someone with a buy once/cry once attitude. But for $20, it reduces the task to a tool-less 5 minute process. For the twice per year I'll do it, its not worth a $190 solution. As long as the pins are sized properly.

2 years ago when Apex released the AutoLynx for about $300, I thought it would be a great buy. Fast forward to 8 months ago when I finally got my Gladiator and they have gone up to $450. Just can't justify it.

And the $175-$250 ones dont' seem to do anything these pins don't do except for give you somewhere to hang the link end.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 4xe JLU
Works great, driver side goes in the 2nd hole and it’s nice and tight. Passenger side is too long for long hole and can’t get to short one. Added an extra nylon washer inside and out and everything snugs up with no rattle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Will these cause clunking?  Any reason not to use them? B0AB7B22-572C-4665-BD07-324559808ED4

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Let us know how those work out over time, have heard mixed reviews, but if they stay tight they should be a decent alternative to going old school w/ the sways. Most of the aftermarket discos are made for lifted JLs and w/ my mild Rubicon spring swap most of the discos are too long. FWIW I don't mind wrenching the links but if it's only $20 and saves a few minutes and stays tight and secure, why not :)

OP
OP

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Works great, driver side goes in the 2nd hole and it’s nice and tight. Passenger side is too long for long hole and can’t get to short one. Added an extra nylon washer inside and out and everything snugs up with no rattle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Will these cause clunking?  Any reason not to use them? B0AB7B22-572C-4665-BD07-324559808ED4
What did you end up doing to hang the links and sway bar up?

Thanks.

I'm thinking anything from some velcro wraps to just keeping some longish plastic tie wraps in the Jeep for single use.

Let us know how those work out over time, have heard mixed reviews, but if they stay tight they should be a decent alternative to going old school w/ the sways. Most of the aftermarket discos are made for lifted JLs and w/ my mild Rubicon spring swap most of the discos are too long. FWIW I don't mind wrenching the links but if it's only $20 and saves a few minutes and stays tight and secure, why not :)
My thoughts exactly.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What did you end up doing to hang the links and sway bar up?

Thanks.

I'm thinking anything from some velcro wraps to just keeping some longish plastic tie wraps in the Jeep for single use.

My thoughts exactly.
I always have a bag of zip ties just for hanging the links, the sway is fine left alone. I usually use two zips per link just for a bit more strength there.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 4xe JLU
2 is one 1 is none, also keep zips and cable scissors in rear compartment. Its like duck tape nothing you cannot fix for a while with it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I haven't bought them yet. Other life priorities at this point. I'll post here when I do.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 4xe JLU
Lost one in a field at jeep jam uhwarrie, replaced driver side with a bolt after a stop at auto parts store on the way home. The locking part of the pin is not solid enough…next build I will b using apex autolinks or rubicon with electronic sway bar and lockers…, but going back to bolts for now.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I've made my own in the past just drilling a hole in the bolt with and using a cotter pin. Worked just fine don't recall a ton of noise on my jk.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lost one in a field at jeep jam uhwarrie, replaced driver side with a bolt after a stop at auto parts store on the way home. The locking part of the pin is not solid enough…next build I will b using apex autolinks or rubicon with electronic sway bar and lockers…, but going back to bolts for now.
Good to know and thanks for the update, think I'll just keep going old school, it's simple enough :)
Sponsored