will a 2 door work?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
You CAN make a 2-door work for your needs but you will probably quickly get tired of the hassle of securing your infant in the backseat. As has also been pointed out when the back seat is in play (not folded down) the storage space between the back seat and the tailgate is very minimal. The 4-door, IMO, is the way to go. On learning a stick - I don't see the value in purchasing a beater just for that. In a matter of days you'll have picked it up. The key to any manual is learning where the engagement point of the clutch is, once you've done that you will be set - and apparently the JL/JLU has some hill-holding features that make this even easier than all of the sticks most of us grew up with. And most of all congratulations on your family expansion!
Sponsored

OP
OP

dredayy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic
You CAN make a 2-door work for your needs but you will probably quickly get tired of the hassle of securing your infant in the backseat. As has also been pointed out when the back seat is in play (not folded down) the storage space between the back seat and the tailgate is very minimal. The 4-door, IMO, is the way to go. On learning a stick - I don't see the value in purchasing a beater just for that. In a matter of days you'll have picked it up. The key to any manual is learning where the engagement point of the clutch is, once you've done that you will be set - and apparently the JL/JLU has some hill-holding features that make this even easier than all of the sticks most of us grew up with. And most of all congratulations on your family expansion!
thanks, im excited! I didn't know the JL had a hill holding feature. Thats pretty neat, i have already stalled on a hill once and i was pretty scared not going to lie :facepalm::whew:

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
My daily driver, since 2004, was a 2 dr TJ Unlimited. I have 1 kid.

I ADORE both my child, and my Jeep. However, I can tell you that you couldn’t move the seats far enough forward to fit an infant car seat through the door. After a few weeks of doing the gymnastics necessary, I had my passenger air bag deactivated. My boo has riden up front ever since. Hubby never rides in the Jeep.

I don’t regret driving a 2 dr (But was always grateful for the extra length of the Unlimited), but it presents significant challenges.

I have a 4dr Rubi ordered...

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
but how much is that going to cost me? that sounds expensive :cwl:
I stated the price sub 500. I am going to get my wife started on it tonight hopefully

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Don't be angry. I had a 2 door and love them. Just giving my opinion ;)
I wasn’t angry at all! I was just making the point that people are often too quick to point out a “fact” without doing any due diligence of their own. Often times if you do you’ll find that what you were told was wrong.

Perhaps far more than half of 2 door owners really do dump their trucks for 4 doors before 24 months are up. I haven’t seen the data. I, for one, am still very happy with mine one week after I bought it. ;)

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn’t angry at all! I was just making the point that people are often too quick to point out a “fact” without doing any due diligence of their own. Often times if you do you’ll find that what you were told was wrong.

Perhaps far more than half of 2 door owners really do dump their trucks for 4 doors before 24 months are up. I haven’t seen the data. I, for one, am still very happy with mine one week after I bought it. ;)
:fist bump:

I've been seeing the 2 doors finally out in the wild and they do look damn good.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I just sold my TJ Rubicon a few weeks ago in anticipation of the incoming 4 door JL. The TJ was a lot of fun but it was our second vehicle. I had a Mustang Cobra convertible that I traded in on a minivan when my first kid was born. The Cobra only came in stick and the 2 door just made it impractical although lowering the top to put in the baby seat would have made it easier :). It is time for the minivan to go and with the amount of camping we do, we need the space. The only way a TJ would work for me and my 2 kids camping was to get a trailer.

I suggest the auto and 4 door...and congratulations.

Black_JLUR_18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So, when I bought my Jk, I had never driven stick before. Took a couple days to get used to, but eventually it becomes second nature. I also have a baby on the way, and I definitely did not want to climb in and out of the back seat to mess with the car seat. I traded up for a JLUR and couldnt be happier with the choice. I dont have to remove the back seat to have cargo space! I also got the JLUR with the 6 speed and it drives like a dream. I even let the wife drive it around town and she had no issues. I think you could definitely buy a JLU with the 6 speed and learn very quickly on it

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2016 Rubicon
100% agree.

Buying a car to learn how to drive stick is borderline lunacy. If a person can’t learn to drive stick in less than an hour after stalling a handful of times, and maybe grinding the gears a time or two then that person should be purchasing an automatic.

I know proficient drivers of extremely expensive sports cars who stall it every once in a long while and perform the dreaded “misshift” that overevs the engine at least once. In fact, the DME report on an engine will record every overrev.

What’s the takeaway? Buy an automatic transmission unless you have an extreme scenario where a manual will suit your needs better than an auto.
100% agree.

Buying a car to learn how to drive stick is borderline lunacy. If a person can’t learn to drive stick in less than an hour after stalling a handful of times, and maybe grinding the gears a time or two then that person should be purchasing an automatic.

I know proficient drivers of extremely expensive sports cars who stall it every once in a long while and perform the dreaded “misshift” that overevs the engine at least once. In fact, the DME report on an engine will record every overrev.

What’s the takeaway? Buy an automatic transmission unless you have an extreme scenario where a manual will suit your needs better than an auto.

Bordering on lunacy? I bought my first car when I was 16 which was an old beater 1988 Honda Crx for $700. Learned how to drive stick on it with very little worries about damaging it. If you can learn to drive stick well on an old clunker that's difficult to drive with a stiff heavy clutch imagine how easy it will be to drive the nice soft smooth clutch. BTW I sold it 3 months later for $1100 and then upgraded to the car I really wanted. If that's considered lunacy then the world can use a whole lot more of it.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Bordering on lunacy? I bought my first car when I was 16 which was an old beater 1988 Honda Crx for $700. Learned how to drive stick on it with very little worries about damaging it. If you can learn to drive stick well on an old clunker that's difficult to drive with a stiff heavy clutch imagine how easy it will be to drive the nice soft smooth clutch. BTW I sold it 3 months later for $1100 and then upgraded to the car I really wanted. If that's considered lunacy then the world can use a whole lot more of it.
You’re the man.

I once found a car for free, learned how to drive stick with it then sold it 3 days later for $4750 to Warren Buffet. So there. :)

Sponsored

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sure as heck makes a lot of sense to spend 30k+ on a manual transmission when you

1. Dont know how to drive stick
2. Dont know if you will actually like it as your daily driver.

Buy a beater for dirt cheap. Learn how to drive stick on it. See if you like it. Again if this is lunacy then the world needs a whole lot more of it.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
It sure as heck makes a lot of sense to spend 30k+ on a manual transmission when you

1. Dont know how to drive stick
2. Dont know if you will actually like it as your daily driver.

Buy a beater for dirt cheap. Learn how to drive stick on it. See if you like it. Again if this is lunacy then the world needs a whole lot more of it.
And they’re getting it in the form of you.

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

dredayy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic
So, when I bought my Jk, I had never driven stick before. Took a couple days to get used to, but eventually it becomes second nature. I also have a baby on the way, and I definitely did not want to climb in and out of the back seat to mess with the car seat. I traded up for a JLUR and couldnt be happier with the choice. I dont have to remove the back seat to have cargo space! I also got the JLUR with the 6 speed and it drives like a dream. I even let the wife drive it around town and she had no issues. I think you could definitely buy a JLU with the 6 speed and learn very quickly on it
Yeah I’m leaning towards a JLU and congrats!
Sponsored