Whip antenna tie down point - soft top

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Looking for ideas here. I have a full wave-length CB whip antenna which of course works great but is tall as hell. It's designed to be bent down in a semi-circle like you used to see in WWII or Korean war command vehicle pictures. The wrinkle is where/how to affix the end of the whip to the front a-pillar somewhere with a soft top. Thought I'd get a ping out there to see if anyone has done it, and if so, how? Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
NickTinVA

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
In case anyone is watching this... With doors off, I'm thinking I could attach the tie down to a RAM mount plate, and attach that to my Carolina Metal Master trail mirror assembly. I'll try that and snap some pics.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
on my TJ, I used a microphone clip and attached it to a piece of para-cord which was attached to the visor attachment. I put electrical tape around the whip where the mic-clip grabbed it. worked very well on Ham HF with an antenna tuner.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I believe you mean a 1/4 wave antenna (108"...or 102" with a 6" spring) as a full wave CB antenna is about 432" (36') tall.
With the top on and no light bar or such across the top of the windshield you are right the easy options are very limited without running a longer piece of cord down to say your hood.
I run a 102" whip with about a 12" loading coil on my XJ, it's close to the legal height limit.
Just let that sucker go free. :CWL: They can take a beating. I smack all my antennas on trees daily.
With the whip bent over that is called NVIS and sends the signal into the sky to bounce back down for close range but that are still further out than ground wave (line of sight). I am not sure what kind of radio you are running but if it's a stock non-import CB I don't think the 4 watts is going to do much with NVIS at this point in the solar cycle (generally poor propagation, though 10m has seem some decent activity in the last month or two all things considered).
Sponsored