First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
When you're without a lift, you don't want to bother a friend, neighbors aren't around and you are just dying to take the top off:

AC1DABA8-0981-4064-90EF-2ADDF9EA777C.png
DE9AF137-392D-4B7C-B17D-8E8935348E06.jpeg
91786A36-8FF0-479D-957C-05DF0CFF2994.jpeg

It was a great day just bopping around running errands.

This was my first time taking the doors off. I had an issue with the door check on one if the front doors. At one point during the removal after the check was unscrewed, when I closed the door partially, heard an alarming pop. Later when I was putting the doors back on, the check on that door was "in" a couple of inches. I couldn't pull it out. Finally I put a screw driver through the the bolt holes and pulled far harder than I felt was safe and it popped out. I thought for sure that I either had broken it or was going to while attempting to pull it out. It does seem to be functioning fine though.

As for the hinges, electrical connections and actual removal of the doors, it all went more smoothly than I anticipated for a first timer on any Jeep (thanks in part to the Quadratec demo on Youtube).

It was really nice to be topless and doorless in the Southern California sunshine. Definitely was windier than I expected. One nice feature I noticed is that you can aim the vents directly on your hands while in the 10:00/2:00 position. Gawd, I love this stereo. It's got me searching for good new music and re-appreciation some good old stuff.

I was REALLY tempted to try the top removal and replacement alone but better judgement prevailed. I will probably try it at some point in spite of all warnings.

On a completely unrelated note...
As much as I like the look of the running boards and as much as I get that they need to be high for clearance, it's kind of funny because if you step on them, it positions you awkwardly high. I'm used to using them from my SUV but am trying to train myself to step right intonthe JL without them. I'm only 5'8" with a longer torso and shorter legs but it's not much of a stretch.

Still noticing little perks almost daily.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Malve

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
Forgot to ask, the seatbelts were flapping pretty good at speed. Is there a commonly used fix for that?

Hazmater911

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR, Silver, 2006 TJ (for sale)
I bought Velcro straps from Home Depot, found in tool section, and cut metal hook off. I wrap them around belt and the roll bar in my TJ. I use 2 for each belt. I’m hoping that works on the JL.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
When you're without a lift, you don't want to bother a friend, neighbors aren't around and you are just dying to take the top off:

On a completely unrelated note...
As much as I like the look of the running boards and as much as I get that they need to be high for clearance, it's kind of funny because if you step on them, it positions you awkwardly high. I'm used to using them from my SUV but am trying to train myself to step right intonthe JL without them. I'm only 5'8" with a longer torso and shorter legs but it's not much of a stretch.

Still noticing little perks almost daily.
I drive an LJ, and am 5'2". I agree with your running boards comment. I don't think I've stepped on mine for years, unless I needed to do something above the top. Stop using them, and it will become second nature to just step into the jeep.

Enjoy yours, and the sunshine!!!!

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I saw a bunch of tops down yesterday in OC. I've only got the soft-top, so it's easy for me. But you can tell those with hard tops are just inching to take them off. Great resourceful thinking.
Sponsored