First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Has anyone used this wire on a brake controller yet? I'm going to install mine today. I'm still trying to determine if I'm going to need a diode or not. I guess I'll be the Guinea pig...
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
A lot of vehicle components are made "one size fits all" as it's easier than making a dozen different variants and hoping the correct one gets installed on the assembly line. It's also more cost effective overall.

This isn't the first "what is this mystery wire, terminal, plug..." thread I've seen either here or on the RV forum I frequent.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
That wire is for the input to the brake controller. I used a diode to isolate it from the feedback from the controller. Works great.

mbar1156

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
That wire is for the input to the brake controller. I used a diode to isolate it from the feedback from the controller. Works great.

And this is even in jeeps without the factory tow?

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Yes, I do not have the factory tow package.

Sponsored

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
I called the customer support for Reese....the main company makes all 3 brands, Draw tite, Reese and Tekonsha.
Reese 8508211 and Drawtite 5535 are the "Same" just different label on the front (says their Technical support)
As well I also found out that 3014 works but doesn't have the Diode (so don't use it!) 3073 is the correct pin-out with Diode (Correct for Wrangler) or use 3024 (Also has diode and is for the Ram) but just swap the black and blue wire on the grey connector end for the Wrangler.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
That's for Jeeps with the tow package.

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Correct...but also helpful if you purchase the harness and install... sorry for trying to help.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I just wanted to clarify that because Jeeps with this wire don't have a tow package and purchasing that harness wouldn't help them. If the sorry was genuine, it's not necessary, however, if it was a jab at my comment, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of vehicle components are made "one size fits all" as it's easier than making a dozen different variants and hoping the correct one gets installed on the assembly line. It's also more cost effective overall.
Yes, sometimes it's a nice hidden benefit. All the last gen Xterra's were wired for fog lamps, but not all of them actually got fog lamps. My Xterra was pretty basic, so it didn't get fog lamps on it, but when I read on a forum that the truck was already wired for them, it was pretty straightforward to add them, and add the OEM light controls with a replacement signal stalk with the additional fog lamp control.
Sponsored