Sponsored

What do you guys think about this setup?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
2021 Unlimited Rubicon

AEV 2.5” Dual Sport lift (swapping out shocks to Fox 2.0)

37x13.50R18 Nitto Mud Grapplers

Not sure what wheels yet. If I need spacers, or a specific offset. As I mentioned in other posts, I would like the tires to stick out 1-2” max.

Let me know your thoughts, concerns, suggestions..

What additional parts do I need, on top of the AEV kit?
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had an AEV kit on my JK Sahara, the ride quality was really good. Not sure why you are wanting to replace the Bilstein 5100's they do the job quite nicely. The only thing I would consider adding would be a quality front track bar. The rear gets compensated with a relocation bracket.

I would question your tire selection though, the Nitto is decent off road, but not a great daily driver tire.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
2021 Unlimited Rubicon

AEV 2.5” Dual Sport lift (swapping out shocks to Fox 2.0)

37x13.50R18 Nitto Mud Grapplers

Not sure what wheels yet. If I need spacers, or a specific offset. As I mentioned in other posts, I would like the tires to stick out 1-2” max.

Let me know your thoughts, concerns, suggestions..

What additional parts do I need, on top of the AEV kit?
I almost went AEV and did a ton of research ending up with an RK lift in the end. If you're going to wheel it seriously which the tires suggest, I would go with a different lift. For similar money you can get the Rock Krawler 2.5" or 3.5" "flex" no limits system (I added fox 2.0 shocks) which gives you beefy adjustable lower control arms which are important, and an adjustable front track bar which is also important. The AEV lift lacks both of those items which is a bummer for $1200 as your front axle will be off center and no adjustments can be made. You'll also get a ton more flex than the stock lower control arms will offer you due to the ridiculously flexy joints in the RK arms.

If you have a little more to spend I'd do the metalcloak game changer, or at least the metalcloak true dual and add lower control arms. Best complete lift money can buy for trail performance IMO.

That and I'd probably go with a more standard mud tire like a nitto trail grappler, BFG KM3, Pat, STT Pro, etc - I've seen these tires do absolutely anything on trail, while still remaining tame on road and looking badass. That's me though, if you can put up with the noise the mud graps make they do look sweet.

As for tires ticking out, an 0 or -12 offset will get you 1.5-1.75" of poke per side, possibly a little more on a 13.50 tire. A full -38mm offset like most beadlocks are will get you about 3" of poke on each side.

I am a 2 door on 35s, but an example of the flex you miss out on quite a bit of by going mopar or AEV - it had a little more droop to go on the drivers side. You get even more with metalcloak or a full RK kit, I have the $1200 flex no limits system which is essentially the x-factor lite.
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you guys think about this setup? 22F0BE84-0C79-455F-96C9-CF2FC88E029D_1_105_c

And all that said, it all depends on what you're going to do with the jeep. IF you're just gonna hit fire roads and camp/overland, the AEV lift is solid. I'd still add LCAs and a front trackbar tho.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I almost went AEV and did a ton of research ending up with an RK lift in the end. If you're going to wheel it seriously which the tires suggest, I would go with a different lift. For similar money you can get the Rock Krawler 2.5" or 3.5" "flex" no limits system (I added fox 2.0 shocks) which gives you beefy adjustable lower control arms which are important, and an adjustable front track bar which is also important. The AEV lift lacks both of those items which is a bummer for $1200 as your front axle will be off center and no adjustments can be made. You'll also get a ton more flex than the stock lower control arms will offer you due to the ridiculously flexy joints in the RK arms.

If you have a little more to spend I'd do the metalcloak game changer, or at least the metalcloak true dual and add lower control arms. Best complete lift money can buy for trail performance IMO.

That and I'd probably go with a more standard mud tire like a nitto trail grappler, BFG KM3, Pat, STT Pro, etc - I've seen these tires do absolutely anything on trail, while still remaining tame on road and looking badass. That's me though, if you can put up with the noise the mud graps make they do look sweet.

As for tires ticking out, an 0 or -12 offset will get you 1.5-1.75" of poke per side, possibly a little more on a 13.50 tire. A full -38mm offset like most beadlocks are will get you about 3" of poke on each side.

I am a 2 door on 35s, but an example of the flex you miss out on quite a bit of by going mopar or AEV - it had a little more droop to go on the drivers side. You get even more with metalcloak or a full RK kit, I have the $1200 flex no limits system which is essentially the x-factor lite.
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you guys think about this setup? 22F0BE84-0C79-455F-96C9-CF2FC88E029D_1_105_c

And all that said, it all depends on what you're going to do with the jeep. IF you're just gonna hit fire roads and camp/overland, the AEV lift is solid. I'd still add LCAs and a front trackbar tho.
thank you for all the info. I was curious about the control arms. I will be wheeling every now and then, along with camping etc. however, this is my daily driver as well. My commute isn’t too bad right now. And I really love the mud graps. I actually like the noise, and they do great for what I will be using them for. I have an old YJ with boggers on it to play with when I want to do some serious crawling, which is much cheaper to fix (or not)
Sponsored