Sponsored

What are the differences in these shocks?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I probably should know this, but why does the one set of shocks have smaller coils at the top compared to the ones that are even all the way down? Is it stiffer ride? or make the jeep not set up as high?
shock2.JPG

shock1.JPG
Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Those arent shocks.

The small end is called pigtails. For fitment purposes.

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh you mean the tighter coils? Dual rate springs.
yes, but what is the ride difference and height difference? Would one be better than the other one for towing?

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
yes, but what is the ride difference and height difference? Would one be better than the other one for towing?
All depends on the spring rates. One could be better riding, or the other could be.
The dual rates, if the correct rate for the weight of the vehicle, "should" ride smoother in the first section of suspension travel, then firm up in the latter.
Yes there could be a difference in ride height, but again, it all comes down to the rates of the springs.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Second what @srt20 said. Also it would be best to call the manufacturer of the springs to get more info, either that or a certified rep who is selling them. Tell them your application for the majority of your driving and then what you do secondary not so much. Like 90% daily driving, 5% towing 5% off roading this will help them guide you towards the best spring.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I probably should know this, but why does the one set of shocks have smaller coils at the top compared to the ones that are even all the way down? Is it stiffer ride? or make the jeep not set up as high?
shock2.JPG

shock1.JPG
It's been my understanding that one of the benefits of the springs with the tighter section of coils are used in suspension systems that allow for a lot of droop. When fully relaxed, they are longer than the same load rated linear spring. That section would be fully or near fully collapsed, depending on spring rate, during normal driving. When off road and flexing, it allows a wheel to drop further without unweighting the spring from its perch.

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's been my understanding that one of the benefits of the springs with the tighter section of coils are used in suspension systems that allow for a lot of droop. When fully relaxed, they are longer than the same load rated linear spring. That section would be fully or near fully collapsed, depending on spring rate, during normal driving. When off road and flexing, it allows a wheel to drop further without unweighting the spring from its perch.
Thanks! Since I don't off-road, I doubt I would need the shorter coils at the top then. I just need to get some for my 2.5 inch that's already installed.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Since I don't off-road, I doubt I would need the shorter coils at the top then. I just need to get some for my 2.5 inch that's already installed.
Ummm... how do you have a 2.5" lift already installed but are going to buy these springs for it? The spring is what gives you your lift. I assume you mean you have a 2.5" spacer lift installed and want to use these springs instead?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ummm... how do you have a 2.5" lift already installed but are going to buy these springs for it? The spring is what gives you your lift. I assume you mean you have a 2.5" spacer lift installed and want to use these springs instead?
That would be correct sir. It seems like the rear end 'droops' just a tad...could be my imagination, but I don't think so.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That would be correct sir. It seems like the rear end 'droops' just a tad...could be my imagination, but I don't think so.
Ahhh... ok. So you must have the RC or Rubicon Express spacer lift. If that's true the RC comes with a 2.5" steel puck up front and a 2" puck in the rear. The 2.5" puck up front takes most of the rake out. If you've added a heavy steel bumper on the rear that could cause the rear to sag a little. You may want to consider getting yourself full length shocks as well so you can get rid of those shock extension brackets and take advantage of a full travel shock.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If you're otherwise happy with the way it drives, but just want to level it out front to back, than adding another 1/2" of spacer to the back corners may be all you need? If thats the case, it would be quicker, easier, and cheaper compared to snowballing into springs and shocks.
Sponsored