Voswitch killed battery I think

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
So on saturday I installed a Voswitch jl200, now I am not very good with electrical stuff like that , but I installed it exactly how the instructions said and how videos showed. On Sunday I was driving and the ESS system wasn’t kicking in, I woke up today for work and the Jeep wouldn’t start or crank or anything. I installed the fuse tap for the ignition trigger on the Voswitch system but I never enabled the low voltage cut off system. Now my question is, could the low voltage system have prevented my battery from dying, and would I need to buy a new battery or just charge my current one up? I have a 3.6 etorque. Thank you
Sponsored

SleeplessJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Now my question is, could the low voltage system have prevented my battery from dying, and would I need to buy a new battery or just charge my current one up?
Technically, yes, but that depends on what is actually causing the drain on the battery. The ignition tap is for powering the backlights on the switches but if you leave an accessory switched on it can stay switched on when the vehicle isn’t running. If you don’t have any accessories attached yet and the switches were all off, you’ve probably got a short somewhere.

Generally speaking, your battery is probably fine and will likely charge back up just fine, but again this depends on whether or not the Voswitch is even the cause or not. Common sense says it’s related, but there is always a possibility that it’s total coincidence and there’s some other unknown factor.

OP
OP
roy2120

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Technically, yes, but that depends on what is actually causing the drain on the battery. The ignition tap is for powering the backlights on the switches but if you leave an accessory switched on it can stay switched on when the vehicle isn’t running. If you don’t have any accessories attached yet and the switches were all off, you’ve probably got a short somewhere.
Generally speaking, your battery is probably fine and will likely charge back up just fine, but again this depends on whether or not the Voswitch is even the cause or not. Common sense says it’s related, but there is always a possibility that it’s total coincidence and there’s some other unknown factor.
Thanks for the reply! I’ve been charging up the battery for about 2 hours now, it should still take a lot longer to finish. I do not have anything connected to the panel, so what could be causing the short?

SleeplessJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel
I do not have anything connected to the panel, so what could be causing the short?
I’ve had shorts for various reasons over the years, the craziest being one where radiator fan slowly ground away slowly at a misplaced cable which finally failed in the middle of a torrential downpour.

Hopefully it is something simply gone wrong with your install, after your battery is charged back up we can determine that for certain by disconnecting the power going to the Voswitch box under the hood for a couple days and watch your voltage. If you don’t see anything abnormal, reconnect it and continue to watch the voltage to confirm that is where we’re bleeding power. Try not to let the voltage drop too far again, obviously. It could be something as simple as an unshielded part of any of your positive leads incidentally touching virtually anything metal under the hood or dash, inside the firewall, etc.

If it turns out not to be the Voswitch, well that’s whole new situation entirely.

Can you post pics of where you’ve made connections to the battery and the ignition wire, as well as the Voswitch box?

Sponsored

SleeplessJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel
OH I should also mention, it’s possible that your ESS/Auxillary battery died if you have the gas engine which can cause some electrical quirks. That something to potentially check if you find you’re still bleeding voltage with the Voswitch disconnected.

That could also potentially explain the ESS malfunctioning prior to the main battery dying.

OP
OP
roy2120

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I’ve had shorts for various reasons over the years, the craziest being one where radiator fan slowly ground away slowly at a misplaced cable which finally failed in the middle of a torrential downpour.

Hopefully it is something simply gone wrong with your install, after your battery is charged back up we can determine that for certain by disconnecting the power going to the Voswitch box under the hood for a couple days and watch your voltage. If you don’t see anything abnormal, reconnect it and continue to watch the voltage to confirm that is where we’re bleeding power. Try not to let the voltage drop too far again, obviously. It could be something as simple as an unshielded part of any of your positive leads incidentally touching virtually anything metal under the hood or dash, inside the firewall, etc.

If it turns out not to be the Voswitch, well that’s whole new situation entirely.

Can you post pics of where you’ve made connections to the battery and the ignition wire, as well as the Voswitch box?
I’ll post pictures soon, but this morning i attempted to start it up and nothing happened except the instrument cluster started flashing and was stuck on the “run” position. I do not believe the etorque system has an auxiliary battery if I remember correctly it is powered by a lithium ion pack somewhere in the rear. Although I do not really know so correct me if I am wrong. Thank you

SleeplessJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel
I do not believe the etorque system has an auxiliary battery if I remember correctly it is powered by a lithium ion pack somewhere in the rear. Although I do not really know so correct me if I am wrong. Thank you
You are correct, I wasn’t sure if you had eTorque or not. Technically, the the lithium ion pack is still an auxiliary battery 😂, but regardless that makes my point moot.
Sponsored