Vehicle ladders useless?

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Can someone explain why some 4Runners and Defenders have a ladder attached to them? I just step up on the tires or the bumper of my Wrangler when I need to access the cargo hardware on top. Those SUV roof ladders seem useless and also undersized. I can understand why a conversion van or taller vehicle might need one (and the if they have one they usually look rather beefy).
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They aren’t to climb up, they just allow a better reach up there. But I agree, they look silly. Like all the people I see driving around with cheap wire baskets on their roof. Especially Subarus. I guess they think it looks rugged, like having some poorly made yellow Timberland boots.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I’ve always thought it’s specifically for looks. I see different multiple TRD clubs and crews every weekend here at San Luis Pass and watched them for years and never once have I seen someone on their mini ladder. They always get up top for getting gear by stepping up on the tires.

Same concept of 90% of the wrangler community who put hi-lift jacks on their hoods or spare tire carriers or side mounts that will never ever be utilized. Once again it’s for a look. Which by all fairness is not a bad thing if you like a particular “look” go for it but personally I only run with accessories or gear that get used weekly.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Ok the contrary opinion. I have a built up Wrangler 2 door and have the Maximus ladder. I use the ladder all the time and often wish I had one for both sides. I offroad my jeep a lot but it also carriers skis, kayaks, SUPs etc and I climb up the ladder a lot as it makes access easier and faster. So sorry it is not just for show in my case.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
And Jeeps...
  • Additional rack support (never hurts).
  • Sturdy mounting point for extra fuel
  • Sturdy handhold when standing on tires
  • Easy route to get on the rack to reconfigure gear mounts
    (very helpful once you've been around a half century)
  • Easily accessible high vantage point to assess questionable terrain
  • Rear window protection when off camber
  • Camp trash and water bag hanging point
  • Temporary location to lean skis without damaging paint
  • Standing on the rack is an excellent location for after-excursion power washing
  • Never underestimate the benefits of being able to use your Jeep as a jungle gym.
Bottom line, I use my ladders in one way or another every single excursion.

I’ve always thought it’s specifically for looks. I see different multiple TRD clubs and crews every weekend here at San Luis Pass and watched them for years and never once have I seen someone on their mini ladder. They always get up top for getting gear by stepping up on the tires.
That's because you're much more likely to climb up a ladder before and after your excursion instead of during. You go up there to configure your rack and you do it in a way that as much gear as possible is accessible standing on tire or bumper. Afterwards you go up there to clean up.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Can someone explain why some 4Runners and Defenders have a ladder attached to them? I just step up on the tires or the bumper of my Wrangler when I need to access the cargo hardware on top. Those SUV roof ladders seem useless and also undersized. I can understand why a conversion van or taller vehicle might need one (and the if they have one they usually look rather beefy).
I don't have one for my JLR, but i do have a ladder for my '21 4Runner Venture. I put the Gobi ladder on the back. I've used it quite a bit to put firewood, gear, bags, folding table and camp chairs, etc. up top in the Yakima basket that the Venture model comes with. Before that I was standing on the tire on each side or using a small step-ladder to put all the stuff up there. So for me it's functional. The biggest draw for me was not damaging my paint when I wanted to put camping stuff up top, and the ladder helped me get above the basket to place it inside. Also helps me with the mf'ing Yakima bungee net (which is a SERIOUS pain in the @ss, but extremely useful). I'm also 5'5", so I have to obviously get some height in order to access the basket. We use it probably at least once a month to go camping. It was pretty handy last year for putting snowboards up top too.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And Jeeps...
  • Additional rack support (never hurts).
  • Sturdy mounting point for extra fuel
  • Sturdy handhold when standing on tires
  • Easy route to get on the rack to reconfigure gear mounts
    (very helpful once you've been around a half century)
  • Easily accessible high vantage point to assess questionable terrain
  • Rear window protection when off camber
  • Camp trash and water bag hanging point
  • Temporary location to lean skis without damaging paint
  • Standing on the rack is an excellent location for after-excursion power washing
  • Never underestimate the benefits of being able to use your Jeep as a jungle gym.
Bottom line, I use my ladders in one way or another every single excursion.

That's because you're much more likely to climb up a ladder before and after your excursion instead of during. You go up there to configure your rack and you do it in a way that as much gear as possible is accessible standing on tire or bumper. Afterwards you go up there to clean up.
On Jeopardy the proper response to this post would be:

“When is a ladder not a ladder?”

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have one for my JLR, but i do have a ladder for my '21 4Runner Venture. I put the Gobi ladder on the back. I've used it quite a bit to put firewood, gear, bags, folding table and camp chairs, etc. up top in the Yakima basket that the Venture model comes with. Before that I was standing on the tire on each side or using a small step-ladder to put all the stuff up there. So for me it's functional. The biggest draw for me was not damaging my paint when I wanted to put camping stuff up top, and the ladder helped me get above the basket to place it inside. Also helps me with the mf'ing Yakima bungee net (which is a SERIOUS pain in the @ss, but extremely useful). I'm also 5'5", so I have to obviously get some height in order to access the basket. We use it probably at least once a month to go camping. It was pretty handy last year for putting snowboards up top too.
Since the location of the ladder is off-center and at the back of the 4Runner, do you find that it influences the location of where you place certain types of cargo on the roof?

Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I’m tall so there’s no need for a ladder. I see them for shorter people. Crazy enough I go for my hi-lift before my winch most of the time. I’d rather lift a side and stuff a rock than drag up and over something.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Ok the contrary opinion. I have a built up Wrangler 2 door and have the Maximus ladder. I use the ladder all the time and often wish I had one for both sides. I offroad my jeep a lot but it also carriers skis, kayaks, SUPs etc and I climb up the ladder a lot as it makes access easier and faster. So sorry it is not just for show in my case.
Same. I actually added the ladder to both sides. I am average height and it makes it so much easier for me vs standing on the tire.
I think Maximus killed it with their set up

Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle ladders useless? Snapseed 21

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Since the location of the ladder is off-center and at the back of the 4Runner, do you find that it influences the location of where you place certain types of cargo on the roof?
A bit. Yes. Easier to load light stuff up front as you can't access that area well from the ladder on the corner. Heavier stuff goes in the back. Firewood always in the back since I have a sun roof and don't want bark or wood chips in my car. I went without it for about 8 months (as Gobi was building it) and a step-ladder does the same thing. But once at the camp site it's so much easier to get to stuff with a ladder.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Same. I actually added the ladder to both sides. I am average height and it makes it so much easier for me vs standing on the tire.
I think Maximus killed it with their set up

Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle ladders useless? Snapseed 21
That's a great idea. You can access it from both sides. Never thought about that. Awesome.
Sponsored