Urr2slo's Rubicon build

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
I ordered my JLR mid Feb and it arrived the last day in March. Right off the back we took it off-roading to break it in correctly. I haven't owned a jeep since my TJUR was stolen 10 years ago but recently had to urge to go of road again and go places where my truck cant.
First off stock it exceeded all my expectations, after a few weeks I started throwing money at it. First off was getting all the trail stuff, hi capacity air compressor, recovery strap, tow strap, hitch shackle, tool kit, flash light, gear bag and coffee can with toilet paper. After my second trip out a noticed the antenna was taking a beating at times so I got a short stubby antenna to prevent breaking it at the base. Shortly after that a reckless driver on the freeway took out the car next to me and bounced him into my passenger side. Fortunately their insurance company accepted full responsibility and paid me out to repair it. Spent the next 2 weeks waiting on parts so I took my dash apart to color match it as well. Well I decided to do some airbrushing as well since the right side airbag cover looked like a blank canvas.
I also found some wheels I really liked, American Racing Patrol's to mount my new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 35's. These are a new tire for M/T and I have a few contacts at M/T and I was talking to one of there tire engineers about this tire at SEMA last year, it was to be released this March so since I have really liked the M/T Deegan 38's on my Duramax I would give these a shot. The engineer had told me that these mud terrains were designed for max off road performance while providing long life, smooth ride, great handling and minimal road noise. They haven't dis-appointed, after 600 miles these are awesome and not any louder than the stock BFG's.
Next up will be the lift kit, exhaust, air intake, skid plates, bumpers, winch, lighting, clutch upgrade and finally when it gets released a Magnuson's supercharger.
Stay tuned, the goal is to get it all done by the end of the year.

jl5.jpg

jl1.jpg

jl2.jpg

jl3.jpg

jl4.jpg

jl7.jpg

Jeep pics 001.JPG

Jeep pics 002.JPG

Jeep pics 003.JPG

Jeep pics 004.JPG

Jeep pics 006.JPG

Jeep pics 007.JPG

Jeep pics 008.JPG

Jeep pics 009.JPG

Jeep pics 010.JPG

Jeep pics 011.JPG

Jeep pics 012.JPG
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Nice! We need more 2 door builds.

JohnAndLisa

First Name
JohnAndLisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubi 2door(his), Cooper Mini(hers), Harley Sportster 1200(his), Yamaha V-Star 250(hers)
Occupation
HiTech dweeb,retired from the rat race long ago ;)
Nice! We need more 2 door builds.
We're waiting for our two door Rubicon we ordered May 11. I talked to the dealer yesterday about the status. He said it's awaiting the beginning of build, and about four more weeks for delivery. Seems long to me!

Anyway, since "Jeep" is an acronym for Just Empty Every Pocket, we've been looking at mods and changes. For example, from HotHeads I have the complete set of hard top liners and sound reducers ready to install.

Next are wheels and tires. What do you guys think of these? We like the more aggressive looks.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-mickey-thompson-atz-p3-tire-jeep-wrangler-jk

Wife says "Eh, whatever."

Odd that Quadratec advertises "$399.99" with free shipping. Selecting one comes out to $399.99. But selecting five are almost $2,700!

If this wheel/tire pairing and price has the forum's Jeep tire sage's blessing, I'll call Quadratec and order if they lower the price to about 5 x $400 = $2,000.

Last edited:

JohnAndLisa

First Name
JohnAndLisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubi 2door(his), Cooper Mini(hers), Harley Sportster 1200(his), Yamaha V-Star 250(hers)
Occupation
...snip...

Odd that Quadratec advertises "$399.99" with free shipping. Selecting one comes out to $399.99. But selecting five are almost $2,700!

If this wheel/tire pairing and price has the forum's Jeep tire sage's blessing, I'll call Quadratec and order if they lower the price to about 5 x $400 = $2,000.

Took me 20 minutes talking to the salesman to get him to acknowledge the pricing discrepancy was a programming error on their site.

Five of these will be 5 X $399.99 = $1,999.95 + 7% local state sales tax.

Is this a good wheel/tire combo, and is this a good deal?

Thanks, John and Lisa

Sponsored

OP
OP
urr2slo

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tire, the one in your package is their older design tire, the Baja boss is the new design and I am amazed on how quiet it is and how well it handles. I would see if you can upgrade to the new tire.

JohnAndLisa

First Name
JohnAndLisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I went with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tire, the one in your package is their older design tire, the Baja boss is the new design and I am amazed on how quiet it is and how well it handles. I would see if you can upgrade to the new tire.
Thanks for the information. One thing that held us off from buying a Jeep was the noisy cabin we encountered during test drives. At hi-way speeds, we almost needed to holler at each other. Your suggestion certainly will quiet things down a bit!

It seems like our Rubi will be here sometime from the end of July, into the first couple of weeks of August. This Quadratec/MT wheel/tire combo looks good at a good price, but thy're certainly not needed. Also, there are other highly rated all season/all purpose tires mounted on wheels packages for around $2,000 for 5 shipped.

Think we'll keep our VISA card in storage for a while longer.

OP
OP
urr2slo

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Ochoa1801

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2018 sport S
I ordered my JLR mid Feb and it arrived the last day in March. Right off the back we took it off-roading to break it in correctly. I haven't owned a jeep since my TJUR was stolen 10 years ago but recently had to urge to go of road again and go places where my truck cant.
First off stock it exceeded all my expectations, after a few weeks I started throwing money at it. First off was getting all the trail stuff, hi capacity air compressor, recovery strap, tow strap, hitch shackle, tool kit, flash light, gear bag and coffee can with toilet paper. After my second trip out a noticed the antenna was taking a beating at times so I got a short stubby antenna to prevent breaking it at the base. Shortly after that a reckless driver on the freeway took out the car next to me and bounced him into my passenger side. Fortunately their insurance company accepted full responsibility and paid me out to repair it. Spent the next 2 weeks waiting on parts so I took my dash apart to color match it as well. Well I decided to do some airbrushing as well since the right side airbag cover looked like a blank canvas.
I also found some wheels I really liked, American Racing Patrol's to mount my new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 35's. These are a new tire for M/T and I have a few contacts at M/T and I was talking to one of there tire engineers about this tire at SEMA last year, it was to be released this March so since I have really liked the M/T Deegan 38's on my Duramax I would give these a shot. The engineer had told me that these mud terrains were designed for max off road performance while providing long life, smooth ride, great handling and minimal road noise. They haven't dis-appointed, after 600 milles

do you have up dates about your Mickey Thompson tires, pros Cons ? Please let me know. I will be the same tomorrow .

thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
urr2slo

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have about 6k on the M/T's and they have been great, no cons at all.