Sponsored

Upgrading to Rubicon suspension

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
Hello! first thread. Just ordered a freedom edition, we should get it in just about a month. (build date 2/26).

There are lots of inexpensive rubicon take off suspensions around, should be a pretty simple install.

What parts should I be looking for when I buy a used set - springs, shocks, and swaybar endlinks only?

Will also be buying a set of takeoff rubicon 33's.
Sponsored

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Springs and shocks is all you need to do the install. I gained 1 inch all the way around using a set of Rubi Diesel springs.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
^^^ I agree. I got 1” front lift out of a Rubicon hardtop, steel bumper, tow group set of springs on my hardtop Sahara. The rear was only raised .750”.

OP
OP
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
Awesome, thank you! so I don't need the swaybar endlinks? I also see people selling something else (larger solid black pieces) with their suspension, not even sure what it is. we will have the steel bumper so we might not get as much front lift. we were between willys and freedom, liked the wheel and tire package on the willys (and it has the rubi shocks and upgraded brakes) but my wife (its her car) didn't like the black grill, and DID like the partial leather interior. Rubi wheels and tires are easier to find than willy's wheels and tires but we will take either and if we get the willy's just upgrade to 33s on the first tire replacement.

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Awesome, thank you! so I don't need the swaybar endlinks? I also see people selling something else (larger solid black pieces) with their suspension, not even sure what it is. we will have the steel bumper so we might not get as much front lift. we were between willys and freedom, liked the wheel and tire package on the willys (and it has the rubi shocks and upgraded brakes) but my wife (its her car) didn't like the black grill, and DID like the partial leather interior. Rubi wheels and tires are easier to find than willy's wheels and tires but we will take either and if we get the willy's just upgrade to 33s on the first tire replacement.
Correct no need for swaybar endlinks as they are the same and the large black parts are the lower control arms. The guy I got my stuff from gave me his track bars, sway bar end links and LCA's none of which was different from mine so its just sitting around. Ordered myself a Clayton 2.5 overland kit so now I just should have waited and ordered that stuff instead of buying the lift lol.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good to have the extra endlinks included though since they are a wear item, and can be snapped if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time :( And they're small & light so won't add much if you're getting the set shipped to you.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Shocks and springs with Mopar lca before & after
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading to Rubicon suspension 4C894BC2-3426-46CB-AA76-2EA90CBD2B3D

this is from rubicon takeoffs with steel bumper package

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
Picking it up tonight! Have a set of Willys take off wheels and tires ready to go. Since it has the steel bumper I assume I might not get as much lift with the rubicon steel bumper springs but should still get some!
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading to Rubicon suspension ADACC65C-D511-437B-AF97-3DACA2AED530

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I went from 57/58 & 88/89 to rubicon 60/61 & 91/92 and gained 1” up front and .75” rear. Only thing i needed was springs and shocks.

The guy threw in swaybar ends, front lca and both track bars. They are the same on my Sahara.