Sponsored

Uconnect 8.4 upgrade problems

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I purchased a brand new Uconnect 8.4 for my 2021 JL. I installed it and Jeep automatically popped up when I turned it on. A little pop up that said XM downloading was visible for a second, then disappeared. It seems that everything works but two things. 1) even though it said SXM downloading, I can't find the app anywhere to be able to use. The second, is the climate controls appear to work, but radio only says LO and doesn't say what exactly I am changing it to. The dealership was clear about me not being able to return it. Is this because I don't have the LTE antenna to be able to download the app? Help!
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I purchased a brand new Uconnect 8.4 for my 2021 JL. I installed it and Jeep automatically popped up when I turned it on. A little pop up that said XM downloading was visible for a second, then disappeared. It seems that everything works but two things. 1) even though it said SXM downloading, I can't find the app anywhere to be able to use. The second, is the climate controls appear to work, but radio only says LO and doesn't say what exactly I am changing it to. The dealership was clear about me not being able to return it. Is this because I don't have the LTE antenna to be able to download the app? Help!
How long has it been since you installed it? It could take a couple days for it to "pair" with your Jeep and adjust itself to its features. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it takes forever.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Don’t freak out yet!

I had something similar happen this week. The 8.4” uConnect 4 screen in our 2016 Durango had been delaminating for over a year. I finally sent it to Infotainment.com for repair last week. They were kind enough to do a software update.

When I reinstalled it and powered it up, it thought it was installed in a Ram, no sound came out of the speakers, and I could only see AM & FM.

I shut the Durango off, came out a few hours later, restarted it, and everything was back to normal. I’m not sure if it has to talk the the main computer, or download additional software, but it now knows it’s in a Durango, the speakers work fine, and our ability to listen to SiriusXM has returned.

OP
OP

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed it about an hour ago. You think giving it some time might help?

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I just installed it about an hour ago. You think giving it some time might help?
Yes, I just did mine yesterday. I gave it an hour and not everything worked. I did a sleep cycle overnight and everything is working perfectly.

Sponsored

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
Give it 24 hours. By the time you wake up in the morning, it’ll be fixed. I know that isn’t what you’re looking for, but that’s reality. Weird stuff with the 8.4 doesn’t happen all the time, but all will be right as rain by tomorrow morning.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

1) even though it said SXM downloading, I can't find the app anywhere to be able to use
There is no SiriusXM App. Push the Radio or Media button and then on the left of the screen should be the options for AM, FM and SXM. If SXM doesn't show, you can press the 3rd button to cycle through the options.

I can't find the app anywhere to be able to use. The second, is the climate controls appear to work, but radio only says LO and doesn't say what exactly I am changing it to.
You need to give the radio, at minimum, 24 hours to learn your vehicle's features. The Uconnect radios are tightly integrated with the vehicle's CANBUS system and need time to update so that all feature are available. Best best is to leave things alone and let the vehicle sit overnight.

OP
OP

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: So like many of you suggested I waited until the next morning and sure enough, the radio seemed like everything was working. The only thing that I noticed that doesn't seem to be working is that the backup lines have disappeared. I checked for the option under settings and it is checked. I tried unchecking and rechecking it and nothing. Suggestions? Has anyone had a similar problem before? I seem to remember seeing something about it when doing the research and trying to decide to do the upgrade.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Update: So like many of you suggested I waited until the next morning and sure enough, the radio seemed like everything was working. The only thing that I noticed that doesn't seem to be working is that the backup lines have disappeared. I checked for the option under settings and it is checked. I tried unchecking and rechecking it and nothing. Suggestions? Has anyone had a similar problem before? I seem to remember seeing something about it when doing the research and trying to decide to do the upgrade.
Leave it alone. Sometimes they disappear if you jump in startup and immediately put it in reverse. Give it a few seconds to boot up and then reverse.

Praccio

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Leave it alone. Sometimes they disappear if you jump in startup and immediately put it in reverse. Give it a few seconds to boot up and then reverse.
I am having the same issue with my backup camera on a 21 Sahara where I swapped to the 8.4. It's been almost two days. Did yours come back over time?

Sponsored

OP
OP

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am having the same issue with my backup camera on a 21 Sahara where I swapped to the 8.4. It's been almost two days. Did yours come back over time?
They never did. Afterwards I used the Tazer JL to activate the Off-road Pages and Sirius Travel Link which involved a reboot. They came back for the evening, then disappeared again. I am wondering if it is a software issue. My radio was new from the factory and not off another wrangler.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Welcome to the endless “back-up” lines disappearing odyssey. It is a common problem and there are many threads on it.
Gregj
Sponsored