Sponsored

Two E-Torque electrical questions

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi, I just bought a 2021 JLUR last week powered by a 3.6L E-Torque. It is replacing my 2007 JK Sport.

When I bought the JLUR the salesman at the dealership made a big deal about never never jumpstarting another vehicle with the JLUR. Not specifically because it was E-Torque but because the JLUR has so many sensitive electronics which could get damaged by jumpstarting. He recommended buying a portable jumpstarter for the JLUR.

But the Jeep owner's manual provides instructions on how to jumpstart the vehicle or other vehicles. So it seems OK if you do it right. If I understand correctly, the JLUR is highly unlikely to ever need jumpstarting because the normal 12V battery is backed up by the 48V E-Torque. But is it safe to jumpstart another vehicle with JLUR if you follow the correct sequence or not?

Also, the JLUR will ultimately end up at Lake Tahoe where it might sit for a month or two occasionally or for 1-3 weeks frequently. When this happened with the JK, I disconnected the battery. I was thinking I would get a trickle charger for the JLUR to use when it will be left for a while. But with E-Torque maybe this is not necessary? The salesman at the dealer told me I didn't need to charge the 12V battery when it sits for a while. Again not because it was E-Torque but because the Jeep battery is so good.

I want to believe the salesman knew what he was talking about. But he also told me the reason the Mopar floor mats had no plugs was because "the water has to go somewhere". I knew that was wrong and a quick Internet search told me where the plugs were. But I need some help with the electrical questions. Not my strong suite. Thanks
Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I carry a NOCO GB150, it will jump just about anything. Ive personally never been a fan of jumping other vehicles with mine, carrying the booster pack just makes it so much easier

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I just bought a 2021 JLUR last week powered by a 3.6L E-Torque. It is replacing my 2007 JK Sport.

When I bought the JLUR the salesman at the dealership made a big deal about never never jumpstarting another vehicle with the JLUR. Not specifically because it was E-Torque but because the JLUR has so many sensitive electronics which could get damaged by jumpstarting. He recommended buying a portable jumpstarter for the JLUR.

But the Jeep owner's manual provides instructions on how to jumpstart the vehicle or other vehicles. So it seems OK if you do it right. If I understand correctly, the JLUR is highly unlikely to ever need jumpstarting because the normal 12V battery is backed up by the 48V E-Torque. But is it safe to jumpstart another vehicle with JLUR if you follow the correct sequence or not?

Also, the JLUR will ultimately end up at Lake Tahoe where it might sit for a month or two occasionally or for 1-3 weeks frequently. When this happened with the JK, I disconnected the battery. I was thinking I would get a trickle charger for the JLUR to use when it will be left for a while. But with E-Torque maybe this is not necessary? The salesman at the dealer told me I didn't need to charge the 12V battery when it sits for a while. Again not because it was E-Torque but because the Jeep battery is so good.

I want to believe the salesman knew what he was talking about. But he also told me the reason the Mopar floor mats had no plugs was because "the water has to go somewhere". I knew that was wrong and a quick Internet search told me where the plugs were. But I need some help with the electrical questions. Not my strong suite. Thanks
I've jump started other vehicles with my eTorque equipped 2.0T without issue.

The 12V starting battery IS NOT backed up by the 48V eTorque battery for starting situations. The eTorque battery is there for Start/Stop and to provide a small assist in torque for a short amount of time when accelerating from a stop. The eTorque battery combined with the Belt Start Generator allows for pretty seamless Start/Stop cycles as it doesn't use the normal starter when re-engaging the engine.. Non-eTorque versions use a small auxiliary battery for Start/Stop and then uses the actual starter to re-engage the engine.

My 2018's factory 12V battery died in 2.5 years and less than 30k miles. The factory 12V batteries aren't anything special, most stock batteries aren't very robust. I bought a Northstar Group 94 AGM for it's replacement.

If you're going to be letting your Jeep sit for a few weeks, I would put it on a trickle charger, regardless if you keep the stock 12V or get something better. When my battery died, it was after sitting for 2 weeks. It was jump started and fine for another few weeks (being driven every other day), but finally quit holding a charge.
Sponsored