JRoy7070

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Earl Grey
You’re playing with fire messing with wastegate springs… 🔥

We are not talking the same spring. You are correct, playing around with the wastegate spring to change the boost is not smart.

I am talking about the spring that keeps tensions on the actuator arm and attachment that rattles against the body, lets the arm rattle, lets the stem of the actuator rattle and just make for an overall pretty unpleasant noise.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You’re playing with fire messing with wastegate springs… 🔥
I looked at my Jeep and the wastegate is electrically operated. When you mentioned "wastegate springs" I was thinking of the old Porsche 930 days where we just changed the spring to change the boost. I checked my Jeep and was looking for this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo rattle? 1705952741532

JRoy7070

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Earl Grey
Ah, I remember those! Yeah most are electronically operated these days but yeah you used to be able to change the wastegate spring and "get more power" until you blew up the engine, lol

yeah my 2024 wrangler has an actuator arm from the electronic actuator on over. Maybe I am not using the exact correct terminology but theres a retention spring between the actuator arm and the top of the wastegate stem. that spring and the actuator arm loves to vibrate incessantly between the heat shield and turbo housing and i want to say one other thing. Sounds terrible.
Sponsored