Tree sap

Graphic914

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Porsche 914 LE, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Left my jl under a pine tree. Got home and had sap on hood window bumper and soft top. Hood and windshield came clean with sap remover. On bumpers and plastic fender not so much, in fact it looks like crap were I put sap river on. Not sure what to do about soft top. Any advice?
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I use coconut oil to remove adhesives from delicate or chemically sensitive materials like plastics. I used it to take the residue off from the Scotch tape the dealer used for the temp registration on my rear vinyl window. It's probably not as instant as harsher chemicals, but it usually works with a bit of elbow grease. I'd imagine almost any cooking oil works the same. It can leave stains on fabric though, so, I'd try something else if you have the premium soft top... Maybe just straight dish soap?

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Left my jl under a pine tree. Got home and had sap on hood window bumper and soft top. Hood and windshield came clean with sap remover. On bumpers and plastic fender not so much, in fact it looks like crap were I put sap river on. Not sure what to do about soft top. Any advice?
I've actually been an automotive painter for almost 30 years. I use standard isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Soak the end of a soft cloth or paper towel with the alcohol and gently wipe over the sap until it is fully removed. It won't hurt you paint and typically comes off very easily. I don't know if you should use this same approach on the soft top?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I've actually been an automotive painter for almost 30 years. I use standard isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Soak the end of a soft cloth or paper towel with the alcohol and gently wipe over the sap until it is fully removed. It won't hurt you paint and typically comes off very easily. I don't know if you should use this same approach on the soft top?
Would this work on plastic fenders?.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I bought my first clay bar kit expecting it to clean some kind of residue from my painted fenders.
Did'nt work, neither did any rubbing compound. Tried Goop....now I'll try the isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
Sponsored