OP
i64X

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
OK not a Jeep but my father ran into the same issue with his Toyota Camry.

Bought a set of winter tires with rims and after market sensors. They did not work and had to have the dealer program them. When he put the summer rims with stock TPMS back on they did not work because of the reprogram. He said screw it and left it that way. Winter came again and now the system does not recognize the after market TPMS that were programed and working previous season.

I suggest to get your original TPMS to avoid additional aggravation.
That’s really odd. I had an Acura RSX-S with a set of winter tires and had no problem switching two programmed sets. I really hate these things. I wish people were just smart enough to take 2 seconds to check their pressures while filing up once a month. Haha
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I don’t think they charged me labor for installation of those specifically, just the normal $19/tire mount. I fully expect to get the $ for the TPMS back since they don’t work, unless they can get them working (which I doubt). I don’t expect to pay to have them put my stock TPMS in the aftermarket wheels though either, which I doubt they’ll try to push since they can’t get the sensors they sold me to work. The guys at my Discount Tire are good dudes, I just don’t look forward to taking the car seats out of the back and hauling everything back to Discount, which is a half an hour away, for the third time. Ah well.
On a long shot, try killing ALL 12v power to the JLU and then re-connect. Perhaps this will force a read of the TPMS's you have. Only takes 5 minutes to try.

Read here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/to-kill-12v-power-to-the-jl-jlu.6244/

OP
OP
i64X

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
The only option that you can do is buy the tazer programmer module and it can turn off the tpms sensors suppose and do many more things I think it’s like 300 dollars

2DF1673D-40F2-47A7-96DB-9D9378C8339A.png
Dammit, why’d you have to show me that. Now I want one. Auto adjust for bigger tires (which I have to pay the dealer to do now anyway), turn off start/stop, disable TPMS, disable NAV lockout while moving... so much more. This thing looks awesome. I wonder what “Enable cargo camera” means. Is there another input on the factory radio that we can use via some other type of input? I’d love to hook up a Raspberry Pi to the head unit and be able to output video to it.

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
Dammit, why’d you have to show me that. Now I want one. Auto adjust for bigger tires (which I have to pay the dealer to do now anyway), turn off start/stop, disable TPMS, disable NAV lockout while moving... so much more. This thing looks awesome. I wonder what “Enable cargo camera” means. Is there another input on the factory radio that we can use via some other type of input? I’d love to hook up a Raspberry Pi to the head unit and be able to output video to it.
I know right I think I may buy one too

OP
OP
i64X

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update on this —

After they “activated” the sensors yesterday with the beeper, I drove home (about 45 minutes / 40 miles) and the light was still on. Then went to the car wash and back (5 miles), still on.

This morning most of my way to work the light was still on, but about half way in (15 more miles) I noticed it was off. I checked the display and it showed pressures for all 4 tires. Win! Looks like it just took way longer than it was supposed to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
Update on this —

After they “activated” the sensors yesterday with the beeper, I drove home (about 45 minutes / 40 miles) and the light was still on. Then went to the car wash and back (5 miles), still on.

This morning most of my way to work the light was still on, but about half way in (15 more miles) I noticed it was off. I checked the display and it showed pressures for all 4 tires. Win! Looks like it just took way longer than it was supposed to.

Glad it worked for you. I know I went 30 days before I put the stock sensors back in

OP
OP
i64X

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a tazer for my JL so I can play with tpms
I want to get one of those still. Being able to disable the stupid stop start is awesome. I’m waiting for someone to figure out how to implement external video through that “Cargo Camera” setting that Tazer enables you to turn on before I pull the trigger.

OP
OP
i64X

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it worked for you. I know I went 30 days before I put the stock sensors back in
Seeing those stupid lights drove me nuts for only a day. No way I could stare at them for 30. I was on my way this morning to get the stockers out of the warehouse at work, pack them up, and take them to Discount. I’m glad it decided to start working before I went through all of that. Haha

I hope this post helps someone else. Good to know that specific model that Discount sells works.

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a tazer for my JL so I can play with tpms
Let me know your thoughts on this. I want to adjust tpms and update speedometer. I also see they let you activate the aux switches if you do not have the towing pkg and install aftermarket.

Sponsored

Tailon Black

First Name
Tailon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the info. I just got mine from Discount as well and they are not working. I am going to take it back to have them manually reset them.

Tailon Black

First Name
Tailon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the info. I just got mine from Discount as well and they are not working. I am going to take it back to have them manually reset them.
Update, they put the wrong sensor in it. They switched it out with model 3500 and it works now.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Last edited:

Curtispray

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram Sport, 2017 Grand Cherokee
I have a similar issue. 3 of 4 TPMS work for me from Discount Tire. I went back, the sensor was reset, then ultimately replaced with a new one. I have driven close to 100 miles on both sensors, and still have a blank reading. Except, it did register briefly when I got a vehicle health report from the uconnect app, but went away after the next re-start. Given that it worked briefly it makes me think it’s a vehicle issue rather than TPMS.

Any advice?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I have a similar issue. 3 of 4 TPMS work for me from Discount Tire. I went back, the sensor was reset, then ultimately replaced with a new one. I have driven close to 100 miles on both sensors, and still have a blank reading. Except, it did register briefly when I got a vehicle health report from the uconnect app, but went away after the next re-start. Given that it worked briefly it makes me think it’s a vehicle issue rather than TPMS.

Any advice?
Probably the TPMS. We have had others here report similar..

Go back to Discount Tire. They installed a TPMS that is not going to play well with the JL. Have them install their "Model 3500" which other JL owner's here have reported to work fine with the JL.

They should not charge you. This is the result of their installing the wrong TPMS.

Sponsored