Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Toyo MT, I found a great deal online on them and ask my local off-road shop to match they agreed but are saying they pull really badly, and are trying to talk me into different tires.. wanting to hear with anyone using any size Toyo Mt if they have had that problem.. and any general feedback you can offer

I am considering 315/79/17 c ply tires, if you have that size I am especially interested in your feedback.. thank you all for your help :)
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Toyo MT, I found a great deal online on them and ask my local off-road shop to match they agreed but are saying they pull really badly, and are trying to talk me into different tires.. wanting to hear with anyone using any size Toyo Mt if they have had that problem.. and any general feedback you can offer

I am considering 315/79/17 c ply tires, if you have that size I am especially interested in your feedback.. thank you all for your help :)
Ive had toyos on trucks, in 37s bullet proof tires, but theyve always had a slight pull in my experience

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I drove them for over 45,000 miles on my last Jeep and they still had plenty of miles to go. I never had a pulling issue with them, that sounds like a bad balance or alignment issue. Beware though, I had 35x12.5x17 which is the same size you want and they are HEAVY. I think they may be one of if not the heaviest tire in a 35" mud terrain. They were great offroad for me in rocks and mud, but had a loud hum on the highway. If I decided I need a mud terrain tire I would buy them again, but I know a good AT tire will suit me better this time around.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I had Toyo MT’s on my JK and I loved them. Like mentioned above, they are bulletproof. I pulled multiple nails out of them and scraped them on lava rock and never had a leak. Traction was great in snow, mud, rocks and I feel they were pretty quiet on the hwy. I have been considering getting another set for my JL to replace the KO2’s. I had a great experience and didn’t notice the right hand pull. Good luck.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I drove them for over 45,000 miles on my last Jeep and they still had plenty of miles to go. I never had a pulling issue with them, that sounds like a bad balance or alignment issue. Beware though, I had 35x12.5x17 which is the same size you want and they are HEAVY. I think they may be one of if not the heaviest tire in a 35" mud terrain. They were great offroad for me in rocks and mud, but had a loud hum on the highway. If I decided I need a mud terrain tire I would buy them again, but I know a good AT tire will suit me better this time around.
Ya I am looking at the 315/70/17 c ply which is about 76lbs was thinking of stt pro at 68lbs before I saw the deal on these.. I hear the 37” guys saying that the new JL handles extra tire weight better so I was hopeful it would be ok.. i am going with a 27lb wheel .. so if use the 3x equation it will be like having 1-2 people in the car with me.. which seems ok.. but the other reason I am feeling brave to go MT for the first time is that Toyo does 500miles 45 day no question returns for full refund.. so if I hate I can bail and play it safe with k02s

Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ya I am looking at the 315/70/17 c ply which is about 76lbs was thinking of stt pro at 68lbs before I saw the deal on these.. I hear the 37” guys saying that the new JL handles extra tire weight better so I was hopeful it would be ok.. i am going with a 27lb wheel .. so if use the 3x equation it will be like having 1-2 people in the car with me.. which seems ok.. but the other reason I am feeling brave to go MT for the first time is that Toyo does 500miles 45 day no question returns for full refund.. so if I hate I can bail and play it safe with k02s
The thing to remember though is rotational mass equates different than mass from carrying extra passengers/gear. I know the new motors and trans can handle the mass better, but it is still a lot of weight to be moving around. When you think of stock compared to aftermarket adding 20-30lbs per corner of rotational mass also increases braking distance and brake ware, slows down acceleration, and worsens gas mileage. I had to regear my JK to 5.13 gears for the 35s and even after that I still never saw above 15mpg. Just food for thought.

Lockheed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW X4

H there
I have a 2019 JLUR MT with 35x12.5x17 E rated Toyo MT's
mounted on Fuel Beast 17x9x -12 offset rims - link below
http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel/5759/fuel-1-piece-wheels-beast-d564/?finishID=1073&lugs=6

I also had the dealer install the mopar lift about 4 days after I took delivery - I put the toyos on prior to the lift

I never experienced any kind of pulling due to the tires - before or after the lift
I offroad in northern Michigan - not any rock climbing so far

I am very pleased with the tires - yes there heavy - yes my gas mileage probably suffered - which I honestly don't care about
In my opinion I would not be afraid of E rated tires - It's a truck - I mean Jeep - its ok with me if it rides like one!

This summer wifey and I spent a fabulous day at Silver Lake Sand Dunes
aired the Toyo's down to 12psi and made it up Test Hill on the second attempt - wild ride

Like all MT's they have some noise - especially with top down and doors off - not bad at all when colder and hardtop on with windows up
My son-in-law recommended that I rotate every 3k to keep the wear even and the noise down - so that's what I have been doing - 7.5k so far

I saw you pm'd me and I just decided to respond here so others could cooment

just buy em!!

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The thing to remember though is rotational mass equates different than mass from carrying extra passengers/gear. I know the new motors and trans can handle the mass better, but it is still a lot of weight to be moving around. When you think of stock compared to aftermarket adding 20-30lbs per corner of rotational mass also increases braking distance and brake wear slows down acceleration and worsens gas mileage. I had to regear my JK to 5.13 gears for the 35s and even after that I still never saw above 15mpg. Just food for thought.
The shop just offered me RIDGE GRAPPLERS at the same price.. but they are # E ply, not C, and both tires are the same weight 76lbs.. I am torn.. but the TOYO do have the return program so if I hate, I can always switch out for the RIDGEGRAPPLERS or KO2. He also offered Copper STT PRO same price 67lbs. KO2 is 65lbs.

I am scared of weight too my business partner has 35's k02 with steel wheels, and I think it drives like a tractor.

so basically i am all spun out now lol

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The shop just offered me RIDGE GRAPPLERS at the same price.. but they are # E ply, not C, and both tires are the same weight 76lbs.. I am torn.. but the TOYO do have the return program so if I hate, I can always switch out for the RIDGEGRAPPLERS or KO2. He also offered Copper STT PRO same price 67lbs. KO2 is 65lbs.

I am scared of weight too my business partner has 35's k02 with steel wheels, and I think it drives like a tractor.

so basically i am all spun out now lol
Lets slow it down, and back up a bit to figure it out.

Firstly, do you need a mud terrain?
Do you wheel your jeep?
If so, what terrain?
How often?
How much time does it spend on road/is is your daily driver?

Many people love the Toyo MT and Nitto RG, however they are very heavy tires. There are many light weight options out their for MT, AT, and hybrids.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
1) i do not need a mud terrain - i want one, i have never done and love the look, and do hit trails once a month, but my ATs have always been fine for my needs.
2) I wheel once a month primarily in SOCAL dessert, or big bear mountain areas. Mostly dry dirt or sand. I wheel it like a grandma picking up katnip after church on Sunday because I have my wife and two small kids with me 90% of the time. But i do go once or twice a year and do intermediate and light advanced trails with my business partner and whatever other buddies we can find for a guys camping and wheeling weekend. (i don't want to get left behind).
3) like most jeep is 98% on the road
4) I initially avoided the Nitto/Toyo brand for weight, but when it comes to sized, ply, tread options.. they tend to have more options and sucked me in. I have had k02 and they are nice.. but wanted something more aggressive, but worried about weight and noise. Since it is 98% road, and a soft-top

(appreciate you stepping in for crisis intervention) lol

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
1) i do not need a mud terrain - i want one, i have never done and love the look, and do hit trails once a month, but my ATs have always been fine for my needs.
2) I wheel once a month primarily in SOCAL dessert, or big bear mountain areas. Mostly dry dirt or sand. I wheel it like a grandma picking up katnip after church on Sunday because I have my wife and two small kids with me 90% of the time. But i do go once or twice a year and do intermediate and light advanced trails with my business partner and whatever other buddies we can find for a guys camping and wheeling weekend. (i don't want to get left behind).
3) like most jeep is 98% on the road
4) I initially avoided the Nitto/Toyo brand for weight, but when it comes to sized, ply, tread options.. they tend to have more options and sucked me in. I have had k02 and they are nice.. but wanted something more aggressive, but worried about weight and noise. Since it is 98% road, and a soft-top

(appreciate you stepping in for crisis intervention) lol
No problem. If you are set on an MT. Here are some light options:

Mastercraft MXT (made by cooper). Very similar to the STT Pro but the MXT is quiet and smooth on road.
315x70r17 64 pounds
35x12.50r27 64 pounds

Milestar Patagonia. Extremely quiet and smooth on road. I have run three sets.
315x70r17 68 pounds

I've run both tires, 3 sets of the Milestar. I like them both a lot.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem. If you are set on an MT. Here are some light options:

Mastercraft MXT (made by cooper). Very similar to the STT Pro but the MXT is quiet and smooth on road.
315x70r17 64 pounds
35x12.50r27 64 pounds

Milestar Patagonia. Extremely quiet and smooth on road. I have run three sets.
315x70r17 68 pounds

I've run both tires, 3 sets of the Milestar. I like them both a lot.
Do you remember how many miles you got out of them?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Do you remember how many miles you got out of them?
I'm not sure. I swap out vehicles to often to get a good reading.

If you want an MT that is guaranteed to last, quiet, and smooth, check out the Pro Comp Xtreme MT2. They have a 40,000 mile gaurantee. It is the only MT that I know of to have a mileage guarantee. They are also lightweight.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure. Swap out vehicles to often to get a good reading.

If you want an MT that is guaranteed to last, quiet, and smooth, check out the Pro Comp Xtreme MT2. They have a 40,000 mile gaurantee. Only MTthat I know of to have a milage guarantee. They are also lightweight.
How are they on noise