Sponsored

Total Wrangler Noob Here (Looking for Advice)

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
Howdy everyone! I have a 2023 Wrangler Willys Sport 2-Door (2.0L Turbo) in Sarge Green on order. I have used the search function on this forum to find as much info as I can and what can I say except that I'm still quite confused. I want to build this Jeep into a weekend warrior rig/daily driver that can withstand moderate to somewhat difficult off-roading. I want to be able to run 35s and still have enough room that scrubbing the fenders under compression won't be an issue. This is the current build that I have put together. Please let me know if you guys have any better suggestions that may be more budget friendly than my current goal. Afterall I'm not made of money (I got a Willys Sport after all). Several years down the road, I would like to run a compressor and add a rear locker. I really would like to not regear if at all possible. I would also like to retain as close to a factory steering feel as possible. Sorry guys, I'm coming from IFS my whole life besides an old Cherokee Sport so I'm trying to learn.

MOPAR 2 inch kit w/Fox Shocks: $1,440.08
Rock Krawler Adjustable Front Track Bar: $264.75
Fox Steering Stabilizer: $199.95
JKS Quick Disconnects: $194.64
BFG T/A K02 315/70R17 X5: $2,024.95
Total: $4,124.37 before labor and taxes

Jeep Wrangler JL Total Wrangler Noob Here (Looking for Advice) Jeep Build
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrVito

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco, 2023 JL
You could get very lightly used Rubicon take off suspension, fenders, and bumpers for less than the Mopar 2" lift. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you'll need to run wheel spacers to keep from rubbing on the LCA's with the tires you have listed. If you really don't want to re-gear, I wouldn't go up to 35's from the 32's. 6th gear will become useless (check out the spreadsheet on this thread for specifics https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/calculator-gear-ratio-tire-size-speed-etc.38206/ )

I know everybody wants to jump to 35 or 37 inch tires right away, but IMHO you'd be better served with a locker, winch, and quality recovery gear. Those 32" M/T's one a Willys Sport and the LSD are surprisingly capable as is. Have fun with it bone stock for a while and see if it suits your needs before dumping a bunch of money into mods that you amy not even need, ya know? Just my 2 cents though

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A 2-dr Willys Sarge Green is sooo cool! Congrats on the new Jeep. I think your list is solid. The only thing I would change to save some $$ is the stabilizer. I have run the Fox one and you won't notice much difference (if any at all) between the stock and the Fox stabilizer. The Fox stabilizer does have the "look cool" factor and will match your Fox shocks on the lift but IMO not necessary. The factory stabilizer location does hang low though so one recommendation when it comes to stabilizers (especially if you spend money on an upgraded one) is a kit to relocate it to above your tie rod if you plan to off-road in tall rocks.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
As far as the Fox stabilizer. Go with the TS version. The ifp version will cause steering to pull slightly to the right.

I believe MrVito is correct, you are going to need spacers to run those tires. Otherwise you need to change wheels to a 0 or negative offset. Besides that, alot of shops I looked at wouldnt mount that size onto a 7.5 wide wheel.

I’m gonna go the opposite on the regear though. Im running 35’s on the 3.45 gears and its actually not bad. I see 6th but I rarely ever see 8th. Still plenty of get up and I am between 20-21mpg. Is it ideal? No of course not and when I swap axles I’ll go with 4.88’s but for the past 10k miles its been no issue.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m gonna go the opposite on the regear though. Im running 35’s on the 3.73 gears and its actually not bad. I see 6th but I rarely ever see 8th. Still plenty of get up and I am between 20-21mpg. Is it ideal? No of course not and when I swap axles I’ll go with 4.88’s but for the past 10k miles its been no issue.
I agree with ⬆ this. As soon as you re-gear you void your axle warranty. A different ratio will help with performance when running a larger tire but it's worth trying it 1st before spending the money to re-gear to see how much performace is actually lost and if it's even worth it to change the ratio or not.

Sponsored

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
⬆ this. As soon as you re-gear you void your axle warranty. A different ratio will help with performance when running a larger tire but it's worth trying it 1st before spending the money to re-gear to see how much performace is actually lost and if it's even worth it to change the ratio or not.
For clarity sake, I typed 3.73 gears and edited it, its 3.45 gears.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You could get very lightly used Rubicon take off suspension, fenders, and bumpers for less than the Mopar 2" lift. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you'll need to run wheel spacers to keep from rubbing on the LCA's with the tires you have listed. If you really don't want to re-gear, I wouldn't go up to 35's from the 32's. 6th gear will become useless (check out the spreadsheet on this thread for specifics https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/calculator-gear-ratio-tire-size-speed-etc.38206/ )

I know everybody wants to jump to 35 or 37 inch tires right away, but IMHO you'd be better served with a locker, winch, and quality recovery gear. Those 32" M/T's one a Willys Sport and the LSD are surprisingly capable as is. Have fun with it bone stock for a while and see if it suits your needs before dumping a bunch of money into mods that you amy not even need, ya know? Just my 2 cents though
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
A 2-dr Willys Sarge Green is sooo cool! Congrats on the new Jeep. I think your list is solid. The only thing I would change to save some $$ is the stabilizer. I have run the Fox one and you won't notice much difference (if any at all) between the stock and the Fox stabilizer. The Fox stabilizer does have the "look cool" factor and will match your Fox shocks on the lift but IMO not necessary. The factory stabilizer location does hang low though so one recommendation when it comes to stabilizers (especially if you spend money on an upgraded one) is a kit to relocate it to above your tie rod if you plan to off-road in tall rocks.
Thanks. Mud and rock crawling is primarily what we have around here in Missouri so I would probably need to buy one of those kits. Thanks!

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
If you’re new to wheeling in general, I would take the stock Willy’s and just put in some trail time. You’ll be amazed what it can do. Spend money on recovery gear, and fixing what gets trail rash as you go. Before long you’ll look back at a purpose built rig you want ever want to let go!

Sponsored

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
As far as the Fox stabilizer. Go with the TS version. The ifp version will cause steering to pull slightly to the right.

I believe MrVito is correct, you are going to need spacers to run those tires. Otherwise you need to change wheels to a 0 or negative offset. Besides that, alot of shops I looked at wouldnt mount that size onto a 7.5 wide wheel.

I’m gonna go the opposite on the regear though. Im running 35’s on the 3.45 gears and its actually not bad. I see 6th but I rarely ever see 8th. Still plenty of get up and I am between 20-21mpg. Is it ideal? No of course not and when I swap axles I’ll go with 4.88’s but for the past 10k miles its been no issue.
Looks like you just made me lose more money on wheels lol. I like the look of the Black Rhino Abrams.

ms-olive-drab-green-matte-black-lip-20x9-5-std-org.jpg

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
I need to make JL owners aware of the EC option as most do not understand what EC is.
My 2021 JLUR 392 XR on 35sand lift is as good as most sports cars or for sure any high-end SUV at any price. I have only as sold by Jeep and installed except when I got mine it had a fuzzy center and just no feel for where it was pointed. I am the inventor of Exact center and as such my 392 has seen 5 different Exact Center units. Started with 75, then 87, then 110, then? now 135. All were good and fixed the issues, but the 135 canceled the wind (better) while giving me the control I wanted.

My RV that started at EC 175 is 4 or 5 past that now has a 440 lb prototype. We do a lot of testing. My 32'-2" 21000 lb Dynamax Isatta 28SS Explorer does drive like a very big SUV and with 440 psi on my recent 4500-mile Rocky Mountain and more trip I never found a wind that required a steering correction. Unlike all other stabilizers EC has a power hold at the center and a power return to the center, it is like having a 135 lb High school wrestler holding the steering wheel on each side on the 392 and like having a 440 lb sumo wrestler holding the wheel on each side for the RV. Nothing but the driver will change the direction of the steered wheels. The driver can steer with one finger. The assist is invisible to the driver. This is the biggest low-cost improvement you can make.

If you want more info email [email protected] or call 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501 Tony

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If you’re new to wheeling in general, I would take the stock Willy’s and just put in some trail time. You’ll be amazed what it can do. Spend money on recovery gear, and fixing what gets trail rash as you go. Before long you’ll look back at a purpose built rig you want ever want to let go!
Fortunately, I'm not completely new to wheeling. I wheel with a Jeep and off-road enthusiast group called Mark Twain Mafia in my Tacoma. I do intend to keep it stock for a while and get a feel for what I need though. Unfortunately, I just have this image in my head of what I want my Jeep to be, and that isn't going to be friendly to my pocketbook, lol.

Last edited:

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately, I'm not new to wheeling, lol. I wheel with a Jeep and off-road enthusiast group called Mark Twain Mafia in my Tacoma. I do intend to keep it stock for a while and get a feel for what I need though. Unfortunately, I just have this image in my head of what I want my Jeep to be, and that isn't going to be friendly to my pocketbook, lol.
In the Jeep add-on for control, Exact Center could be the most bang for the buck. It can make your wild thing a good driver with very good habits. Roky (on this forum) who has done a lot of EC testing might be a good choice to ask questions of. He builds units and has a great understanding of everything Jeep.
If you want more info email [email protected] or call 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501 Tony

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good point. I have a lifted Rubicon on 37s and my friend with his stock Willys so far has been able to go everywhere I go. In fact, one time I spun out and had to try again with the rear locker engaged and his Willys with the limited slip drove right through it 1st try.
That said, the stock Willys tires are junk.

Jeep Wrangler JL Total Wrangler Noob Here (Looking for Advice) 1661883190834

Jeep Wrangler JL Total Wrangler Noob Here (Looking for Advice) 1661883246162
Sponsored