Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I have read EVERYTHING and gone though the diagrams. I didn't do this before hand, but here are my symptoms

I have a sport with halogen brake/reverse lights. Put two Baja Design S1s on my spare tire delete plate. I tapped into the white wire and I get maybe 10 seconds of the right reverse light (where I tapped) and same time with the S1s - then it goes dark for maybe a minute then the cycle goes again. If I was drawing too much power (I believe) I would burn up the fuse (anyone know which one it is - I have the diagram but all of the acronyms escape me). I saw all of the Diode issues (which I do know the purpose of a diode) - so anyone know what my issue is?
Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I tapped into the white/violet wire on the right tail light for an additional backup LED and I have not had a problem, but I have factory LEDs. On the trailer tow wiring, the white/brown wire is good if you can get to it.

I'm not sure how the CANBUS acts with halogen lamps, but I think it would be a good idea to put a relay on what you have just to make sure. That way you could also put a manual switch to turn them on when you want.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have read EVERYTHING and gone though the diagrams. I didn't do this before hand, but here are my symptoms

I have a sport with halogen brake/reverse lights. Put two Baja Design S1s on my spare tire delete plate. I tapped into the white wire and I get maybe 10 seconds of the right reverse light (where I tapped) and same time with the S1s - then it goes dark for maybe a minute then the cycle goes again. If I was drawing too much power (I believe) I would burn up the fuse (anyone know which one it is - I have the diagram but all of the acronyms escape me). I saw all of the Diode issues (which I do know the purpose of a diode) - so anyone know what my issue is?
Instead of trying to power those lights with only that tiny wire, I might recommend using that same wire as a trigger wire feeding an automotive relay. It would require running a 12V fused line from your battery, but thatā€™s the only way I could recommend running lights of that caliber.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Can you not use the reverse trailer light from the 7 pin? It is already off a relay and fuse so no issues powering a couple lights. I am powering 2 Rigid flush cubes and no issues.

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Can you not use the reverse trailer light from the 7 pin? It is already off a relay and fuse so no issues powering a couple lights. I am powering 2 Rigid flush cubes and no issues.
iwish - I donā€™t have the tow package

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Instead of trying to power those lights with only that tiny wire, I might recommend using that same wire as a trigger wire feeding an automotive relay. It would require running a 12V fused line from your battery, but thatā€™s the only way I could recommend running lights of that caliber.
thanks- that makes sense

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

So I went to a LED guy - we put LEDā€˜s in the reverse lights on both side - stopped the on/off thing - life is good

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy