Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
This is the exception NOT the norm.

Professionals use STEEL for a reason. Research, learn and practice safe handling and maintain it properly it will last you almost a lifetime.
A quick Google search shows you post to be as much bullshit as the guy who claims you will never see it used commercially. The reason it isn't seen more commonly in heavy lifting is simply the cost of converting and the fact that synthetic line up to the task of heavy lifting was only introduced to the market around the 2016 time frame, and we've already established that STEEL will last you a lifetime, most companies arent going to change if what they have is still servicable, thats cost. Now that its becoming more available comercially, its getting cheaper and eventually STEEL will be a thing of the past. My Uncle retired the chief engineer of the City of Las Vegas traffic signal department, his last task was to convert their entire fleet of work truck winches, cranes, and line trucks to synthetic lines. And one thing the previous poster got right was the reason, safety and weight. Show me a company or government agency that isn't gaga over safety right now, and weight = fuel = money. Wait for OSHA to mandate the use of synthetic rope in the commercial industry, its going to happen at some point, sure there will be exemptions but the writing is in the wall. Hell, one lawsuit from a widow in a corporate unfriendly judicial system, because a company knew there was a safer way but chose to be greedy and got her husband chopped in half with a wire cable, is all it'd take. But you are both right on the fact that you don't see it in widespread use here in the US right now, its being used far more in Europe and parts of Asia where they have safety rules that make the US look like its the wild west all over, arguably way too strict but that's a political discussion and I'm staying away from it. And don't take me wrong, im not saying I agree or disagree with the above, it just is what it is. I'm also not saying I hate steel, ive had my share of winches with steel cable, it had advantages and disadvantages. And I say "had" because I'm never going back. Synthetic just has more advantages for me. I save weight, both on the line and all the heavy ass rigging equipment, in case you guys hadn't noticed, payload is scarce in the JL Wrangler. That saves me gas, or gives me more weight allowance for other things, your choice. Synthetic is much easier to handle and easier to be safe with that steel cable for the average person, nobody should have to be a certified rigger to pull themselves out of the mud, with synthetic it's easy for the average person to learn a few simple pulls that will get them out of most situations where a winch can be used, and safely. I can repair my own line easily. I can tailor my line to get the maximum pulling power out of my winch easily, and I can carry extensions in several lengths in a very small space with minuscule weight. It's easy to clean and inspect. That all works for me, and if it's good enough for my company to hang the planes we sell to the military and shake them for structural integrity checks, it's certainly good enough for my Jeep. You guys like steel cable, cool enjoy, i didnt come here bashing on steel. But trying to paint synthetic as some snake oil people have been suckered into buying, is not only disingenuous it's straight up bullshit. I've done some research on the subject, and had some hands on experience with both, commercially and at the consumer level, synthetic for our use is just as good as steel and in many areas better, prove me wrong? Cmon, im old and I'm gonna say time to get out of the 80's.
Sponsored