Sponsored

Synthetic Winch Line Recommendations

TXN8V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR/2012 Raptor
Looking for recommendations/thoughts on synthetic winch line replacement. I have a Smittybilt X20 10K winch. The synthetic line broke this weekend. I have spliced it back together and also spliced the damaged thimble end. I have decided to replace the line and use the old one as a spare/extension.

My question for the very helpful JL Forum community is: Are the expensive (Warn/Bubba/Voodoo/etc...) ropes worth the extra cost or will the mid-priced options (Quadratec/Badlands/etc....) work just as well? I don't mind paying for quality (esp. when it comes to safety gear) but I don't like paying for just a name. Part of my logic is that many people seem to like the Quadratec and Badlands winches, so I am assuming they also like the synthetic ropes that come with said winches.

I have looked through all 23 pages of this section and found very little info specifically about different ropes. The internet produced a lot of comparisons between steel and synthetic but not too many honest looking reviews about the inherent quality of different manufacture's offerings.

Any insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I have abused the stock 12k badlands rope for 10 months now , so far it’s in decent shape .. I bought two extra spares on sale just to keep in the tool box . 180 for the pair (2) 3/8 x 85 ft .

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Since it sounds like you know how to splice a rope, why not make your own? Buy some bulk 3/8” Amsteel Blue and make your own. That’s what I’m gonna do when my line needs replacement.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TXN8V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR/2012 Raptor
Appreciate the responses. Good to know some of the more cost effective options would work.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Can you discern the reason for failure of your line?

I like the masterpull superline XD series of winch lines. The superline is worth it to me, for something that will see heavy use/push limits. But other line can work at a fraction of the cost.

OP
OP

TXN8V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR/2012 Raptor
Yes, the Smittybilt line broke due to us performing an uphill pull and the inside of the ROAM bumper has a "sharp" edge to it where the line ended up rubbing against. It's one of those things on my list to remedy and I knew it would bite me in the arse one day, and it did. I'm going to have a buddy weld a "slotted" piece of tubing to the location where the line could contact the bumper.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Yes, the Smittybilt line broke due to us performing an uphill pull and the inside of the ROAM bumper has a "sharp" edge to it where the line ended up rubbing against. It's one of those things on my list to remedy and I knew it would bite me in the arse one day, and it did. I'm going to have a buddy weld a "slotted" piece of tubing to the location where the line could contact the bumper.
That’ll do it. I don’t know why it’s not standard practice to have a bevelled edge where the fairlead attaches. The stock steel bumper suffers from this as well.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I recommend to ditch the synthetic line and go with cable. With proper use it is every bit as safe and a lot more durable. The introduction of synthetic line in the 90's was more for safety and weight savings than anything else.

You will not see synthetic line ever being used in commercial applications. It is not durable enough. It is strictly for light consumer use. It takes very special care when using it for recovery.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Jeep Wrangler JL Synthetic Winch Line Recommendations 160246_syntheticfibreropeonaliebherrtowercranedrum_376862

Jeep Wrangler JL Synthetic Winch Line Recommendations 160246_syntheticfibreropeonaliebherrtowercranedrum_376862

Remember, synthetic line is never used in commercial applications.
This is the exception NOT the norm.

Professionals use STEEL for a reason. Research, learn and practice safe handling and maintain it properly it will last you almost a lifetime.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
This is the exception NOT the norm.

Professionals use STEEL for a reason. Research, learn and practice safe handling and maintain it properly it will last you almost a lifetime.

Very True JD!! I can only remember replacing solenoids and maybe once or twice a frayed cable on our Ramsey winch. Not bad for almost 10 years of service and multiple pulls daily.
Sponsored