Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
So a year later, which sunshade has caused the least wear and tear on your painted sport bars? Alien, Spiderweb, and JTops all seem to be nice solutions. What did you buy and what do you wish you had bought instead?

I seem to remember that JTops had a neoprene layer between the buckle/strap and the bars? Does this sound right?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@mdelzer

I have had my Alien front sunshade on for about 9.5 months now and 16,000+ miles..... and I have absolutely, no sign at all of any way or tear on my sport bars, etc..

The Alien is real decent and offers lots of bang for the buck. With forum discount you can get the front for about $65.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Another positive and enthusiastic nod for the Alien front sunshade. Had the Sunrider for hardtop opened up today and the Alien sunshade afforded a very nice and comfortable ride around town.

Honestly, I don't see how the Alien supplied mounting cords could create any wear.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I’m going to go out on a limb and say you likely won’t see any paint wear with any of the sun shades on the market since they’re static piece of equipment. If you had something that was constantly moving and rubbing against the paint then yeah I could see paint wear but none of the sun shades are designed to move.

OP
OP
mdelzer

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
I’m going to go out on a limb and say you likely won’t see any paint wear with any of the sun shades on the market since they’re static piece of equipment. If you had something that was constantly moving and rubbing against the paint then yeah I could see paint wear but none of the sun shades are designed to move.
I would think that wind buffeting the shade could potentially cause issues if you were on the highway. I just ask because I remember some people were complaining about it last year with the Spiderweb and the JTops.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think that wind buffeting the shade could potentially cause issues if you were on the highway. I just ask because I remember some people were complaining about it last year with the Spiderweb and the JTops.
Any shade, doesn't matter if it's Alien Shade, Spiderweb Shade or JTops is going to suffer from wind buffeting as you're rolling down the road. The buffeting however will have no impact on where it attaches to the sport bar unless it is not properly attached.

OP
OP
mdelzer

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Any shade, doesn't matter if it's Alien Shade, Spiderweb Shade or JTops is going to suffer from wind buffeting as you're rolling down the road. The buffeting however will have no impact on where it attaches to the sport bar unless it is not properly attached.
Right, I've reviewed all the options a bit more this morning and I'm probably going to go with the JTops option. The fact that they use nylon straps vs flexible bungy cords to me seems like a more solid in place solution for my needs.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope you like the JTops. I considered them, however ultimately went with Spiderweb Shade again. Had one of their sun shades on my JK and had no issues so I went with them again for the JL. I had no issues with the way the shade secured on the Jeep.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
The Spiderweb Shade I had flapped against the rear sport bar a ton. Heck, they even provide vinyl in the packaging to put on the sport bar BECAUSE it damages the paint.

Sponsored

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
any thoughts on dirty dog shades?

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Just purchased alien sunshade in grey for my sting grey jeep. Just to hot here in Texas to go without any type of cover.
Sponsored