Stubby front with nylon wench.

NASH392

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Seriously, though, there are so many combos, and opinions, and past threads discussing this, its hard not to joke. Mine is the jeep steel bumper with a warn vr 10 s winch. Probably one of the most expensive combos, but will do the job if needed. If you just want a bumper ornament or are on a budget, there are other combos that are cheaper that will work just as well.
Great minds think alike, we must be Jeepers!!!

I also installed a WARN VR 10S on a REQUIRED mounting bracket, so I selected a WARN bracket for the steel bumper on my 2021 Rubicon JLU 392. Relatively quick and easy installation without any problems.

Itā€™s important to mention for anyone interested for FLAT TOWING purposes with this great combination; I had to use a cutoff wheel to trim four 1/2ā€ X 1ā€ edge pieces off of the Warn mounting brackets outermost edges to fit nicely bolted side-by-side in the OEM bolt holes conjunction with a pair of ROADMASTER Tow Bar connections.

It wasnā€™t a big deal, but it was an additional process necessary for the installation on my 2021 JLU Rubicon 392.

I also agree there are tons of less expensive options readily available, but Iā€™m completely satisfied with this combination and towing setup.
Sponsored

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Congrats on the new Jeep! Welcome to the family! You'll love it. And putting on your own mods will really help you get to know your Jeep, too.

Here's what I went with...

Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. 9D95336B-FC82-4752-B8A3-EA147226B522
Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. 9D95336B-FC82-4752-B8A3-EA147226B522

LOD Destroyer Shorty, with the additional skid plate and a Warn M8000 winch. It's steel cable, not synth. But I had this winch for nine years on my JK and it's still holding up great. And since the high end Warn winches were all on backorder when I got the JL, I just moved this over from the JK. When supply chain issues eventually abate, I'll probably upgrade to a Warn Xeon with a synth rope.

Install was easy. I (a skinny wench myself šŸ˜†) did it about 99% myself, save for enlisting a friend to hold the new bumper steady while I was bolting it on (to reduce the risk of it falling on me while I was under it). Most annoying part of the install is just digging the foglamp wiring harness out of the old takeoff bumper. Basic tools will get the whole job done.

LOD is very well built and I had no fitment issues. As opposed to my JK's Warn stubby, which was nice, but I had a helluva time getting it to line up. The LOD install went much smoother. Definitely recommend.
Looks good bro, the whole rig is rockin! Do they have a full width?

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Looks good bro, the whole rig is rockin! Do they have a full width?
Thanks! And yup, they sure do. LOD offers the front bumper in a shorty (this one), a mid-width (slightly longer, but not covering the entire tire), and a full-width. It's the Destroyer line, definitely recommend.

Sponsored

rodneyladd

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
Very great input throughout this thread. As a newbie Jeep it does make sense to look at everything as in the bigger picture. Without getting into specific details I plan to use the jeep in inclement conditions. I do plan on making some trails in summertime probably out of state (From Missouri). So I wouldn't say I will be wheelin every weekend. That being said after my first trail I may change my perspective. The stubby bumper is definitely a cosmetic upgrade with rugged look, the synthetic wench is just in case or possible helping someone else as good Samaritan. I didnt realize aftermarket rear bumpers can re-use utialize factory sensors for back-up/safety.

As far as lights go I have to agree with you. I did see a pair of pillar mounts that not only looked nice but seemed very functional at night on back roads or inclement conditions. I would still like to retain the factory halogens that it came with in the bumper.

I'm not in a hurry as I don't have 600 miles on it yet so I have time to find the right fit. Kinda like measure twice cut once. Invest the time to research what and why you want the mod then choose the right fit.

I took off the stock plastic bumper on our 21 extreme Rubicon and put on a Rock Hard grill width . I don't have plans to add a winch though there are mounting holes. Our state requires a front license plate and it has to be visible .
Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. thumbnail_IMG_5759

OP
OP
Muskylounge6801

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR, Hydro Blue Pearl
I have picked a front bumper. I really like the way this one looks. Long term plan is synthetic lead wench. As I understand from other posters I will order now and receive it within a year :). The sway bar skid and backer plate makes this look great IMHO.

Question on anyone who has ordered a back bumper. I have a question about the rear tire. I have XR package with 35 inch tires. They already have a reinforced rear mount for the 35 inch spare. If I were to get the rear hauk bumper (Blue) would I need to relocate the tire? I do like the look of the blue bumper with red D-rings.

2007-Present Wrangler/Gladiator Predatƶr Series Front Bumper - Black Texture

1 Ɨ $1,736.02
Sway Bar Skid & Backer Plate Finish: Sway Bar Skid (Black Satin Texture) & Backer Plate (Ocean Blue Gloss) (0704-06): + $239.99 Grill Guard Bar & Finish: Black Satin Texture (0703-01): + $189.99 (Set of 2) 3/4" D-Ring Shackles & Finish: 3/4" D-Ring Shackle Pair - Red (0941-04): + $49.99 (Set of 2) D-Ring Shackle Isolators: (Set of 2) Black D-Ring Lockers and Shackle Isolators: + $19.58 Bumper Fairlead: Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead 1.5: + $137.50

Lil Pricey with a 6-12 month wait to boot!!

OP
OP
Muskylounge6801

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ARB stubby with Comeup Gen2 9.5rsi synthetic rope.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. thumbnail_IMG_5759
Question on the end connector for your synthetic lead. Is this referred to as a winch shackle? What are benefits pros/cons verses just a hook?

Thanks

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Question on the end connector for your synthetic lead. Is this referred to as a winch shackle? What are benefits pros/cons verses just a hook?

Thanks
Yes, that is referred to as a shackle. It replaces the clevis hook which is generally more unsafe and weak and allows for a closed system using a screw pin shackle. Anytime a hook is used, there is a chance that whatever you put into the hook opening can escape. This is especially important in vehicle recovery where the winch cable is cycling in a loaded and unloaded condition regularly as the towing vehicle or towed vehicle lurches forward. In contrary, the standard screw pin shackle is a completely contained link where strap ends have no way of escaping even during tight/loose cycles.

febcd311-dda4-48ec-b9a7-fe1835139390.jpg

OP
OP
Muskylounge6801

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have picked a front bumper. I really like the way this one looks. Long term plan is synthetic lead wench. As I understand from other posters I will order now and receive it within a year :). The sway bar skid and backer plate makes this look great IMHO.

Question on anyone who has ordered a back bumper. I have a question about the rear tire. I have XR package with 35 inch tires. They already have a reinforced rear mount for the 35 inch spare. If I were to get the rear hauk bumper (Blue) would I need to relocate the tire? I do like the look of the blue bumper with red D-rings.

2007-Present Wrangler/Gladiator Predatƶr Series Front Bumper - Black Texture

1 Ɨ $1,736.02
Sway Bar Skid & Backer Plate Finish: Sway Bar Skid (Black Satin Texture) & Backer Plate (Ocean Blue Gloss) (0704-06): + $239.99 Grill Guard Bar & Finish: Black Satin Texture (0703-01): + $189.99 (Set of 2) 3/4" D-Ring Shackles & Finish: 3/4" D-Ring Shackle Pair - Red (0941-04): + $49.99 (Set of 2) D-Ring Shackle Isolators: (Set of 2) Black D-Ring Lockers and Shackle Isolators: + $19.58 Bumper Fairlead: Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead 1.5: + $137.50

Lil Pricey with a 6-12 month wait to boot!!
Pricey I cant argue math. I got my front rear bumpers in a couple of months. I have been working so much I never had time to install them. I have the Smitty-built X20 gen three in my room waiting for more days off to install. Ill send updated picts after wench is installed.

I just finished the install on the front/rear bumpers. Looks great.
Sponsored

Attachments