Steering choices

MikeT987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
Build Thread
Link
Ok, I need some input here. Next on my list is a drag link and tie rod upgrade. I'm having a tough time deciding between Metalcloak, RPM, and Steer Smarts. Also, what is the best way to relocate my damper (and probably upgrade it)?

Pic because why not.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering choices 28EA7EE1-4FD2-41C9-8B72-AEEE396B7359
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I recently replaced my Steersmarts tie rod and drag link with the 2" aluminum RPM set. It definitely feels stronger. There was nothing wrong with the Steersmarts linkages after about 40k miles. I was just having to remove them to do knuckles, and replacing the torn boots from removal spiraled into a further upgrade in strength. I also prefer not having the protruding pinch bolts that were a bit of a bitch to orient in a way that they didn't hit other things during axle articulation.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering choices 20211013_132423
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering choices 20211013_132700

ScottW511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392
Does the RPM drag link have any kind of anti flop joints? I know the tie rod uses the cups to keep it from flopping.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the RPM drag link have any kind of anti flop joints? I know the tie rod uses the cups to keep it from flopping.
Yes, the newest version has an anti flop bushing on the knuckle side of the drag link. Also, the tie rod ends on both linkages are from Apex and coated black. My pic above is of the previous version that doesn't have the drag link bushing. I keep meaning to call them to ask if I can add a bushing to my drag link, or did something change with the rod ends other than the color.

I highly recommend the RPM Performance 2.5 ton linkage set. All around great and incredibly strong for a jeep, even one on 40's or 42's. The serrated Bellville washers between the jamb nuts and rods are a great bonus for really locking in the adjustment.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Yes, the newest version has an anti flop bushing on the knuckle side of the drag link. Also, the tie rod ends on both linkages are from Apex and coated black. My pic above is of the previous version that doesn't have the drag link bushing. I keep meaning to call them to ask if I can add a bushing to my drag link, or did something change with the rod ends other than the color.

I highly recommend the RPM Performance 2.5 ton linkage set. All around great and incredibly strong for a jeep, even one on 40's or 42's. The serrated Bellville washers between the jamb nuts and rods are a great bonus for really locking in the adjustment.
FYI, I have the Rusty’s system And they made the end links you have on your RPM system. I spoke to Apex about swapping the ends, the tie rod ends will work but the drag link won’t, they changed the length of the ends so the RPM or in my case Rusty’s bar is too long.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I have the Rusty’s system And they made the end links you have on your RPM system. I spoke to Apex about swapping the ends, the tie rod ends will work but the drag link won’t, they changed the length of the ends so the RPM or in my case Rusty’s bar is too long.
Thanks for the info! I wonder what drove the change up with the ends.

I was sitting on the linkages along with a lot of other front end parts for several months, which is why I just installed them but don't have the latest version. Now I know that when the time comes for fresh ends, I'll have to get the whole drag link. Thanks again for the heads up!

2019 JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Once you put on the aluminum tie rods, is anyone now bending the end links by the threads?
Sponsored