Starting out off the pavement...

McSmacky

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I searched the forums and didn't really find what I was looking for, so here goes...
I just recently got a brand new JLUR with the intention of taking it off road in my downtime. Long ago I had a K5 Blazer that I would take out, but I survived those adventures more through luck than skill ;) Fast forward 30 years of being a mostly responsible adult and raising kids, and I have the time to get out and enjoy the wilderness a bit. I know the Rubicon will get me anywhere I'm willing to go, my main question is what do I need to throw in the back for safety sake? I have the Jeep recovery kit and I added a first aid kit, common tool kit, tire plugs, flashlight, fire extinguisher, fire starter, VIAir and zip ties. What else should I keep in the jeep while I'm learning? I'm not really planning on major mods until I build up some skills and see what direction I want to take it. Sorry for being so long winded, thanks in advance for your replies.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
First thing you should do is find a buddy or a Jeep club to go off-road with. Wheeling alone is never a good idea.

Your list covers the basic, particularly if you are wheeling with a group. One thing that I'd add is a good jack and lug nut socket/bar that makes it quick, easy and safe to change a tire in less than ideal conditions (i.e. - soft/unstable/off-camber/rocky/wet/snowy terrain). You may want to pack extra water and potentially some vehicle fluids (brake/oil/diff fluid). Bug repellent and sun screen and good gloves and shoes are good additions as well.

Also make sure you have a good off-road app such as Gaia GPS on your phone that you trace your route/track. You can use Carplay/AndroidAuto to put it on the center screen of the Jeep.

Have fun.

OP
OP

McSmacky

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
First thing you should do is find a buddy or a Jeep club to go off-road with. Wheeling alone is never a good idea.

Your list covers the basic, particularly if you are wheeling with a group. One thing that I'd add is a good jack and lug nut socket/bar that makes it quick, easy and safe to change a tire in less than ideal conditions (i.e. - soft/unstable/off-camber/rocky/wet/snowy terrain). You may want to pack extra water and potentially some vehicle fluids (brake/oil/diff fluid). Bug repellent and sun screen and good gloves and shoes are good additions as well.

Also make sure you have a good off-road app such as Gaia GPS on your phone that you trace your route/track. You can use Carplay/AndroidAuto to put it on the center screen of the Jeep.

Have fun.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. The jack is something I overlooked, definitely a good idea. I plan to go out with my brother and some of his friends soon (they have moderate experience), I don't want to be the dead weight :)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you for such a detailed reply. The jack is something I overlooked, definitely a good idea. I plan to go out with my brother and some of his friends soon (they have moderate experience), I don't want to be the dead weight :)
You won't be. Just remember, your stock Rubicon is more capable than the vast majority of vehicles that go off roading.

Before you go....practice getting your Jeep into/out of 4LO multiple times. Engage/disengage the lockers and sway bar. Be comfortable with all that. If you are on pavement (high traction surface) avoid turns while in 4WD, as you try the above. Also, try to get quick tire deflators and set them up ahead of time to ˜18-20PSI.

You will look like a pro airing down, putting it into 4WD/sway disconnected then 4LO as needed. Lockers as needed.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer

Sponsored

OP
OP

McSmacky

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Check these posts out:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/newbie-off-roading-questions.14879/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/off-road-discussion-for-newbs.59798/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/winching-recovery-101.24720/

Lots of good posts and info in this forum

Agree with everything else- You've got a good kit already, just find a local club or group to go out with. Major benefit of going out with an experienced group is they are usually willing to teach you both technique of off road driving and also land use stuff- to keep you on legit/ legal trails so you don't end up teetering on a mountain bike trail.

OP
OP

McSmacky

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Check these posts out:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/newbie-off-roading-questions.14879/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/off-road-discussion-for-newbs.59798/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/winching-recovery-101.24720/

Lots of good posts and info in this forum

Agree with everything else- You've got a good kit already, just find a local club or group to go out with. Major benefit of going out with an experienced group is they are usually willing to teach you both technique of off road driving and also land use stuff- to keep you on legit/ legal trails so you don't end up teetering on a mountain bike trail.
Thanks for those links, I had tried searching, but somehow missed those. Just what I'm looking for.👍

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Thanks for those links, I had tried searching, but somehow missed those. Just what I'm looking for.👍
No worries. Search feature is wonky sometimes. I've definitely searched for threads by title only to have them not come up.

CPO Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, Black w/red
I was discussing this with a long time mudder friend. He swares by kinetic strap. He says the it is first item you add to your recovery gear. The Bubba Rope Renegade, is twenty feet long, giving you plenty of room to get a running start for dynamic recoveries. The 3/4-inch diameter provides a breaking strength of 19,000 pounds and is still small enough to fit within standard shackles. All you need is a friend to pull you out of your predicament.

So he says you hook up, have your "friend" pull, and then when the line is tight put on the brake and the tension on the line will do the work. That the concept antway.
Sponsored