Sponsored

Spring trip to Hidden Falls - April 3: pictures and video inside!

I’m interested in wheeling with a group at Hidden Falls, and the date that suits me best is:

• March 20th

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • April 3rd

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • April 10th

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So now that we’ve endured Snowpocalypse ‘21 (hopefully everyone is safe and getting back to normal again), who wants to go out to Hidden Falls and wheel as the weather gets better?

I’m planning to go soon. As of now, 3/20, 4/3, 4/10 are the Saturdays that I think are feasible for me. Does anyone else care to join me?

It’s possible that a good friend of mine with professional videography equipment and skills will tag along and he’s agreed to video anyone who wants it. If you want him to get video specifically of you wheeling that can probably be accommodated.

Who’s in?

EDIT: forget most of what I said above, I’m going on 4/3, anyone feel free to join me. The more the merrier. @DaddyEngineer, @CarbonSteel, @rustyshakelford, @72Blazer, @JWAustinVTX, @BDinTX, and any of the usual suspects I’m forgetting. Scott I expect to see your brother in his TJ and your daughter/son in law in the JK. if enough of you come I might break out my grilling skills for lunch.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I’m in! 3/20 or 4/3 are best, but I can make 4/10 work too (have to cancel a massage is all).

Scott

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Keep in mind that 4/4 is Easter if that matters to anyone. It seems that 4/3 is most so far. Maybe I should put up a poll. Only vote if you’re seriously interested in going.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m on vacation this week with nowhere to go so we went on down yesterday. Had a great time and ready to go back!

Our previous park experience at Hot Springs ORV park left us a bit leery of trail ratings (the “easiest trail” ended up requiring the winch). So when we got here we told the guy we didn’t want to beat up the Jeep and needed to drive home.

He recommended we take Park Road 1 up to the radio tower, then go back the way we came and hit the North Pole, then *I think* he said continue on to Baby Back, and exit via Hog Alley.

You know how it is, they’re pointing out the good spots, the bad spots, the mud holes to avoid, burned out abandoned vehicles, directional traffic, etc. the whole time he’s marking up the map and your nodding your head like you can remember anything prior to lunch...

Jeep Wrangler JL Spring trip to Hidden Falls - April 3: pictures and video inside! 853FB939-7415-4329-BE13-8A6A7C3C7C2E

So we did Park Road 1 to Park Road 3 up Wildcat Mountain. They reminded me of the firebreaks I used to drive my humvee on out in Southern California. Maybe a little rougher but no danger of getting stuck, great scenery, and nobody else around (benefit of going on a Thur I’m sure).

North Pole was a little more fun and there were some harder lines you could chose to hit or avoid.

From there navigation got pretty hard. Trail signage was mostly non-existent so you couldn’t track your progress. We started up Turkey Creek until we got to a section we *probably* could have done but the cost of failure looked like it would be a drop off rolling you onto the passenger side. Pass.

Next we went onto Baby Back which was similar to North Pole. Couldn’t find a passable trail that looked like Hog Alley so figured we would continue until we felt we needed to turn back. The guy had drawn a circle x on the map but I didn’t recall why.
Came to a mud hole with a pretty steep climb on the far side and suspected this was his reason. Found a way around it and kept going.

Somewhere along the way we found the four paths up a pretty steep hill. Not gonna lie, I picked what looked like the easiest one:
Jeep Wrangler JL Spring trip to Hidden Falls - April 3: pictures and video inside! 56FBE904-9D8D-45F5-B226-C9B50A608DA1

Then had to figure out how to get down... A path leading to the right looked promising. Down a hill up a hill, down again, scraping the belly at the top... almost got high centered. Hehe uh oh!
Jeep Wrangler JL Spring trip to Hidden Falls - April 3: pictures and video inside! 91F20DD4-8722-4AEE-9C56-5C246B836C39

Baby Hoss just didn’t give up though and we made it over... and down.

Then we had to head back home... :(
Ready to go again! 4/3 come on let’s get here

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That hill is steeper than it looks in the picture. I think those are the ones in the back by The Falls, right? I’ve never went up, there always seem to be sXs and dirt bike guys back there in the way and I avoid them. If you managed to handle it stock I hope to be able to with a lift and big tires.

If I’m remembering correctly Turkey Creek isn’t bad except for one spot where there’s a big step that might not be passable stock. I stacked a couple of rocks and made it without damage with 2” lift abs 35s.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya I think they were back by the falls not too far from that mud hole at the beginning of Snoopy Falls. We scrapped going over the top of that too lol.

I’d like to think that step on Turkey Creek washed out but it’s possible I’m just a wuss. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So here’s the thing; I will be going on 4/3. I’d forgotten that my wife has booked a mini vacation for that weekend, but it’s in the hill country nearby and she’s OK with going wheeling in that Saturday. So other dates notwithstanding, I’ll be there on 4/3. Let me know if you’ll join me. My cinematographer won’t be there, but I’ll bring him on another trip. I may possibly go on 3/20 or 4/10 also.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ya I think they were back by the falls not too far from that mud hole at the beginning of Snoopy Falls. We scrapped going over the top of that too lol.

I’d like to think that step on Turkey Creek washed out but it’s possible I’m just a wuss. ;)
I think it’s Turkey Creek or another one of those in the back corner that has some wicked washed out ruts that will swallow your Jeep whole. I was solo with no spotter and puckering pretty severely coming steep downhill when a very large group (20-30) came along a trail crossing in front of me. A couple of them saw me trying to make it and got out and offered to spot me.

SmilesPerGallon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
Me and the wife were planning to go last weekend but decided against it with the snow. We will be bringing both the JKU and JLU. Any weekend except 3/13 will work for us. We are located in San Antonio so if anyone wants to drive together we can meet up before we head out.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Me and the wife were planning to go last weekend but decided against it with the snow. We will be bringing both the JKU and JLU. Any weekend except 3/13 will work for us. We are located in San Antonio so if anyone wants to drive together we can meet up before we head out.
4/3 is when I’m going. We are spending the weekend just north of Bulverde so we are along your way on 281. If you come, we’d be glad to meet up and ride in together with y’all.

SmilesPerGallon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
4/3 is when I’m going. We are spending the weekend just north of Bulverde so we are along your way on 281. If you come, we’d be glad to meet up and ride in together with y’all.
We could meet at the HEB in marble falls. That's where we normally meet with other jeep groups. Just say the time and we will be there!
Sponsored