dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Top up or down I get 20-21mpg in a JLU. I would think a hard top would be more aerodynamic but considering a Wrangler is a heavy brick on wheels it's going to be negligible. If we were talking about a lightweight Prius with a small engine there would be a noticeable difference. If fuel costs are a concern then I'd be more worried about oil prices reported by OPIS. Fuel prices go through cycles and one day it will cost $100 to fill the tank again during one of those cycles.
Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
The soft top assembly is a good 50-60 lbs itself all in. So 50 lb difference between them. That won't change your mileage at all.

Regarding wind flow over them, that won't change anything appreciably either. Neither will open or closed windows, or even top down. You're driving a rolling brick. There's enough turbulence merely from the air getting past the corners of the windshield that what's immediately behind that doesn't matter.

Prime determinants of economy are speed, rpms, AC usage, added light bars, total weight, and maybe lift, in that order, and IMHO.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
If one were to remove the soft top from a 2 door JL, how much would the soft top assembly weigh?
Adding to my previous comment, 2 dr soft top might weight 10 lbs less than 4 dr.
Sponsored