Sponsored

Soft top - rear side window - scratches paint

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
The bottom portion of the rear side window frame is painted vs plastic and is beginning to scratch from taking the side on and off because you have to tuck the tab underneath.

I am guessing they kept this area painted to look good with the hard top. They way I see it, its a design flaw.

Mud, sand, etc will get on my Jeep. I will be in the middle of nowhere with it often - and dont want to have to clean the side just to put on my windows.

Any ideas out there, I assume this was the same issue with the JK.
Sponsored

sds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1100S & R1200RT
Occupation
Manufacturing
Any chance you could share a picture? Visuals always seem to help posts get solid advise (at least from this newbie's observations). A good close up along with a full view shot for perspective?

sds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1100S & R1200RT
Occupation
Manufacturing
Very helpful. Now watch how fast these jeepers jump on this and help with it. Thanks for posting the pics.

sds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1100S & R1200RT
Occupation
Manufacturing
Jmac, I'll admit I'm surprised at the lack of response, but I will say when I get my JL, I will be looking at an alternative. I have some guys I work with that may have coatings / finishes that will stand up to the uses you describe. Best I can tell from these pics though is that it is part of the bodywork and from the mfg'ing POV, cost kept it from being two pieces with the plastic molding for the contact surface. Thanks again for the pics and info

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
My JK had a similar painted grove (if I am understanding your post correctly). I never had a problem with my soft top scratching the paint. Maybe the design/material is different on the JL with the tabs.

Sponsored

ready2gooooo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My JK had a similar painted grove (if I am understanding your post correctly). I never had a problem with my soft top scratching the paint. Maybe the design/material is different on the JL with the tabs.
I'll second this. Over several years of removing the soft top windows on my JK, I never had any issues with the paint being scratched or worn.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I'll third that, although I've always had lighter color JK's that didn't show minor scratches as easily.
The trektops I've had in the past required a good bit of effort to get under that ridge, especially when cold. My JL top requires very little effort to snap over/into that ridge.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
I 4th that. With my 11 and 15 JKU never had an issue with the soft top bottoms scratching the paint.

The "plastic trim" as you call it is actually the plastic door surround. It is designed to be removed so that when you take the doors off and put the top down (or remove the top) there's nothing there.

Buddyboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford F-150 single cab FX4 big V8 - 2018 Wrangler Jk Sport 2 dr soft top 17” wheels
I don’t want to change the subject but, I just purchased my first jeep JK sport two-door with the Sunrider soft top with the zippers not the sliders that I thought I was going to get. My issue is the side windows that meet the door rim, don’t stay in place and can easily be blown forward so all the rain will come in the side windows. Does anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored