Rangerheave

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
As a result of mounting BFG KO2 315/70r17 and Black Rhino Warlord rims, I needed to move the spare around to prevent the rubbing on the bumper. Easy install. Took about an hour. I would recommend this product to anyone else needing the same.

Below are a couple before and after pics for reference.

IMG_20181015_152703.jpg

IMG_20181015_152624.jpg

IMG_20180926_150517.jpg
Sponsored

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I'm happy that you had a good experience with it and I hope you continue to... but word of caution to anyone thats running bigger spares, mine vibrates like crazy with a 37 attached. Sometimes the right bump on the freeway will cause it to bounce continuously for like 30 seconds. I've tried everything, moved the bump stops back to the tailgate, bungee cords etc.

It wasn't a problem when I had the Rough Country bracket (which raises the spare WAY TOO HIGH), I've since ordered the LOD bracket, hoping to solve things finally.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
That pic to the right can’t be good. No support on the bottom to hold the tire firm like the stock rubber bump stops. That wheel is going to wiggle, vibrate, move and that can’t be good for the tailgate hinges.

OP
OP
Rangerheave

Rangerheave

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
That pic to the right can’t be good. No support on the bottom to hold the tire firm like the stock rubber bump stops. That wheel is going to wiggle, vibrate, move and that can’t be good for the tailgate hinges.
Thanks for the input. I've checked it a few times. So far so good. Havent noticed any difference as of yet but I suspect I will eventually. I dont think this will be a permanent fixture.

loganbsummers

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 4 Dr, 2018 on order
Have you noticed any bending/sagging on the tailgate itself, or with the hinges?

Also does this kit leave the original bumper holes on the tailgate open? No plugs included?

Sponsored

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Have you noticed any bending/sagging on the tailgate itself, or with the hinges?

Also does this kit leave the original bumper holes on the tailgate open? No plugs included?
Not OP, but I used this bracket for a while and have been using a relocation bracket w 37s for about 4 months.

I check my tailgate for sagging often because I'm kinda paranoid, and I have yet to notice any.
The Smittybilt doesn't come with anything to plug those holes, but I was able to add a rubber plug that came in a grommet kit that I got on Amazon. It looked finished.

loganbsummers

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 4 Dr, 2018 on order
Not OP, but I used this bracket for a while and have been using a relocation bracket w 37s for about 4 months.

I check my tailgate for sagging often because I'm kinda paranoid, and I have yet to notice any.
The Smittybilt doesn't come with anything to plug those holes, but I was able to add a rubber plug that came in a grommet kit that I got on Amazon. It looked finished.
thanks for the info

Davep241

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I installed the Smittbilt relocation bracket installed on my JL with a 35” spare. The rubber pieces are making constant contact with the spare tire and yet it vibrates A LOT, even over small bumps. I can’t imagine this is good for the tailgate. So far, I’m pretty displeased with it.

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I installed the Smittbilt relocation bracket installed on my JL with a 35” spare. The rubber pieces are making constant contact with the spare tire and yet it vibrates A LOT, even over small bumps. I can’t imagine this is good for the tailgate. So far, I’m pretty displeased with it.
I would try moving the rubber bump stops back to the tailgate and extending them before you go with something new. It helped, in my chase, but still rattled way to much with 37s

Harbour35

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
The original Smittybilt brkt. had fixed brackets for the stabilizer bumpers and no tabs for a CB antenna. The revised brkt. has tabs for a CB antenna on rt. and lt. sides. The new style has adjustable brackets for stabilizer bumpers. I used the stock bumpers cut down with a band saw. There were 2 plastic plugs for the original holes in the gate. Mounted 315 70 17 KO2. No vibration. No sag

Sponsored

Hardybreed

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The original Smittybilt brkt. had fixed brackets for the stabilizer bumpers and no tabs for a CB antenna. The revised brkt. has tabs for a CB antenna on rt. and lt. sides. The new style has adjustable brackets for stabilizer bumpers. I used the stock bumpers cut down with a band saw. There were 2 plastic plugs for the original holes in the gate. Mounted 315 70 17 KO2. No vibration. No sag
I contacted Smittybilt and they said it doesn't have cb antenna mounts on it. It seems like there are 2 versions out there, and I cant get a straight answer from any of the online places.

mistakebythelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Same experience with mine...
Sponsored