Sky One Touch purchase?

tpland

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Trying to determine if the Sky One Touch is a smart decision with the snowy winters we get. Love the convenience but wondering about the durability during the winter weather if its a smart choice? Any help or recommendations?
Sponsored

First Name
Dayna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Same here, but wondering the opposite—if it’s a bad idea for the desert heat (Southern NV). I’ve got a garage to park it in, but I’ve always had hard tops, so I have no idea how durable the material is and don’t know anyone first hand who has Sky One Touch.

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited / 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
I checked these out and had some concerns. I do not think you can take the entire top off the Jeep. You can remove back quarter windows, but not the rear window. Also, how long are you planning to keep the Jeep? I will keep my two forever. I was thinking with the top that there could be something that might go wrong down the road (motor, top gets off track, etc). Also, it was a pretty pricey upgrade if I remember correctly. However, it is your Jeep so I always encourage people to get what they want, so I think you're smart by gathering info and making the best decision for you.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
I have a 2019JLUR for about a year and a half with 19k on it. I live in the North East and have this top. Best decision I have ever made. It has been snowed , rained on , ice and hail. No issues to date. ( Knock on wood). The top is made from a premium material. The convenience is great especially on the go. The top can be put back or closed even on the go. The wind noise is fine (It's a Jeep). They say you can take it through a car wash. I only hand wash. In addition with this top the two back quarter panel windows come out with a few clicks to give it a more open feel. Hope this helps.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I don't think you'll face issues in terms of the fabric itself wearing/tearing, but I'm sure mechanical issues will eventually arise. Probably once you're out of warranty because that's how the world works.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tpland

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
thank you all for the insight. I like the idea of convenience but you are probably right with the mechanical issues. I would hope to keep this as long as possible. I will keep debating..:)

First Name
Dayna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't think you'll face issues in terms of the fabric itself wearing/tearing, but I'm sure mechanical issues will eventually arise. Probably once you're out of warranty because that's how the world works.
Always, right on schedule haha.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I checked these out and had some concerns. I do not think you can take the entire top off the Jeep. You can remove back quarter windows, but not the rear window. Also, how long are you planning to keep the Jeep? I will keep my two forever. I was thinking with the top that there could be something that might go wrong down the road (motor, top gets off track, etc). Also, it was a pretty pricey upgrade if I remember correctly. However, it is your Jeep so I always encourage people to get what they want, so I think you're smart by gathering info and making the best decision for you.
Summed up my thoughts exactly when I decided to not get the SkyOne Touch.

- I didn’t like that you can’t take the entire top off (loses some of the Jeep appeal IMO).
- I plan to keep this Jeep for a long time and worry about mechanical issues.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
As a general comment to this thread....Don’t pass it up on fear. Go to the dealer and try all the tops out. Take the freedom panels off and put them back on. Think about who would help you pull a hard top off and where you would store it. Can you fit a lift? Then step over to a soft top and through all the motions required to pull a soft top all the way down and then put it all the way up. Did you like that? Do you like the way it looks or would you just pull it off like some do. Then head over to a SOT and press a button. It’s not necessary to remove the rear quarter panels for open air but do it to be fair. Imagine living with each of these options. Then weigh out the cost. The SOT is expensive up front and you should count on it being more expensive than the others down the road even if it’s not. Personally, the SOT is my daily driver so I need top up each time it rains and I want top down as soon as it’s sunny again (balmy southwest FL). Also, my lovely little wife couldn’t take off freedom panels and certainly couldn’t (wouldn’t?) do what it takes to put down a soft top all the way. Also, it’s my first new car in 20years so I had the money and don’t care if I have to buy a whole nother SOT in 5 years for 5 grand because we like it the best. Also, there’s the little concern about security of a hard top vs soft top and the SOT is nice balance there too IMHO. Anyway, I would definitely go try the three tops out on dealer jeeps before making a decision. Enjoy the hunt!

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
I just purchased a new Recon with the SOT and LOVE it. I have had a soft top before and did enjoy it, but always thought it was a pain to take all the windows out to drop the top. I eventually just used the Sunrider portion of the soft top, but still had to remove the rear window cause of wind buffering.

I then upgraded to a hard top, and never fully took the hard top off because of storage issues. I did however like the real back glass window as it was easier to open for storage. I grew tired of taking the freedom panel off all the time and carrying them around with me, so bought the Bestop Sunrider for hard top. It was nice, but was pretty loud, even though I had no water leaks.

I grew tired of that and bought the new JL Recon with the SOT and never looking back. Noise is about as loud as my old hard top so not bad at all. The convenience factor is what sold me. I just installed a mesh top and anyone that drives/rides in the Jeep loves how easy it is to operate.

Biggest question you need to ask yourself if how often do you want to take the top fully down? I rarely did this so the SOT is perfect for me. I do plan to run with tube doors as even in the rain not much comes in, and can easily close the top.

Like @Adamoni has said take a look at all 3 options and see which one you like the best and go for it.

Ken~

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I would also like to point out that even if the SOT completely dies in 5 years, it's not like the vehicle is dead. You could easily remove the SOT and get one of the other tops off craigslist for cheap. Yes, you're out the $4k or whatever it cost you, but let's be honest, we're already out probably tens of thousands for buying these over priced JL's. But we did it because it makes us happy, and that extra $4k adds a high happiness ratio to these $50k vehicles.

But I don't think it will be completely dead. Jeep sells enough of these things to keep the aftermarket interested, and whatever part is found to be problematic, some aftermarket company will hopefully come out with an improved replacement.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
@kmusk01 what mesh top did you get to go with your SOT? Congrats on the Recon! Got mine with SOT a couple weeks ago too. Lovin it.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
This is the mesh top I went with: https://www.spiderwebshade.com/coll...roducts/jl4d-power-top?variant=19439036563542

Overall it was pretty simple to install. 20 min or so total. They give you a pull strap that you loop through the bungees and it slides right through the windshield header and sides easily. Hardest part of the install is the last 2 bungees on the rear roll bar.

It did actually add some woosh-ing type noise when driving, but it sure beats having the sunroof wide open and the sun burning down on you. I am used to it as I have had one in each of my Jeeps. It's nothing loud just a different sound is all if you never had a mesh top.

Ken~
Sponsored