Rust on Evo bomber Rock skins

RamenLife

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
So I found this after car wash today. How can I fix it?
I did powder coating then went shop to put slider on but guess they drilled large and didn’t put paint on....

D71F49EA-8194-47FC-98AE-7416391B00DA.jpeg

27757E59-017A-48F9-8533-636742BD9939.jpeg
Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Those washers are too small or the holes are far too big. Water is collecting there and sitting. When installing those, they should have put a dab of RTV over the nutserts as well as the washer to make a nice seal. Seems like it's nothing more than a sloppy install. I'd take em off, get them line-xed, and bolt them back up again, with slightly larger washers, and RTV

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
The rust is the least concern I have is these photos, first thing I noticed was in the first photo where the rust hole is it looks like your tub is bent in wards with some paint chipping off on the body. Could be the reason you got the sliders but it does look like paint is chipping. Second those holes are way too big for the hardware, those washers are going to rip out.

Remove each bolt one at a time, apply some paint with a small brush or toothpick, reinstall bolt with larger putter diameter washer, mover the the next one.

OP
OP

RamenLife

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
The rust is the least concern I have is these photos, first thing I noticed was in the first photo where the rust hole is it looks like your tub is bent in wards with some paint chipping off on the body. Could be the reason you got the sliders but it does look like paint is chipping. Second those holes are way too big for the hardware, those washers are going to rip out.

Remove each bolt one at a time, apply some paint with a small brush or toothpick, reinstall bolt with larger putter diameter washer, mover the the next one.
Tube probably bent when Installed too. Because I bought this slider before I go to offroad with this vehicle and I noticed after installed.

so It seems I need to take off bolts one at the time and put paint to slider? Or slider and body?

OP
OP

RamenLife

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
Those washers are too small or the holes are far too big. Water is collecting there and sitting. When installing those, they should have put a dab of RTV over the nutserts as well as the washer to make a nice seal. Seems like it's nothing more than a sloppy install. I'd take em off, get them line-xed, and bolt them back up again, with slightly larger washers, and RTV

Do I need to take them off? Because of body mount bolt I am scared to take them off. And if I need to put bigger washers do I need bigger bolts too? If I just put bigger washers water maybe trapped inside because of gap between the small bolts and bigger washers.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like your sliders/tub took a hit and shifted the skin, removing some of the powdercoat in the process which eventually started to rust.
Sponsored