Roll bar weight limit

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
This may be a dumb question given it's a roll bar and would hold the weight of the Jeep, but my 9yo loves to stand up or sit on the roll bar in our JLUR and when he's up there i can see it bending / flexing a little from inside the Jeep.

There's nothing he can break when he's up there, correct? He's about 80lbs.
Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They make hammocks and stuff for the rollbar, I think he'll be fine.

I don't have a specific number thoug5

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This may be a dumb question given it's a roll bar and would hold the weight of the Jeep, but my 9yo loves to stand up or sit on the roll bar in our JLUR and when he's up there i can see it bending / flexing a little from inside the Jeep.

There's nothing he can break when he's up there, correct? He's about 80lbs.
There's no way he's going to break or even flex the roll bar. Those things are super solid and can hold a lot of weight.

However...

He can certainly flex the plastic covers on the roll bar and the Sound Bar. Those aren't structural and I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to break a plastic piece if he really puts his weight on it just right. Especially the Sound Bar, that's just plastic in the rear. The structural part is only in the front where the Freedom Panels attach.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I used to think you’d be fine on a rollover with our roll bars until someone posted pics in this forum of a Jeep rolled with crushed roll bars.

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Roll bar weight limit is 85lbs so be careful 😂

They will crush in a roll over, they are designed to absorb the energy so it’s not transferring to your body. True roll bars like those on buggies and race cars are designed to work in conjunction with 5 point harnesses and hold up to many many more rolls.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
There's no way he's going to break or even flex the roll bar. Those things are super solid and can hold a lot of weight.

However...

He can certainly flex the plastic covers on the roll bar and the Sound Bar. Those aren't structural and I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to break a plastic piece if he really puts his weight on it just right. Especially the Sound Bar, that's just plastic in the rear. The structural part is only in the front where the Freedom Panels attach.
I think you're right. I took a peak up there and there is a plastic component that wraps around from inside the Jeep to the outside on top of the roll bar. That is probably what he was pressing on when standing up there that caused the flex/bend inside.
Sponsored