Rundeep_32

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hi all,

I replaced the broken instrument cluster in my JL with a used one. During my search, I intentionally wanted to buy a IC with LESS miles on the display.

I was told that, if the replacement IC had less miles than what was stored in the car's computer, the replacement IC would auto synch and "roll forward" with the mileage stored in the ECU. If replacement IC has more miles, the odometer will not be rolled back to match the ECU for obvious reasons. Made sense, but it doesn't.

So I need to roll forward odometer miles to match ECU/BCM or wherever the official mileage is stored. I have a friend at the dealer who can access stored miles thru the OBD2 with one of their proprietary scanners. They won't set mileage at the dealer... you have to buy a new one, leave you Jeep on the lot for weeks so last odd reading doesn't change) while you wit for Jeep HQ to locate a replacement IC and program at their facility. . I can't not have a car for 2+ weeks and they also want $1,000 for the job... lol

I just want to "true-up" the Jeep. Any ideas?

Thanks greatly, Ed
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rundeep_32

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Great idea! Will do. Thanks, Ed

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've personally never used these, so I'd recommend vetting them, but when I google "jeep odometer programming" there are two services in the first page of results that have mail in services.

@Headbarcode

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Thanks a bunch... Gator, I sent one of the google hits an Email... I'll let you guys know what they say.

Thank you, Ed

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Rundeep_32

Some years ago, we had an instrument cluster replaced without our knowledge or permission during a warranty exam appt. to troubleshoot a malfunctioning gas gauge. The dealer refused to send said cluster to one of the mail-in services to have the odometer properly synchronized. When I began to complain, they went incommunicado.

The second insult occurred when we went to trade the vehicle a little while later and discovered a new endorsement on the vehicle's DMV record: TMU, or True Mileage Unknown. That was triggered by the offending dealer's arguably incomplete handling of the new cluster installation. This had the expected negative effect on the valuation that we received.

The foregoing occurred in the 90s, functionally pre-internet, so I limited information available. When all was said and done, I effectively took it on the chin.

Proceed carefully here. :beer:

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
@Rundeep_32

Some years ago, we had an instrument cluster replaced without our knowledge or permission during a warranty exam appt. to troubleshoot a malfunctioning gas gauge. The dealer refused to send said cluster to one of the mail-in services to have the odometer properly synchronized. When I began to complain, they went incommunicado.

The second insult occurred when we went to trade the vehicle a little while later and discovered a new endorsement on the vehicle's DMV record: TMU, or True Mileage Unknown. That was triggered by the offending dealer's arguably incomplete handling of the new cluster installation. This had the expected negative effect on the valuation that we received.

The foregoing occurred in the 90s, functionally pre-internet, so I limited information available. When all was said and done, I effectively took it on the chin.

Proceed carefully here. :beer:
Good advice... That's what I'm afraid of. with TMU it might well have a salvage title or flood history or ---fill in the blank---

I will surely bring this concern to whomever trues up the mileage.

Regards, Ed

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've personally never used these, so I'd recommend vetting them, but when I google "jeep odometer programming" there are two services in the first page of results that have mail in services.

@Headbarcode
All the online mopar parts sources are listing the IPC as discontinued, bit pricing is around $600 for a new unit. Me thinks it's because of the odometer carry over issue. I'm gonna hit a local dealer after work tomorrow, and see if they will give me straightforward price and availability.

That link above is leading to refurbished units for just over $900, but they get reprogrammed before shipping out.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I swapped the cluster in my Jeep a few years ago and had theses folks correct the mileage. Since I had a functioning cluster I just had them set it to an estimated future mileage and swapped them when they matched. Took about a week.
https://www.instrumentclusterstore.com/

Gregj

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
All the online mopar parts sources are listing the IPC as discontinued, bit pricing is around $600 for a new unit. Me thinks it's because of the odometer carry over issue. I'm gonna hit a local dealer after work tomorrow, and see if they will give me straightforward price and availability.

That link above is leading to refurbished units for just over $900, but they get reprogrammed before shipping out.
My dealer said $1,000. You pay ~$500 for the part upfront, then you leave the Jeep at the dealer. They then order the part and several weeks (months?) later, they will receive the pre-programmed IC and install it for another $500.

2 things: Having your Jeep held in purgatory for an untold amount of time would be awful on many fronts (you have to leave it at the dealer so the mileage stays exactly the same). I asked if they could give me a loaner, and they said, "sure, for $110 per day". In the last 10 years, I bought 10 Jeeps and Rams from them. 5 Jeeps since 2020. Great customer appreciation... And, the first time you R&R the IC *might* take 30 minutes round trip. For the entire R&R, you need a plastic trim spoon and a 8mm socket. Where do they get $500 from?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My dealer said $1,000. You pay ~$500 for the part upfront, then you leave the Jeep at the dealer. They then order the part and several weeks (months?) later, they will receive the pre-programmed IC and install it for another $500.

2 things: Having your Jeep held in purgatory for an untold amount of time would be awful on many fronts (you have to leave it at the dealer so the mileage stays exactly the same). I asked if they could give me a loaner, and they said, "sure, for $110 per day". In the last 10 years, I bought 10 Jeeps and Rams from them. 5 Jeeps since 2020. Great customer appreciation... And, the first time you R&R the IC *might* take 30 minutes round trip. For the entire R&R, you need a plastic trim spoon and a 8mm socket. Where do they get $500 from?
You’re paying $500 for their expertise in using said 8mm socket and trim spoon🤣

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah, I read your previous post about the dealer lot purgatory. F that!

From what I've gathered so far, the dealer is only needed to carry the odometer reading over to the new one, and program the splash screen to the specific model (Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon).

I don’t care about the odometer, as I will never sell the Jeep and can simply add 78k to the new reading to keep my own maintenance on schedule. I also have a Tazer mini that can change the splash screen to Rubicon, if it's not already set that way.

I'm stopping on the way home today, to see if a dealer will sell me the part. If not, I may entertain a refurbished one from that link above.