First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
The problem is, a) The jeep.com website doesn't have "Remote Proximity Keyless Entry" as an option. So I assumed it was part of another package (I ordered every package). b) I took "keyless" literally. You push a BUTTON to unlock it, which is keyless too. I wonder if it can be added on after the fact.
Jeep.com does have it as an option. Look under interior. See screen shot!
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 10.59.16 AM.png
Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
OP - if you're not too far along on the order, you can change it.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Man-of-Methods, on my VW if you grab drivers handle once it unlocks drivers door. If you grab ithe handle 2 times quickly it unlocks all doors. You might give that a try.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure you've got to be able to add it on after the fact... it just might be more than $500 due to labor

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
All JLs are remote keyless entry and start, but to lock and unlock remotely you have to hit the button on the Fob. If you get the proximity option (Sahara and Rubicon only) the fob sends an RF signal when you approach, and allows you to open a locked door without ever touching the fob.

No mortal human knows if this is possible to add after delivery (Rubi/Sahara). We mostly know that none of the Sport models are compatible at any level with the proximity feature.

Sponsored

ccarrico29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Polar Edition
I would imagine you could add it on after the fact, but at what cost remains to be seen. New door handles and who knows what else is needed. Best to add it to the order if you want it.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I would imagine you could add it on after the fact, but at what cost remains to be seen. New door handles and who knows what else is needed. Best to add it to the order if you want it.
Door handles, fobs, etc.

I bet each door handle is over $300, and probably the same for the Fobs.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Not sure if the following applies to the JL, but it's a potentially cautionary tale. My first exposure to proximity keyless entry was a 2008 Vette. It worked OK, but had some issues with interference from magnets on a Bluetooth receiver and occasional two pulls on the door before it would unlock.

A couple of years ago I replaced that with a 2016 Vette which had a pretty much identical system. However, this one worked flawlessly. It never failed to open on a single pull. The only issue was that the horn honk notification for locking, which is an optional setting, was not engaged. It took me a year to finally get motivated to set the audible notification and read the manual to find that obscure setting. I then got in my car and navigated through the ten screens to get to the one I needed.

Only then did I discover that, not only was the horn setting not engaged, the entire proximitry locking function was disabled. In other words, my car had never been locked for over a year. On the positive side, I have no evidence that there was ever an unauthorized entry during that time.

BTW, now that it is set, it still has the occasional two pulls necessary to open the door.

Last edited:

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
We bought our JLU off the dealer lot (didn't order) and were told it had 'remote' keyless. We also "assumed" that meant grab the handle to open. After all, who doesn't offer that nowadays! Needless to say, once we were home with our new baby and were going over it, only then did we discover our mistake. My wife is beside herself that she no longer has that luxury and has to drag that HUGE FOB out of her purse to lock/unlock the beast! The FOB is ridiculously large (IMHO).
So I'm very interested in the ability to add the "Proximity" portion to it. The FOB already sends an RF signal for the keyless start so I can't see why it would not be capable of doing that for the door handles. Possibly only needing the code entered via the dealer? I'm more than capable of replacing the door handles and would almost bet they would simply plug in. Wiring is usually already in place, especially on the Sahara model.
I need to find a dealer or mechanic that has looked behind the sheetmetal!

Carnac

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
We bought our JLU off the dealer lot (didn't order) and were told it had 'remote' keyless. We also "assumed" that meant grab the handle to open. After all, who doesn't offer that nowadays! Needless to say, once we were home with our new baby and were going over it, only then did we discover our mistake. My wife is beside herself that she no longer has that luxury and has to drag that HUGE FOB out of her purse to lock/unlock the beast! The FOB is ridiculously large (IMHO).
So I'm very interested in the ability to add the "Proximity" portion to it. The FOB already sends an RF signal for the keyless start so I can't see why it would not be capable of doing that for the door handles. Possibly only needing the code entered via the dealer? I'm more than capable of replacing the door handles and would almost bet they would simply plug in. Wiring is usually already in place, especially on the Sahara model.
I need to find a dealer or mechanic that has looked behind the sheetmetal!
Lets keep looking and talking I would also like to add this. My dealer told me the car I was buying had it but it did not, only had remote entry and start.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Lets keep looking and talking I would also like to add this. My dealer told me the car I was buying had it but it did not, only had remote entry and start.
I've learned not to trust what a car sales person says. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if I had a dime for every time I got the wrong info from them, I could buy a second JL. When I'm selecting a sales person, first, I call the service department and ask them who is the most technical savvy sales person. The service team never gives out the name of someone who is constantly causing them trouble by giving customers wrong information or who just started working for them a month ago. This eliminates the randomness of who is up next on the call rotation in the sales dept. Then, I do some research with some "mid-level" technical questions and ask that sales person. If they give me the wrong answer or say they don't know, I hang up. If they give the right answer or say they will find out and they promptly call me back with the right answer, then we continue the conversation. Treat it like an interview. Then, document everything, do your research at home on your computer, spend time with the car and make sure it has the features you were told. If they don't let you spend time with the vehicle, then move on to another dealer or ask to change sales persons.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I have the system on my Rubicon the only thing you have to do is grab the door handle and it unlocks the button on the door handle is to lock the doors (only) if you grab the handle and push the button your doors or not locked.

DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON TO UNLOCK GRAB THE DOOR HANDLE. IF YOU HAVE THE SYSTEM.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Has anyone found out if the vehicle is already prewired or set up for the proximity handles? I saw an auxiliary light switch wiring kit Mopar sells that can be installed and the dealer programs the entertainment system to be able to control the switch functionality on the entertainment screen. This being possible, I bet the system can be programmed to turn on the proximity system once the door handles are in place. As I already mentioned, the key already emits a signal of it's presence, it just needs to be read outside the vehicle and the handles with sensors need to be there.
My 11 year old Audi has features that I've been able to manage/turn on using software to enter the system. Capabilities already in place from the factory, just not 'turned on'. I.e. Heated mirrors, ability to raise/lower windows with the key fob, etc...

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
THE SYSTEM WORKS GREAT.

To unlock the door grab the door handle (ONLY)

To lock the door push the button (ONLY)

If you grab the handle and push the button your door will do nothing.

You have to do one or the other.

TRY IT WORKS VERY WELL.

Labchic

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
Medical Laboratory technician
That happened to me also. The dealer said I have it and I don't. I really want to add it I'm tired of digging for me keys everytime I get to my door.
I've learned not to trust what a car sales person says. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if I had a dime for every time I got the wrong info from them, I could buy a second JL. When I'm selecting a sales person, first, I call the service department and ask them who is the most technical savvy sales person. The service team never gives out the name of someone who is constantly causing them trouble by giving customers wrong information or who just started working for them a month ago. This eliminates the randomness of who is up next on the call rotation in the sales dept. Then, I do some research with some "mid-level" technical questions and ask that sales person. If they give me the wrong answer or say they don't know, I hang up. If they give the right answer or say they will find out and they promptly call me back with the right answer, then we continue the conversation. Treat it like an interview. Then, document everything, do your research at home on your computer, spend time with the car and make sure it has the features you were told. If they don't let you spend time with the vehicle, then move on to another dealer or ask to change sales persons.
Sponsored