Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
This Tazer, as reported on the forum https://www.zautomotive.com/product/refurbished-tazer/, is not, as told to me from Ian at Z Automotive in email, compatible with the JL.

Last evening I texted Joe, Z Automotive's owner, at 631-533-3363 to confirm this and he agreed, this linked product is not for the JL.

Joe did say that he will probably have more refurbished Tazer Minis for the JL in about 2 weeks.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm only writing here so people don't buy that which won't work in their JL.

If I'm wrong then so is Ian and Joe at Z Automotive.

Chees.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Ok, a few facts...

a post, which it appears to have since been erased, but that you can see here when it was responded to https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-jl-refurbs-avail.65796/post-1409652

suggested that you buy a particular refurbished Tazer from Z Automotive, that according to two people at Z Automotive, simply isn't compatible with the JL.

Without question, refurbished Tazer JL Minis are very much compatible with the JL, much as they're, as of this writing, out of stock...although Joe at Z Automotive thinks he'll have more in about 2 weeks

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/refurbished-tazer-jl-mini/

but that was NOT the product cited originally. Instead, this one was, the Refurbished Tazer (no "mini" and no "JL")...

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/refurbished-tazer/

...and Joe and Ian at Z Automotive say it doesn't work with the JL.

My intent is not to point out other people's mistakes for that alone. We all make them. My intent is to not have people go out and buy the wrong thing, which I think that the author of this post agrees with if he in fact was the post's eraser, although not acknowledging it as wrong for those who relied on it, opting instead to obfuscate his error in confusing three different products, the Refurbished Tazer (no good for the JL) that he originally referenced incorrectly, the Tazer JL (which, as discussed below looks like the Refurbished Tazer, is compatible with the JL and is no longer sold) and the current JL product offering: Tazer JL Mini--new or refurbished (good for the JL.)

Some history may be in order here. Originally, the Z Automotive JL product, the Tazer JL was one that plugged into the ODB II port on the JL. It is no longer sold. It looked like the aforementioned refurbished Tazer (the one above with no JL in its description) that is linked above and not compatible with the JL.

This Tazer JL product came with a necessary bypass module, still sold, https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ that owner's had to connect to the 12 and 8 pin cables of the SGW (secure gateway) in order allow the (original) Tazer JL to work.

Since then Z Automotive introduced their Tazer JL Mini: a one piece unit that hooks into the aforementioned 12 and 8 pin cables directly, where the bypass module use to, leaving the ODB II port untapped and the bypass module unnecessary to have with the Tazer JL Mini.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
The original poster of the thread I corrected claims that the above is absolutely wrong in regards to the Tazer that I mentioned, and so we're clear here, it's this one I mentioned:

He claims this Tazer is compatible with the JL. And lets make things perfectly clear, if he's telling you that he referred originally to the Tazer JL Mini (a different product) in his erased post I linked a reply to above, refurbished or new, he's not accurate. This isn't subject to debate.

Now, that said, is it correct that the refurbished tazer product linked above is compatible with the JL if you, as he suggests "use [the] ZPU Utility, and with "Recovery Mode" , reflash the Tazer refurb with the most current firmware for the Tazer JL?...."

I do not know. Better still, I hope he's right. At first I followed up on his suggestion, reaching out to Z Automotive before I did or bought anything:

Here's Ian of Z automotive's email response when I too thought Z Automotive's Samantha's response (not included) was questionable:

Hi there,

The Tazer JL was a separate product in the same form factor. We no longer offer that. The cheapest option is to wait for us to have more refurbished minis in stock, but there's no set schedule for that.

Thanks,
Ian S
Z Automotive

*If your question has been answered, help me out by not replying. Keeping my inbox clear is thanks enough!*

On Tue, 23 Mar at 1:32 PM , xxxxxxxxx wrote:
What product came before the Tazer JL Mini, if any, for the JL?

I'm sorry to question that which you do 10,000 times a week but this isn't for the JL....?

Is the product for the JL that came before the Tazer JL Mini still sold, reconditioned or otherwise--or is my cheapest option for the JL, with ability to control the factory backup camera, a reconditioned Tazer JL Mini?

Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then, just to be sure I texted Joe at Z Automotive at 631-533-3363 after this email exchange and said that I had heard on the JL Forum that this https://www.zautomotive.com/product/refurbished-tazer/ is compatible with the JL but your Ian says no. Who is correct?

Joe's response back was

It's this one:

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/refurbished-tazer-jl-mini/

But out of stock on refurbs. Will probably have more in 2 weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is it possible that two reps and an owner of Z Automotive respectively got it wrong, or that Joe didn't say that the Refurbished Tazer is expressly incompatible so much as he referred me to some other product? Sure. Not my first guess but it's possible, and I even hope the case. More savings of money if I can get the Refurbished Tazer (no JL, no Mini) that I originally linked at the top of this post to work on my JL, along of course, with the seperately purchased bypass module.

Was this response in part because Z Automotive is trying to push the new wares (i.e. the Mini new or refurbished,) in part maybe fearing that the reconfiguration process with ZPU utility on the Refurbished Tazer (no JL, no Mini) too arduous for some, making it practically unreasonable as a JL product offering? Maybe.

But if my information is wrong, do know it was sourced first from the company that makes it, 3 times.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
@OldGuyNewJeep

You wrote about me on a thread I don't have access to.

And the reason I don't have access to it is because the last time I corrected your buddy he went on a tirade that the powers that be here best decided be resolved by separating us.

Whether my comments are right or wrong factually regarding the Tazer, consider the following.

1) I sourced and documented my information from three people at the manufacturer, one being one of the company's owners. So if I'm eating crapola as you say in a meme (because coming up with your own words is just so, so hard to do), and you did your homework and read my remarks, you'd know that the same people making the product are the ones you've accused of spewing the so called crap that you claim I'm eating.

2) If I am wrong, and maybe I am (because I got wrong or misleading information from the manufacturer) I remained confused as to why the original post has gone missing. Now, maybe in fairness it was removed by members other than its poster. Why not ask your friend if he erased it, and if so, why, before you respond, if in fact you do.

3) Why does the person who posted the information conflate (I know, big word, look it up if necessary) two separate Z Automotive products: this one, refurbished or new: https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-mini/ and this one: https://www.zautomotive.com/product/refurbished-tazer/?

4) Don't you think if there might be processes involved in getting the second refurbished tazer working on a JL, assuming that's correct, and the software involved still downloadable and capable of doing that, that responsible posters tell forum members these facts so that they can make informed decisions regarding purchase? You have to admit that such information, over Z Automotive's 'contact us if there's a problem with a refurbished unit' might be useful for some less computer savvy buyers to know, particular if they wait until refurbished JL Tazer Minis become available soon, for about $30 more (factoring in the cost of the Bypass module needed with the original Tazer JL) so they don't have to deal with such things?

Said poster is a self admitted fanboy of Z Automotive. Really, I think he is honest that he has no financial stake in moving their product, I just think, like a fanboy does, that he is behaving in an obsessive or overexcited way (it's definition). You can lose objectivity being a fanboy, and fail to disclose relevant information initially, assuming it's even factual. I'm glad my words, factually correct after the fact or not, brought those details about possible software configuration to light. Maybe it's not much harder than periodically downloading new firmware for the product, but it's definitely something a fair share of readers would want to know. Cudos though, no joke or sass, for admitting fanboy status. It allows others to know that the information they receive may be biased by affiliation, and be less than complete in accuracy, as here, or worse, in other cases, be better described as fiction.

5) I'm not this other guy you say I am or anybody else. But suppose I was, what about the first 4 points would stop being facts?

I know, "TLDL" (too long didn't read) or some other stupid retort on your part may be in my future. Better, go find a meme. Why use words when you can protect yourself behind somebody else's work not necessarily even fitting or intended here.

But whatever you do, don't address any of these reasonable points. I mean, how reasonably could you?

It is possible that both the procedure to guarantee a refurbished tazer, and Z Automotive's intensions are not misaligned. A company that steers you to a better cost comparative product (a refurbished Tazer JL Mini), so they don't have to waste precious time helping people who don't follow directions with customer support, is helping both customer and business alike.

I take issue with you, not Z Automotive. In the meantime, if you must bully--and I hope you don't, why don't you use your time more productively and go after easier targets. Practice first. Get good at debate, then come see me. Your welcome for the free advice.
Sponsored

Last edited: