Rear Diff Outer Pinion Bearing Swap

SPooN887

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve been collecting parts for a gear swap on my ‘19 JLUR and I’ve been considering swapping the outer pinion double ball bearing with a tapered roller bearing. Has anyone here done that before? If so, what part did you use?

Follow-up question: are the double ball bearings a source for concern? How much weaker are they than a tapered bearing? I haven’t caught wind of many of these failing but I’m just not a fan of the ball bearing design.

Thanks!
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I’ve been collecting parts for a gear swap on my ‘19 JLUR and I’ve been considering swapping the outer pinion double ball bearing with a tapered roller bearing. Has anyone here done that before? If so, what part did you use?

Follow-up question: are the double ball bearings a source for concern? How much weaker are they than a tapered bearing? I haven’t caught wind of many of these failing but I’m just not a fan of the ball bearing design.

Thanks!
The double ball bearing design is much stronger and much more reliable than a standard tapered bearing. The only time this bearing would fail is if the pinion installation was done incorrectly. Otherwise, you can expect this bearing to last the life of the Jeep.

OP
OP
SPooN887

SPooN887

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The double ball bearing design is much stronger and much more reliable than a standard tapered bearing. The only time this bearing would fail is if the pinion installation was done incorrectly. Otherwise, you can expect this bearing to last the life of the Jeep.
Not so sure about that man. I'm inclined to agree with Jim from Dynatrac on this one. Check out 4:30 to 6:00 on the following video:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Not so sure about that man. I'm inclined to agree with Jim from Dynatrac on this one. Check out 4:30 to 6:00 on the following video:

Is it just because it’s him saying that?

Why are you inclined to agree with him?

I’m not saying you need to agree with me, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a double row ball bearing. The strength and reliability behind them won’t ever be an issue in the Dana axles. Once you go to a larger axle, they all use tapered bearings. Not just for strength, but for cost.

These double row ball bearings are used in nearly every transmission, wheel hub, tractor PTO's... etc.

The tapered bearing is great, obviously, but to go down a path to "upgrade" to a tapered bearing seems very un-necessary and pointless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPooN887

SPooN887

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I’m not saying you need to agree with me, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a double row ball bearing. The strength and reliability behind them won’t ever be an issue in the Dana axles. Once you go to a larger axle, they all use tapered bearings. Not just for strength, but for cost.
The contact surface area argument makes sense to me as does the fuel economy vs reliability one. Jeep did not use this bearing in the front axle assembly after all. I haven't had any issues with any part of my axles after 40K+ miles (with the exception of the locker sensors) so the double ball bearing might be up to the task as you say; I've been running the 37s for about 15K miles. Either way, since I'll be opening these up I want to take the time to install some peace-of-mind in there while I'm at it: I don't plan on upgrading my axles anytime soon.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

These double row ball bearings are used in nearly every transmission, wheel hub, tractor PTO's... etc.

The tapered bearing is great, obviously, but to go down a path to "upgrade" to a tapered bearing seems very un-necessary and pointless.
I don't know man, I've had 2 fail (I guess not really fail, but begin to howl like a banshee) on me now. I'm bot the only one either. If it ain't broke...........

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I don't know man, I've had 2 fail (I guess not really fail, but begin to howl like a banshee) on me now. I'm bot the only one either. If it ain't broke...........
The double row ball bearing is used in nearly every transmission, helicopter transmission, tractor PTO's, you name it.

I have yet to see one of these bearings fail on a JL. The only two ways it fails is lack of lubrication or the pinion is installed incorrectly. Of course, you could just get a crap bearing from production. I just don't see the justification to swap it out for a tapered roller. If you go up in pinion size, then I could see the need for something axially stronger. D60/D80's use a tapered bearing. The little 44 will survive forever on that double roller. It's simply overkill already for its use.

Each ball can handle between 7-8000 lbs, individually. Again, only way that bearing fails is lack of lube or improper TQ of the nut.

4th column being lbs required to crush stainless bearing balls.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Diff Outer Pinion Bearing Swap 1672086693486

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The double row ball bearing is used in nearly every transmission, helicopter transmission, tractor PTO's, you name it.

I have yet to see one of these bearings fail on a JL. The only two ways it fails is lack of lubrication or the pinion is installed incorrectly. Of course, you could just get a crap bearing from production. I just don't see the justification to swap it out for a tapered roller. If you go up in pinion size, then I could see the need for something axially stronger. D60/D80's use a tapered bearing. The little 44 will survive forever on that double roller. It's simply overkill already for its use.

Each ball can handle between 7-8000 lbs, individually. Again, only way that bearing fails is lack of lube or improper TQ of the nut.

4th column being lbs required to crush stainless bearing balls.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Diff Outer Pinion Bearing Swap 1672086693486
No I get it, and I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to figure out how to replace it with something else. I've just had 2 go bad with everything set exactly to spec.
Sponsored