First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
I was poking around today under my 2019 JLUS 2.0, and noticed this darkened spot on the front of the rear diff (19k miles, BTW). I've never had any oil spots on the garage floor, and the darkened spot is not 'wet,' so to speak. Before I take it to the dealer under warranty, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

IMG_20200214_151626.jpg

IMG_20200214_151619.jpg
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, looks like it time for a new input shaft seal. Also, is that the Dana 44 w/ lsd? I ask because of how dark that looks.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was poking around today under my 2019 JLUS 2.0, and noticed this darkened spot on the front of the rear diff (19k miles, BTW). I've never had any oil spots on the garage floor, and the darkened spot is not 'wet,' so to speak. Before I take it to the dealer under warranty, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

IMG_20200214_151626.jpg

IMG_20200214_151619.jpg
Hi Ran4,
We are glad to see that you were able to identify this concern- if you require any additional assistance while being serviced by your dealer, we are happy to help via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Hi Ran4,
We are glad to see that you were able to identify this concern- if you require any additional assistance while being serviced by your dealer, we are happy to help via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Thanks Kathryn. The local dealer wasn't concerned about it. He said it was more than likely grease from the bearing, and not a diff leak. He said to watch it, and if it becomes 'wet' or dripping that I should bring it in..

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Spray it down real well with some simple green, if it comes back then take it to the dealership for them to fix. Just because it isn't a serious leak now doesn't mean it wont become one in 10thousand plus miles.

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Spray it down real well with some simple green, if it comes back then take it to the dealership for them to fix. Just because it isn't a serious leak now doesn't mean it wont become one in 10thousand plus miles.
Thanks. Great idea. I'll crawl under there today and clean it up real good..

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Kathryn. The local dealer wasn't concerned about it. He said it was more than likely grease from the bearing, and not a diff leak. He said to watch it, and if it becomes 'wet' or dripping that I should bring it in..
Thanks for the follow up, Ran4. While I am unable to diagnose your vehicle, I do trust the dealer's current diagnosis. However, I encourage you to continue to monitor this concern to ensure that it does not persist. In the future, please know that we are happy to offer assistance via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yeah, looks like it time for a new input shaft seal. Also, is that the Dana 44 w/ lsd? I ask because of how dark that looks.
Curious how you could tell how dark the oil is by looking at a “wet” spot against black paint.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
As I said in the original post, it wasn't 'wet,' just darkened. I've since scrubbed it clean to see if the spot re-appears.
Yes which is why I put “wet” in quotation, because I know oil stains can appear “wet” on a surface without feeling the wetness.

Like I already said, how could the poster tell how dark the oil is when it’s against black paint.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes which is why I put “wet” in quotation, because I know oil stains can appear “wet” on a surface without feeling the wetness.

Like I already said, how could the poster tell how dark the oil is when it’s against black paint.
I've spent more years than I'd like to admit chasing wet spots on trucks and heavy equipment. I don't mention that to imply my being the definitive authority on wet spots, especially one in a photo on the internet. That's why i said it looked dark, rather than saying it is dark.

My train of thought was if he has the lsd rear, it would be a wise idea to give extra attention to condition of the oil. If it was blackened at all by premature clutch wear, it could be nipped in the bud now, rather than later when more backordered parts would be needed.

Also, to the OP, the input bearing is bathed in gear oil not grease like the dealer tech told you. Hope it gets sorted for you.
Sponsored