Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don't...which isn't to say it doesn't exist.

If it doesn't exist, and I couldn't convince you to incorporate other security measures, like securing the entire cargo area instead, or some under the seat lock box....

in other words if you were adamant about locking the cargo tub and only the cargo tub I'd make one.

Tools: jig saw, contour gauge, 1/2" plywood, Titebond wood blue, relatively thick sheet metal (for the top), JB Weld, small lock cylinder metal hole saw, drill, router, piano hinge, jewelry cabinet lock, angle grinder (a hack saw will do.)

1) Take measures of the contour of the cargo tub's walls at various sections of its perimeter and transfer them via pencil to plywood. Cut them out with the jig saw. Lay them out on a flat surface to form the contour.

2) Repeat, only stagger your measurement starting point by, say, an inch in either direction.

3) Glue and clamp the two layers together such that each supports the other where one segment of the contour ends, and the next begins.

(If this isn't clear, watch how this guy makes a circular table skirt's height in segments here)

4) Build this process up to the cargo tub's height. Every level of height should be staggered from the prior. You can just repeat steps 1 - 3.

5) When completed, trace out the walls on to plywood. Cut out the floor of the box with a jig saw.

6) Glue and Screw the boxes floor to the walls

7) Cut two or more holes in the floor of the wood box for securing it somehow to the rig.

8) Trace the walls on to sheet metal. Cut this out with an angle grinder/hack saw to be your box top.

9) Attach piano hinge to the inside of the box top with JB Weld along straight portions of the wall's contour. Attach it to the interior wood back wall with screws.

10) Drill hole in box top for lock cylinder with metal hole saw whose size matches the lock cylinder.

11) Router the walls for smoothness or at least to make a slit in front wall's inside to accept the lock's rotating locking shaft.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The rear panel in the cargo area kinda of locks in place when the tailgate is closed.

Lock the tailgate and that panel cant be lifted unless you open the tailgate.

??

What's the "rear panel" you refer to here Chris, the cargo door (i.e. tailgate door) and/or the cargo tub lid, or something else?

What if the rig's top is off? I might be wrong but I thought this is why the OP might be asking for a locking tub...

...maybe not, maybe I missed something.

OP
OP

Laidbackduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
The rear panel in the cargo area kinda of locks in place when the tailgate is closed.

Lock the tailgate and that panel cant be lifted unless you open the tailgate.

I was thinking of locking my gun in there instead of buying the mini safe for the center console. It would only be used when I cant take it in with me. I like the idea of locking it twice, once with the tailgate door and again with a locking panel. I’ll probably just buy a handgun safe and bolt it down in there.

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I’m looking for a back seat to tailgate lockable panel. Something like a tonneau cover but with the seats up cause I’d like to have a decent amount of music equipment back there but I couldn’t afford the 4 door at the time and am kicking Myself for not waiting.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What's the "rear panel" you refer to here Chris, the cargo door (i.e. tailgate door) and/or the cargo tub lid, or something else?

What if the rig's top is off?
I noticed this was never answered. He's talking about the lid/cover that you lift can lift up to gain access to the cargo tub in the back of the vehicle. When the tailgate is closed, the lid cannot be opened even with the top off.