Rain / Overnight Cover - Topless

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
Apologize if this has already been covered. I've seen a few of these posts, but haven't been able to get an answer. I also understand new products are coming available every day!

I will be planning on removing my JLU hard-top for various trips this summer and hope to keep it off for a week+ at a time. Without a garage option to cover the Jeep, I'm looking for something that I can use in a rain emergency, but also use to cover the car overnight or during a rainy day without having to put the top back on.

It seems most covers are marketed for 'emergency' use, however will any of the below also work for overnight protection from storms etc.?

Considerations:
1. RainGear Trail Cover : https://www.raingearcovers.com/product-page/unlimited-4-dooor-jl-2018-trail-cover
2. Mopar Cab Cover: https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215370.html
3. SmittyBilt: https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-jeep-wrangler-cab-cover-gray-1071.html
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I have the Mopar cover. It's pretty heavy duty. It definitely is not a disposable "emergency" cover in the vein of those thin plastic emergency rain jackets for people. It won't bat an eye at overnight storm protection. That said, I haven't used it day in and day out for weeks at a time. But it certainly seems like it would hold up well for a long time.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up a rain gear cab cover to use this year (haven't used it yet). It is heavy duty! I also do not have a garage and I definitely will be using it (without worry) for overnights when I don't feel like putting the top back up or the doors on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I picked up a rain gear cab cover to use this year (haven't used it yet). It is heavy duty! I also do not have a garage and I definitely will be using it (without worry) for overnights when I don't feel like putting the top back up or the doors on.
That’s what I was currently leaning towards. I’ve heard the Mopar cover is thinner; unsure it will have enough strength to protect as an overnight cover. I’m also looking for peace of mind with leather seats / technology....

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
I used a Bestop Trail cover on my 02 TJ for overnight stays outside instead of putting top up and it worked great. It was heavy duty, basically same material soft top was made of. I will be getting one for the new JLU as well. However, something to watch out for is, if it rains, depending on how the top sits or tight it is, rain would pool on it and put tremendous pull on it trying to pull down in cab and stretch seams and cause them to leak some. I ended up having to put a board across the roll bar to hold it up so rain wouldn't pool.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Keep in mind many are not waterproof .

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Highly recommend the RainGear. I've had mine about two and a half years now and use it from about April - October when my hard top is off for the season. Mine has held up well to hot days and intense sun which it sees far more of than rain. I use it in conjunction with a JTops mesh sunscreen. Makes it easier to deploy and also prevents the rain pooling issue that can occur as mentioned earlier. Straps are long enough to accommodate a variety of aftermarket equipment, you'll want to trim them once you figure out your desired attachment points. Very heavy duty, high quality hardware, great fit, and it actually rolls up and fits back into its storage bag!

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
Highly recommend the RainGear. I've had mine about two and a half years now and use it from about April - October when my hard top is off for the season. Mine has held up well to hot days and intense sun which it sees far more of than rain. I use it in conjunction with a JTops mesh sunscreen. Makes it easier to deploy and also prevents the rain pooling issue that can occur as mentioned earlier. Straps are long enough to accommodate a variety of aftermarket equipment, you'll want to trim them once you figure out your desired attachment points. Very heavy duty, high quality hardware, great fit, and it actually rolls up and fits back into its storage bag!
Love the fact that the RainGear is made in USA just outside MOAB. Always like to support the local boys. This will be what I will get. Thanks!!

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting. I don’t have or need a rain cover. I do have the Bestop Sunrider and I can say that it is completely waterproof. I would recommend a Bestop product that uses a similar material.

question though: do these types of rain covers fit over the door mirrors?

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the JTops sunscreen :) I figure that will help avoid any puddling in the rain with the RainGear. Thanks for confirming that.

D48A0CE8-083E-4A0F-9758-75CC5EF9AD20.jpeg

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have the Rain Gear cover. I used it every night last year from around May-Oct and it worked great. If you’re expecting a windy storm then you’ll want to take the time to secure the straps well but otherwise I didn’t secure it fully for just light rain protection.

Be sure to order the appropriate one for your vehicle (top down vs fully removed). Also in the mornings I would spread it out a bit on my porch to allow it to dry if there had been rain overnight.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the Rain Gear trail cover for over a year & have never had a leak. I lay a slab of wood across the top of the Jeep to keep rain from puddling up top. Works great.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Those three are basically the same cover with a different brand. I have the Mopar version and it works well for
nights at the beach or rainstorms while you’re parked at work.

Takes 3 minutes to put on and folds up to fit under the storage lid in the trunk.

It’s secure enough to stay on all night even in a windy storm. The only pooling I get is in the back corners over the taillights.
Sponsored