turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Lmfaoooooo at people that still use radar detectors. I used a beltronics RX65 for years until the Texas sun murdered it then replaced it with a new one. I stopped using it once Waze became popular and never looked back.

Use Waze and common sense. My DD is a lowered s2000 with the 2nd loudest exhaust ever made for them. I have gotten zero speeding tickets despite driving a riced out s2000 like you'd expect it to be driven.

Leaving all this shit on your dash is just begging to have your car broken into. And if you're in such a hurry to get places why are you wasting time unplugging, unmounting and hiding your detector EVERY TIME you park the car and then doing the opposite once you get back in?

The time you just saved going 8mph over is now a wash.
Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Lmfaoooooo at people that still use radar detectors. I used a beltronics RX65 for years until the Texas sun murdered it then replaced it with a new one. I stopped using it once Waze became popular and never looked back.

Use Waze and common sense. My DD is a lowered s2000 with the 2nd loudest exhaust ever made for them. I have gotten zero speeding tickets despite driving a riced out s2000 like you'd expect it to be driven.

Leaving all this shit on your dash is just begging to have your car broken into. And if you're in such a hurry to get places why are you wasting time unplugging, unmounting and hiding your detector EVERY TIME you park the car and then doing the opposite once you get back in?

The time you just saved going 8mph over is now a wash.
Waze is great ...unless you are in a sparsely populated backroad, where the local deputy is hanging out. Its not as common a case for most drivers, but it is a place where we are more likely to hammer it.

OP
OP

FenderCustom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 392, Audi R8
I found a cool mount that snaps into that recess on the dash. I forget the name but will take a look and a photo of it today and post it. Works great. It has Velcro on it . Super easy to take my Valentine on and off it. I use Waze and V1. The V1 confirms that the Waze report is accurate. Neither works well if you dont have other cars around you, like an empty byway. You want the radar to hit a car in front of you if possible.
Very interested to see what you have, thanks.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my setup. Only works if you have adaptive cruise. I need to revise the mount for a few reasons
20211029_104312.jpg
Very interested to see what you have, thanks.
Here it is. Brand is Brodit. JL specific. My Valentine is in my wifes car but I only put it here on longer hwy drives as I never speed around town whats the point? On 3-5 hr hwy drives it makes a big difference going 75 vs 65 at least to me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Radar Detector Mount ideas? B8D283A7-E640-4083-83D6-4DB945FD7399
Jeep Wrangler JL Radar Detector Mount ideas? 3643F11C-4589-41E6-AD4B-0DCD6B19D479

Sponsored

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
buzzdoc, great setup. What 67 Designs parts did you use? Really like their products.

I see many replies focused on getting tagged on the highway. My experience has been that running Waze and a Max360 or V1 (I've run both, like the V1 a bit better) on the highway is pretty good for radar. Usually the other cars around ferret out a few hits that provide warning with a good detector.

The side roads are a different matter. The worst where I used to live were the 35 and 45 mph posted roads. The locals had great hiding spots and would peg you going 40 in a 35, etc.
I bought the mini carbon fiber arm along with the MagMount G3.

Edit- Actually- I think it might be the one smaller than the mini.

Last edited:

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Are radar detectors still relevant in the age of Lidar and pulsed/instant-on radar guns?

This isnt a flame, I am asking cause I really don't know.

If they are still useful then I need one. I start rowing through the gears in my brick and thoughts of speed limits begin to escape my mind.....its gotten me in trouble a couple times with the local majestrates. I don't know how you 392 guys stay out of jail.
Nope. not generally. They’re useless against LIDAR, but users continue to think they’re being “saved“ because troopers/officers/deputies choose not to stop them after their detector has warned them.

If you’re curious, do a ride-a-long with an experienced trooper working traffic. When they activate the radar you’ll see a speed displayed then, a second later, you’ll see the nose of the target vehicle dive as the driver anchors his brakes. That’s the guy with the radar detector. When he’s stopped he’s MUCH more likely to get a ticket, because it’s obvious his speeding is deliberate, not accidental.

Police are trained to use the radar as a speed confirmation device, toggling the “on” switch only when the approaching vehicle is obviously fast. Cops who have done speed enforcement for many years can often estimate speed within 2 or 3 mph, because they’re estimating speed several hundred times per day with immediate confirming/corrective feedback from the radar/lidar.

Cops will also occasionally sit in the median with the radar running, so they can catch up on paperwork while providing a visual deterrent. Approaching radar detectors will be screaming in that situation, but the cop isn’t really paying attention to the detector unless he hears the tone of a vehicle approaching at extreme speed. (Radar units emit a tone that goes higher with speed, so the cop will know if the approaching vehicle in in the 70s, 80s, 90s, or 100s without looking up from the paperwork... They may just keep working through paper unless they hear the tone of an especially dangerous speed.)

Waze isn’t a perfect solution either, because police move, and lots of cops run the app to see when their location is “burned”. Many also drop false police markers a few times per hour to slow traffic and erode faith in the app.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Waze isn’t a perfect solution either, because police move, and lots of cops run the app to see when their location is “burned”. Many also drop false police markers a few times per hour to slow traffic and erode faith in the app.
I'm a Waze fan, but it would suffer from lack of crowd-sourcing in a less populous area. Here in Maricopa County it seems to update nearly instantaneously.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I'm a Waze fan, but it would suffer from lack of crowd-sourcing in a less populous area. Here in Maricopa County it seems to update nearly instantaneously.
Yes, but the number of users continues to grow, and the fact that it shows the number of users in your area give you a built-in measure of local accuracy.

In lower population/traffic areas radar detectors are nearly useless too, because the person using the detector doesn’t benefit from reflections from prior targets. When you’re the only one on the road you’re hosed, because the cop has your speed displayed long before you can react and slow, and your reaction to the radar/LIDAR will tell him you have a detector, even if it’s concealed.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Whether a radar detector helps you or not is a roll of the dice. In heavily traveled routes, it can be a big help. Troopers are zapping lots of cars that look faster than the rest and if you're coming up behind those cars, you'll register a radar well before he can get a return that's readable, if your detector is worth its salt. If the trooper hasn't been zapping anyone until you come along, your it. Sorry. But my old detector has saved me a few times in the heavily traveled routes like between Phoenix and Tucson.