Proper setup according to CHP

JeepWannaBe

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
If I want to get 35 inch tires with 16 inch wheels, what's the correct way that would abide by CA law? I understand the law as tires are required to be within the fender. I realize that the cop would be an ass to pull you over for it, but I'd rather not give them an excuse.
Sponsored

LBChip

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
Good question! I've had oversized tires on my Jeeps throughout the years and not once have I been questioned. I currently have 37" on my jeep now. I think its actually more about the mud flaps in the rear, than the actual flares or fenders. It is my understanding that the laws are more concerned with large tires throwing up junk and or water during a rain event (never happens in CA :) ) to the car behind you. So I guess I really didn't answer your question. I did do some research, as I too wonder. I found this link below. Pretty vague.

http://www.liftlaws.com/california_lift_laws.htm

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
Just for reference, I work in California and in Law Enforcement for a city. I have never pulled over anyone for tires that extend beyond the fender lol. The only "cheesy" thing I've used to pull people over are modified exhaust systems :p

I think the section you're looking for in specifics is California Vehicle Code 27600. That cover's mud flaps and fenders from protecting other vehicles.

Again, the odds you find someone to stop you for this are very very slim. Not even the traffic officers with our Department would stop for that. We focus mainly on moving violations (speed, right of way, etc).

Evolved6

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just for reference, I work in California and in Law Enforcement for a city. I have never pulled over anyone for tires that extend beyond the fender lol. The only "cheesy" thing I've used to pull people over are modified exhaust systems :p

I think the section you're looking for in specifics is California Vehicle Code 27600. That cover's mud flaps and fenders from protecting other vehicles.

Again, the odds you find someone to stop you for this are very very slim. Not even the traffic officers with our Department would stop for that. We focus mainly on moving violations (speed, right of way, etc).
He's correct, I am a traffic officer for a local police department, and have never stopped anyone for it either... thought there are several cvc sections that apply to modded vehicles, most officers probably wont bother you, and if they do, most often wont write you a ticket, unless you ask for it

pdavey168

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Grey, 2020 JT Launch Edition Bright White, 2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
CEO offroadparts.com
The best answer is to move out of California and you won't have to worry about all their silly laws lol.

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
The best answer is to move out of California and you won't have to worry about all their silly laws lol.
Well hello, fellow Las Vegan and Sting-Gray (eventually)

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Ha, I am friends with a few in blue with jeeps, every single one of them are lifted with 35's or 37's, no flares or flaps

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
So why are you California Haters in this group?
I don't hate California Cali Hates me I was born and raised here But luckily I've lived all over CO/MT/VA/AZ/ etc Cali has lost its soul what used to make it great has consumed it and now it has no identity Bleeding its people Dry and what's wrong is right and what's right is Wrong ..Rip Cali you'll be missed lol

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
If you were born here you wouldn't refer to it as 'Cali'.
I’m born and raised in “Cali”, specifically Norcal. Hella Californian.

I’m of the opinion that if I am stopping a car for traffic violations only, it needs to be some sort of dangerous driving behavior.

If I stop a car for some type of equipment/mechanical violation, it’s because they just went mudding through some farmers field and are throwing watermelon size chunks of mud at other cars on the road with their 35x15.50x22 tires. Or they are riding their straight piped Harley, Honda, camaro, mustang, you get it, through a neighborhood at 6k rpms at midnight.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’m born and raised in “Cali”, specifically Norcal. Hella Californian.

I’m of the opinion that if I am stopping a car for traffic violations only, it needs to be some sort of dangerous driving behavior.

If I stop a car for some type of equipment/mechanical violation, it’s because they just went mudding through some farmers field and are throwing watermelon size chunks of mud at other cars on the road with their 35x15.50x22 tires. Or they are riding their straight piped Harley, Honda, camaro, mustang, you get it, through a neighborhood at 6k rpms at midnight.
Isn’t NorCal where most of the normal people are and SoCal/San Fran/LA is the mecca for the looneys?
I’d love to come do the rubicon and see Lake Tahoe but I have zero interest in California political or social climate

Brett

lagunajim

Um, San Francisco is in NorCal my friend.

If you’re gonna slam my state please take it to the politics and firearms section.

Or at least tell us where you’re at so we can editorialize about your state.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Um, San Francisco is in NorCal my friend.

If you’re gonna slam my state please take it to the politics and firearms section.

Or at least tell us where you’re at so we can editorialize about your state.
Texas. Not slamming the state just the looneys. Them and the ones from Colorado are flooding our state trying to pull their stunts here. I thought y’all were talking about splitting into two states. Didn’t recall any of the big cities being apart of the north but wasn’t something I studied up on

Brett
Sponsored