Plastidip Stock Rubicon Wheels

TechSlinger

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon Unlimited
Painted the stock Rubicon wheels black w/ Plastidip. I've seen a few folks asking what they'd look like and figured I'd give it a go while trying to decide on the wheel/tire setup I want to go with. Also swapped the hardtop for the soft top thanks to some decent weather this week. No complaints so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL Plastidip Stock Rubicon Wheels Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 8.42.17 PM
Sponsored

JoeDoc359

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
I Plastidip'd my stock Sport S wheels a few weeks ago and am really happy with the results. If I look closeup I can find imperfections, but for the cost savings, I can't complain.

20210212_083629-COLLAGE.jpg

hipaigee

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I Plastidip'd my stock Sport S wheels a few weeks ago and am really happy with the results. If I look closeup I can find imperfections, but for the cost savings, I can't complain.

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastidip Stock Rubicon Wheels 20210212_083629-COLLAGE
Hey there! Did you take the wheels out of the tires to plastidip or no? I'm planning to do mine this weekend and wanted to get some insight from someone who did this -- Thanks!

JoeDoc359

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Hey there! Did you take the wheels out of the tires to plastidip or no? I'm planning to do mine this weekend and wanted to get some insight from someone who did this -- Thanks!
Sorry for the late response. I left the tires on. I took business cards and put them between the rim and tire to avoid overspray on the tires. I even changed tires to 33's after the Plastidip and did not have to retouch any of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastidip Stock Rubicon Wheels Tire Overspray Barrier

hipaigee

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Sorry for the late response. I left the tires on. I took business cards and put them between the rim and tire to avoid overspray on the tires. I even changed tires to 33's after the Plastidip and did not have to retouch any of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastidip Stock Rubicon Wheels Tire Overspray Barrier
Thank you so much! I was thinking of using a deck of cards so I don't have to take the wheels completely off. Nice to know how well it holds up! Can't wait to dip mine! Eventually I'll get some sweet new wheels, but there's just too many options for upgrades so I have to be wise with my pennies!

JoeDoc359

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Thank you so much! I was thinking of using a deck of cards so I don't have to take the wheels completely off. Nice to know how well it holds up! Can't wait to dip mine! Eventually I'll get some sweet new wheels, but there's just too many options for upgrades so I have to be wise with my pennies!
Good luck, it's really simple, just time-consuming. I did one wheel at a time over a few days. I started with the spare and just rotated off a wheel until all the wheels were done. I think I put on about 6 coats per wheel. Get one can of Dip per wheel plus one more as an extra.
Sponsored