First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Does anyone know why one of the hood bezel designs say 'with pedestrian warning'?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/hood-air-inlet-bezel-jl-jt-

Is it to do with the openings or is it related to different trims?

Thanks
I don’t know what the ‘pedestrian’ reference means but they’re what we get in the U.K.

Your hood looks to be the same as ours and is a different shape to the US version, also we get steel not aluminium. These differences are allegedly for pedestrian safety.

I’m not sure the bezels are interchangeable, they look to be a different shape to me.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
The bezel has larger inlets to house a pedestrian-sensing thingy that triggers deploying a pop-up hood. I've read some articles about it, but I readily admit I have very little mechanical knowledge of this.

NHTSA has a write-up on it. It also mentions how we "...don't have pedestrian-protection" vehicle requirements here in The States.

https://www-esv.nhtsa.dot.gov/Proceedings/24/files/24ESV-000111.PDF

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
The bezel has larger inlets to house a pedestrian-sensing thingy that triggers deploying a pop-up hood. I've read some articles about it, but I readily admit I have very little mechanical knowledge of this.

NHTSA has a write-up on it. It also mentions how we "...don't have pedestrian-protection" vehicle requirements here in The States.

https://www-esv.nhtsa.dot.gov/Proceedings/24/files/24ESV-000111.PDF
Interesting read but there's nothing of the sort in the hood vent itself.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It sounds like they might be accommodations for a system that doesn't yet exist. Perhaps you'll see that implemented in response to the NCAP score.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like they might be accommodations for a system that doesn't yet exist. Perhaps you'll see that implemented in response to the NCAP score.
That's my understanding of it as well. We already know there's nothing in the bezel yet, but could be in the near future. Forklifts (obvious reasons) and some EV's already use an audible pedestrian-alert system.

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
That's my understanding of it as well. We already know there's nothing in the bezel yet, but could be in the near future. Forklifts (obvious reasons) and some EV's already use an audible pedestrian-alert system.
I think it's for future proper hybrid models:
Sponsored